The Student Room Group

Would it be impossible to go from a C grade in maths to an A grade in a month?

I have been doing loads of past papers, but I ALWAYS get C grades, not because I don't know how to work something out, but because I always make a stupid mistakes, like not reading the question properly or doing the method but forgetting to adapt it for the task (for example, forgetting to times the values by half for working out the volume of a triangular prism).

Any tips? What's the best way to bump up my grade?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Jor64
I have been doing loads of past papers, but I ALWAYS get C grades, not because I don't know how to work something out, but because I always make a stupid mistakes, like not reading the question properly or doing the method but forgetting to adapt it for the task (for example, forgetting to times the values by half for working out the volume of a triangular prism). Any tips? What's the best way to bump up my grade?Thanks.

Go to your schools exams office and ask to take a test for extra time, if you pass the test, then you'll have more than enough time to go through your paper and check for any silly mistakes.

A mate of mine has the same problem that you do and he gets +50% extra time, I myself have a similar problem but not quite as severe, so I only get +25% extra.

The guy I mentioned above got a U on a test simply because he didn't have extra time so he made loads of silly mistakes
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by C-rated
Go to your schools exams office and ask to take a test for extra time, if you pass the test, then you'll have more than enough time to go through your paper and check for any silly mistakes.

A mate of mine has the same problem that you do and he gets +50% extra time, I myself have a similar problem but not quite as severe, so I only get +25% extra.

The guy I mentioned above got a U on a test simply because he didn't have extra time so he made loads of silly mistakes

I have 25% extra time, but even then I find I spend too much time on one's I can't solve rather than checking my work...
Reply 3
Original post by Jor64
I have 25% extra time, but even then I find I spend too much time on one's I can't solve rather than checking my work...

ah, in that case a good idea would be to go through the easy questions first to build up your marks, which should get you to the C level ,then do the difficult questions towards the end. If you do the easy questions correctly and check them through, then that should take 30-45 minutes, which leaves you plenty of time to do the other questions.
yeah i think you can

the best way is like when you finish there will obviously be some hard questions which you don't understand.
leave them

go through the entire paper again and work it out again even if you think your right.
once you do this you will spot like silly mistakes and things like that
if you still have time attempt the questions that you have left out

remember that even to get an A* you can roughly drop 40 marks on both papers and for an A significantly more.
so its better in my opinion to master all the easy questions which carry lots of easy marks (like the first few carry 4 marks)

hope this helps
i do this a lot and like it really helps, you'll notice there is a - instead of a +

anyway good luck
sahra
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest