The Student Room Group

Lying about grades?

I don't really know why I'm bothered about other people lying about their grades because it's none of my business, but sometimes it makes me feel like I'm doing badly. Can no one find out when you lie about grades, like just to people at school, not for important things. Have your teachers ever said it out after an exam, like your percentage or anything?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by AnnaK28
I don't really know why I'm bothered about other people lying about their grades because it's none of my business, but sometimes it makes me feel like I'm doing badly. Can no one find out when you lie about grades, like just to people at school, not for important things. Have your teachers ever said it out after an exam, like your percentage or anything?

A school where I live makes their students wear a badge with their grades on...
Reply 2
Original post by AnnaK28

A teacher should not publicly giving out grades
Original post by Rhythmical

That is crazy but I assume it brings a disincentive to be lazy and encourages hard work so that students become more competitive. I mean they must have 100% pass rates.
Original post by TheRealLifeBane
That is crazy but I assume it brings a disincentive to be lazy and encourages hard work so that students become more competitive. I mean they must have 100% pass rates.

Best school in the area. Has like over 80% paas rate. Mind you a lot of the pupils come from great hard working backgrounds and it is a fantastic area to live in.
Best school in the area. Has like over 80% paas rate. Mind you a lot of the pupils come from great hard working backgrounds and it is a fantastic area to live in.

If that is the case, this should be implemented more often.
Grades are usually always discussed privately, however for some bizarre reason, I remember walking past the engineering/technology department and seeing a massive poster on the wall showing a class's exam results, must've been pretty humiliating for the people who scored 15% for example...no idea why they chose to do that.
If that is the case, this should be implemented more often.

It would work - however it come with a lot of uproar as some parents believed it would encourage bullying.
It would work - however it come with a lot of uproar as some parents believed it would encourage bullying.

Yes, but if some people are embarrassed by their grades and see others with high ones, bullying can increase the chance of students achieving better results albeit that is not the best approach.

In addition, it would be the smart students with the ability to bully. Therefore, they are smart enough to know not to bully but rather drive others to contest with them. Hence, I do not think it is a likely issue.
Original post by MartinDUFC
Grades are usually always discussed privately, however for some bizarre reason, I remember walking past the engineering/technology department and seeing a massive poster on the wall showing a class's exam results, must've been pretty humiliating for the people who scored 15% for example...no idea why they chose to do that.

They displayed the low scores too XD

Savage

P.S. Does the "DUFC" in your username stand for your initials or is it 'Martin D' with UFC on the end?
They displayed the low scores too XD

Savage

P.S. Does the "DUFC" in your username stand for your initials or is it 'Martin D' with UFC on the end?

"DUFC" is for Dundee United Football Club, good ol' 13 year old username... unfortunately i'm not interested in UFC if that was what you were hoping for
Yes, but if some people are embarrassed by their grades and see others with high ones, bullying can increase the chance of students achieving better results albeit that is not the best approach.

In addition, it would be the smart students with the ability to bully. Therefore, they are smart enough to know not to bully but rather drive others to contest with them. Hence, I do not think it is a likely issue.

True. However I can't see every child adhering to it, if it was me then personally I wouldn't like to have my grades displayed.
"DUFC" is for Dundee United Football Club, good ol' 13 year old username... unfortunately i'm not interested in UFC if that was what you were hoping for

Dundee United Football Club? I thought you were an MMA fan so I was gonna ask for your opinion on something but oh well.
Reply 13

Man, that's one hell of a school, are you being serious?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 14

Wow, really? I guess pupils with high scores wouldn't mind and it might be something that builds their confidence and makes them feel good about themselves rather than give them a reason to look down or everyone else, even though that could also be the case with some. For ones with lower scores, that's just a pretty horrible thing to do to them, I wonder how many would take that as something to motivate them to do better.
Original post by AnnaK28
Man, that's one hell of a school, are you being serious?

Yes I am, but that school is doing amazingly well.
Reply 16
Yes I am, but that school is doing amazingly well.

So there's not many bad grades for them to be embarrassed about then? Wouldn't that increase competition in the wrong way though?
Original post by AnnaK28
So there's not many bad grades for them to be embarrassed about then? Wouldn't that increase competition in the wrong way though?

Possibly but what I imagine is that for some children, it could involve bullying.
Reply 18
Possibly but what I imagine is that for some children, it could involve bullying.

Yeah, it's almost certain that there'd be at least one person there that is affected by bullying. I guess it's got both a positive and a negative side.
They'll find out one way or another and you'll look like even more of an idiot. No one cares anyway.

Have you ever thought about your mates grades? No. So why would they think about yours?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending