The Student Room Group

English Literature 2017

How the hell are you supposed to learn 15 poems of by heart?
You'd be surprised at how much of the poem you absorb by just analysing it for a while, especially if it has a structured rhyme scheme and regular rhythm. I can still remember a lot of the poems from my GCSE anthology which I studied last year, and that was an open book exam. I think the key thing is probably just to remember relevant phrases from the poem though, rather than the entire thing, especially for the longer ones.
Reply 2
you dent need to to be honest , just have a rough outline of what they are about , i.e. key themes , and then just analyse when in the exam
Reply 3
Original post by salty670
you dent need to to be honest , just have a rough outline of what they are about , i.e. key themes , and then just analyse when in the exam

Luckily I don't have to memorise 15 poems but I just don't see how memorising 15 poems could do anyone any good in the long run and was very curious how somebody could do it I have a GCSE English Literature exam on Monday and sick to death with remembering Of Mice and Men quotes as my exam is closed book. I am dreading the comparison between two unseen poems, I would be crying by now if I had to memorise 15.
Original post by Tinka99

Original post by Tinka99

Make a grid with context of the poem, the content, the themes, images and structures for each poem. That's what I'm doing because I have to learn 19:s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by Tinka99

It's surprisingly easy - I never set out to learn them but you just discover you have and then you will never forget them. I can still recite large chunks of the poetry I had to learn for my O level English Literature in 1980.
Reply 6
Original post by *Alisha*
Make a grid with context of the poem, the content, the themes, images and structures for each poem. That's what I'm doing because I have to learn 19:s-smilie:

You need a lot of motivation to learn 19 poems doubt I could do that. I would 100% fail if I was sitting next years exams but this year an hopeful A for me.
Original post by Tinka99
You need a lot of motivation to learn 19 poems doubt I could do that. I would 100% fail if I was sitting next years exams but this year an hopeful A for me.

Exam Board - WJEC:frown:
Reply 8
Exam Board - WJEC:frown:

I also do WJEC but all I have to do is compare two unseen poems which I get given in the exam in regards to poetry. I have to memorise nothing in terms of poetry for WJEC exam this year feel so lucky. Got my English Lit exams 23rd and 27th May 2016.
Original post by Tinka99
I also do WJEC but all I have to do is compare two unseen poems which I get given in the exam in regards to poetry. I have to memorise nothing in terms of poetry for WJEC exam this year feel so lucky. Got my English Lit exams 23rd and 27th May 2016.

I'm doing the new GCSE and good luck with your exam. I get A's in my exams anyways. I'll be fine:smile:
Reply 10
I'm doing the new GCSE and good luck with your exam. I get A's in my exams anyways. I'll be fine:smile:

Thank you and best of luck.
Original post by Tinka99
Luckily I don't have to memorise 15 poems but I just don't see how memorising 15 poems could do anyone any good in the long run and was very curious how somebody could do it I have a GCSE English Literature exam on Monday and sick to death with remembering Of Mice and Men quotes as my exam is closed book. I am dreading the comparison between two unseen poems, I would be crying by now if I had to memorise 15.

thats why i love ocr , all extract based ,no quotes to remember
Reply 12
Original post by salty670
thats why i love ocr , all extract based ,no quotes to remember

It's not too hard to remember quotes it's just making a mindmap of each main character with about 5 most relevant quotes. I just keep on reading them and find that I can actually remember them after a while. If you forgot some quotes in the exam you can just paraphrase or use one-word quotations and they will still get you the marks provided you have a detailed analysis. It's actually not too bad to learn quotes for 3 books as it is for 15 poems for the current year 10's and beyond.
Original post by socialdisaster
You'd be surprised at how much of the poem you absorb by just analysing it for a while, especially if it has a structured rhyme scheme and regular rhythm. I can still remember a lot of the poems from my GCSE anthology which I studied last year, and that was an open book exam. I think the key thing is probably just to remember relevant phrases from the poem though, rather than the entire thing, especially for the longer ones.

Agreed. Did you study Conflict??
Original post by patronusleviosa
Agreed. Did you study Conflict??

No, we did Love :biggrin: it got a bit awkward in parts because some of the poems were downright filthy (I'm looking at you, Marvell), but I'm doing Love Through the Ages at AS so I've got the upper hand now, which is nice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending