The Student Room Group

How come women are discouraged from staying active/adventurous?

Im not sure if its true as a whole but ive come across it in several instances. When i told my boyfriend that i used to climb buildings and practice skateboarding skills on a skatepark etc when i was about 13- 15 he said 'sounds like me at 14, thats the age you should have been experimenting with lads not climbing'. He often points out how I dress childish as im always wearing trainers but he's in his 30's and wears trainers and cartoon t shirts. My cousins boyfriend told her she was getting too old to keep going to judo 3 times a week, but many older men do.

I do athletics and often notice that when girls get to about 19 to early twenties they give up, yet there are plenty of men of all ages still train. Its annoying as i feel the odd one out and dont have anything in common with girls my age many have kids. I dont want to settle down nor have the time pressure of having kids and all that.
No offence but it sounds like he has double standards when it comes to gender 'roles' , I wish I could climb buildings tbh
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Im not sure if its true as a whole but ive come across it in several instances. When i told my boyfriend that i used to climb buildings and practice skateboarding skills on a skatepark etc when i was about 13- 15 he said 'sounds like me at 14, thats the age you should have been experimenting with lads not climbing'. He often points out how I dress childish as im always wearing trainers but he's in his 30's and wears trainers and cartoon t shirts. My cousins boyfriend told her she was getting too old to keep going to judo 3 times a week, but many older men do.

I do athletics and often notice that when girls get to about 19 to early twenties they give up, yet there are plenty of men of all ages still train. Its annoying as i feel the odd one out and dont have anything in common with girls my age many have kids. I dont want to settle down nor have the time pressure of having kids and all that.

30s ?!!!
It's sexism. The sexist attitudes that so many on this site claim don't exist. But there we are. Maybe you should try explaining this double standard to him.

And most importantly, what the hell is a man in his 30s doing wearing cartoon t-shirts.
He sounds like an ass. Dump him. Do what you want, the world is yours my friend. I've never been discouraged from doing activities and sports. All my girl friends do sports and I LOVE being outdoors and adventuring since a young age. We need to be more connected to nature, not 'experimenting with lads' boys only care about finding partners and are obsessed with sex with their little tiny minds that's all they think about.. KIDDING :biggrin: nobody wants to settle down nowadays because there's so much out there in the world for us to experience!!! Keep being active and taking care of your body and **** the rest of people and what they EXPECT you to live your life like. Who will care about YOUR life and YOUR decisions on their death bed? NOBODY BUT YOU. So live your life with no regrets.

I'm attracted to active women like yourself :top:

Still got a sense of adventure. I don't wanna have to slow down massively and get fat at middle age. I wanna do stuff! :dumbells:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Blondie987
No offence but it sounds like he has double standards when it comes to gender 'roles' , I wish I could climb buildings tbh

You can! Sounds like that slogan 'she can' lol.
Its like he's trying to make a point constantly about how im more like a man than a women in my ways. Im only 4ft11 and look female yet he says that he knows a 5ft 10 female lorry driver who is more feminine than me lol.
Reply 7
Original post by Twinpeaks
It's sexism. The sexist attitudes that so many on this site claim don't exist. But there we are. Maybe you should try explaining this double standard to him.

And most importantly, what the hell is a man in his 30s doing wearing cartoon t-shirts.

well its stuff like simpsons and adult humour but still they are cartoony lol.
Original post by M14B
30s ?!!!

Exactly my thought. I am 21 and don't even look at cartoon shirts, let alone wear one.:smug:
I've also noticed that women tend to let motherhood be a reason to stop doing active things as well. That deosn't have to happen either!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-west-wales-16812023
Reply 10

I don't think you should listen a 30 something guy that wears cartoon T-shirts and trainers. I dropped these at 18.
Original post by Josb
I don't think you should listen a 30 something guy that wears cartoon T-shirts and trainers. I dropped these at 18.

You never wear trainers? They are so comfy.
Reply 12
You never wear trainers? They are so comfy.

I don't want to look like a chav.
Original post by Josb
I don't want to look like a chav.

What about a sk8er boi?

Reply 14
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
What about a sk8er boi?

I wore something like that at 15.
Original post by Josb
I wore something like that at 15.

Well if you are a mountain biker or rock climber you can wear that :huff:

I don't have money to piss away on shoes purely for fashion. Pretty much all footwear I wear are built for something other than just looking fashionable.
(edited 8 years ago)
Don't know, but activity by both sexes and all ages should be encouraged.
We're not.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending