The Student Room Group

Job application and interview help needed - Civil Service

Hi,

So I am a civil servant and I am applying for other jobs, I've been doing he same one for 2 years and so bored. I am totally useless with applications and interviews. I will very much appreciate if anyone can help I literally cant think of basic things o say about myself. I want to apply for HEO level.
What grade are you now?
Reply 2
I'm an executive officer
Original post by Justfedup
Hi,

So I am a civil servant and I am applying for other jobs, I've been doing he same one for 2 years and so bored. I am totally useless with applications and interviews. I will very much appreciate if anyone can help I literally cant think of basic things o say about myself. I want to apply for HEO level.

Civil service job applications look pretty straight forward because they're so clearly competency based, like usually (in my line of work - the NHS) you get a job description and a person spec and you have to outline how you meet that in your statement. Civil service job applications have boxes asking you stuff like 'tell us how you meet the competency of being able to see the bigger picture' and as a civil servant I'm sure you have tonnes of examples for those kinds of things.

The civil service interviews are also competency based. I can't give any examples as I haven't done a civil service interview but we use competency interviews in the NHS. The civil service usually has a grid somewhere on the job advert showing what level the job is and you can see what kind of competencies they would ask, I imagine it would be similar to the boxes on the application form so just think of a few more examples and I would suggest trying to talk about different ones from the ones you use in your application
Reply 4
As a civil servant I can't think of any examples for the competencies I just do a load of administration :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by infairverona
Civil service job applications look pretty straight forward because they're so clearly competency based, like usually (in my line of work - the NHS) you get a job description and a person spec and you have to outline how you meet that in your statement. Civil service job applications have boxes asking you stuff like 'tell us how you meet the competency of being able to see the bigger picture' and as a civil servant I'm sure you have tonnes of examples for those kinds of things.

The civil service interviews are also competency based. I can't give any examples as I haven't done a civil service interview but we use competency interviews in the NHS. The civil service usually has a grid somewhere on the job advert showing what level the job is and you can see what kind of competencies they would ask, I imagine it would be similar to the boxes on the application form so just think of a few more examples and I would suggest trying to talk about different ones from the ones you use in your application

Thanks for uo5ur reply. I find Competences are soo much harder to write than a personal statement and I'm really stuck because I'm just an admin.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending