The Student Room Group

Does anyone else absolutely hate the idea of wearing makeup?

It's perpetuating capitalism and only spurring on the insecurities forced onto females by society. Honestly, when chicks say 'its art' or 'it makes me feel better' or 'it's my choice' i just feel like hitting them on the head to get them to think clearly. Makeup may seem like a choice but it most definitely is not. Why then, if it is a choice, do the majority of us females wear makeup only when leaving the house? I know, its not always to impress the opposite sex, but why do we get a kick of self-esteem out of wearing manufactured crap on our faces? It's time to think about that rather than follow blindly.
Came on here for a simple answer, no ****ed up debate please.
No because it quite literally is my only chance of looking remotely attractive.

I don't wear any make up atm, I look absolutely awful everyday! :redface:
Original post by TheonlyMrsHolmes

I understand that, i just think people should think more about WHY they think they look more attractive with makeup on - it isn't all our fault, we just need to keep in mind that we're not doing it because we want to but cause it's forced on us
Original post by CrazyJailbird
I understand that, i just think people should think more about WHY they think they look more attractive with makeup on - it isn't all our fault, we just need to keep in mind that we're not doing it because we want to but cause it's forced on us

Oh I definitely would rather not! I wish it didn't even exist, but I know I would look much better with it on
i put makeup, but i don't put it everyday and too much.
some girls say makeup make them 'sexy' or make them more beautiful :smile:
I do play around with my make up when I'm at home...

I agree that there are girls who are perhaps insecure and wear makeup because they believe it makes them more beautiful. For some, it may feel as though there isn't an element of choice but for many of us we do it because we like it. I, admittedly, do not wear make up on a daily basis but if someone enjoys it then let them be.

It's ludicrous to say that you have absolutely no choice whatsoever and that make-up isn't art to some people. It is. You may not like it... Fair enough. No one is forcing you to wear make up. If you are happy the way you are then that's great. But don't put others down just because you don't like what they are doing.

Don't say that. I'm sure you're beautiful. :h:

:slap: you're beautiful
Reply 8
agreed. i think a lot of people put it on to compete with others. its a pointless race for fake beauty imo. if you genuinely think you look ugly without it then that is merely an insecurity placed upon you by society. break free from those chains of injustice! MURICA!
Original post by Legendary Quest

Don't say that. I'm sure you're beautiful. :h:

Original post by SinsNotTragedies
:slap: you're beautiful

Thank you you beautiful people. :h:

I wasn't fishing I promise :redface: it sounds like I was...:frown:

But I suppose the thing with make up is that the world has decided it can make you look more beautiful, so without it, you feel a little inferior unless you have the qualities make up can give you (perfect skin, lips, blush etc).

Make up is fine but it's a lot of effort, and I think it's the "need" to wear it which can be a problem.
Makeup improves peoples confidence. It may sound dumb to others but I feel really confident when wearing makeup and not very confident without it., I wear it too make myself feel confident, thats all. Also its fun to experiment, learn new tricks and it can be an art especially with the many designs you can do. You could say why do people spend money on designer clothes when they could just wear basic cheap clothes, its because it makes them feel good and confident.
Reply 11
Seriously though, I think that a lot of women are oppressed by this idealistic barbie doll image. People dont talk about men being beautiful or ugly as often as they do about women; thats because theres no pressure for them to be like Hollywood role models.
Thank you you beautiful people. :h:

I wasn't fishing I promise :redface: it sounds like I was...:frown:

But I suppose the thing with make up is that the world has decided it can make you look more beautiful, so without it, you feel a little inferior unless you have the qualities make up can give you (perfect skin, lips, blush etc).

Make up is fine but it's a lot of effort, and I think it's the "need" to wear it which can be a problem.

I agree. Make up is a problem if it reaches a point where you can't leave the house without it. If you feel like you need it then are you wearing it for yourself? I would argue that you aren't...

The way I see it is, make-up only enhances what you already have. In that sense, it can't 'make' a person beautiful because they were already beautiful anyway. :wink:
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
Makeup improves peoples confidence. It may sound dumb to others but I feel really confident when wearing makeup and not very confident without it., I wear it too make myself feel confident, thats all. Also its fun to experiment, learn new tricks and it can be an art especially with the many designs you can do. You could say why do people spend money on designer clothes when they could just wear basic cheap clothes, its because it makes them feel good and confident.

I'm not against make up at all, but do you think it's problematic that your confidence relies on changing the appearance of your face?
I'm very good at make-up , I do professional make-up but I wear make-up rarely and even then I wear just eye liner, I love to do make-up and I love when I can do it on someone's face.
You've said that many girls won't leave the house without make-up but I don't leave the house if I have more than eyeliner . Everytime I did like a very complex make-up on my face I was home alone and it was on my face for about half an hour lol
Make-up is awesome and I personally love to see girls that can master this. If u're bad at make-up, your face will look like it has dirt on it so it's a thing to know how to do your make-up and everyone can choose if it's alright to wear it or not. I rarely wear but I'm good at doing it and I love girls who are good at this
I only wear a little bit of makeup everyday, but as weird as this may sound, the reason why I don't wear stuff like foundation, concealer and eyeshadow daily is because I worry that I would feel "ugly" without it as I get used to putting it on. So I only wear that much on nights out.
I actually used to wear foundation, lipstick, eyeliner, blusher, mascara and eyeshadow to school in like year 10, but I stopped because everyone commented on how much makeup I had on- so I just stopped wearing as much. I am actually quite happy I stopped- I would be annoyed if it became a daily routine.

A lot of girls look more attractive with makeup lol- that's the whole purpose of it. Why do you think makeup is so expensive?
(edited 7 years ago)
It's perpetuating capitalism and only spurring on the insecurities forced onto females by society. Honestly, when chicks say 'its art' or 'it makes me feel better' or 'it's my choice' i just feel like hitting them on the head to get them to think clearly. Makeup may seem like a choice but it most definitely is not. Why then, if it is a choice, do the majority of us females wear makeup only when leaving the house? I know, its not always to impress the opposite sex, but why do we get a kick of self-esteem out of wearing manufactured crap on our faces? It's time to think about that rather than follow blindly.

Perpetuating capitalism is a great goal, so win win for me.
(Though I think you may also be confusing corporatism there)

I don't care what mumbo jumbo it spurs onto "females", you don't speak for females.

Violence, well that just shows how sane you are.

Most females don't care what anonymous internet folk have to say, I certainly don't care what you have to say or think.

There's your answer.
You have to admit though, makeup can look killer :colondollar: My opinion is it's an expression of a person's character and personality, makeup isn't just contour and highlight, it can be heavy eye makeup and bomb black lipstick, by claiming that makeup is bad, you take away a part of a persons lifestyle, their style and confidence. I love eyemakeup and dark lipstick but not any face makeup like foundation, because I find it weird that my skin becomes all one colour, our faces are all different colours and that's normal. Makeup is art as long as the person doesn't feel forced to wear it in order to 'fit in'

I wear makeup about twice or thrice a month, because the rest of the time I just do not care. I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't hit me over the head when I say this but, really - when I do, it's because it's my choice.

Hear me out: occasionally I wake up, look in the mirror, and become appalled at how tired I look. I may or may not be tired myself, but the revelation that I look tired creates a sort of placebo effect on me, like "hmmm...should I go back to sleep?" And then I either get no work done for the rest of the day or am incredibly late for school. I'm aware of how vain this is going to sound, but after I put some mascara and under eye concealer on, I look more awake, and therefore I feel more awake.

As for the question of "why do we get a kick of self-esteem out of wearing manufactured crap on our faces?", I'm afraid I don't have a dignified answer to this. For me, I suppose it's just nice to look nice. I'm not going to pass on the opportunity to sometimes look prettier for a price; I understand your point but, with no offence intended, it's sort of like asking why do restaurants exist? or why do we go on holiday to see buildings? There are buildings where we live anyway.
Original post by Tabstercat
I'm not against make up at all, but do you think it's problematic that your confidence relies on changing the appearance of your face?

I do think it is unfair that some girls feel forced to wear makeup by society but only society can change that by not shaming girls for the insecurities they have. Personally I have never been bothered or felt pressured to wear makeup, I just thought it looked nice on me, but it is kinda sad that my confidence does rely on makeup.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending