The Student Room Group

When can you apply for the postgraduate loan?

I'm starting an MA in September and I'll be applying for the loan but does anyone know when this 'opens'?
Reply 1
Original post by ButYouGotta
I'm starting an MA in September and I'll be applying for the loan but does anyone know when this 'opens'?

No date announced yet other than "late June". Just keep checking back with the official web pages at https://www.gov.uk/postgraduate-loan and an Apply button will eventually be posted somewhere.

When it appears, please come back here and let us know!
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
hi guys :smile:

well what you are talking about is just for UK students (just they can apply online) while EU students (as me) have to send by post the application form, so when should I send it ? always starting from late june ?
Reply 3
Original post by sara_z
hi guys :smile:

well what you are talking about is just for UK students (just they can apply online) while EU students (as me) have to send by post the application form, so when should I send it ? always starting from late june ?

I don't think dates have been announced for any applicants yet. Should be in the next two or three weeks if "late June" still stands.
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
I don't think dates have been announced for any applicants yet. Should be in the next two or three weeks if "late June" still stands.

yes I guess so, thank you very @Klix8, finally I would like to ask you for another thin regarding the documents to be sent (as an EU student).

in addition to the loan application form, we're asked to provide them with also an evidence of identity, so basically I just have to send a photocopy of my passport in the package with the forms right? without having to certify it ? it might sound as a dumb question but I'd like to be sure in advance because otherwise (as all the documents has to be sent by post) there might be a delay which honestly I'd like to avoid.
Reply 5
Original post by sara_z
yes I guess so, thank you very @Klix8, finally I would like to ask you for another thin regarding the documents to be sent (as an EU student).

in addition to the loan application form, we're asked to provide them with also an evidence of identity, so basically I just have to send a photocopy of my passport in the package with the forms right? without having to certify it ? it might sound as a dumb question but I'd like to be sure in advance because otherwise (as all the documents has to be sent by post) there might be a delay which honestly I'd like to avoid.

Afraid I don't know. The instructions should tell you. The undergrad student loans need originals and will only accept certified copies if originals aren't available. Check out undergrad rules for EU students if you can't find postgrad ones - they're likely to be the same. I can't see them accepting an uncertified photocopy as that would be too easy to forge.
Reply 6
Original post by Klix88
Afraid I don't know. The instructions should tell you. The undergrad student loans need originals and will only accept certified copies if originals aren't available. Check out undergrad rules for EU students if you can't find postgrad ones - they're likely to be the same. I can't see them accepting an uncertified photocopy as that would be too easy to forge.

allright I get it ! I'll check the undergraduate rules then :smile: thanks God that there's this loan even if I'm really upset about the fact that as EU students we're not elegible for a manteinance loan, because just the total amount for accommodation is so expensive that ends up being more that tuituion fees which is crazy !!!!
thank again for your help :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by sara_z
allright I get it ! I'll check the undergraduate rules then :smile: thanks God that there's this loan even if I'm really upset about the fact that as EU students we're not elegible for a manteinance loan, because just the total amount for accommodation is so expensive that ends up being more that tuituion fees which is crazy !!!!
thank again for your help :smile:

The postgrad loan is just a lump sum of £10,000 - there's no designation that it's a tuition fee loan or a maintenance loan. Eligible EU students will get the same postgrad loan sum as UK students, as far as I'm aware. The differentiation between Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans only exists at undergrad level.
Reply 8
Original post by Klix88
The postgrad loan is just a lump sum of £10,000 - there's no designation that it's a tuition fee loan or a maintenance loan. Eligible EU students will get the same postgrad loan sum as UK students, as far as I'm aware. The differentiation between Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans only exists at undergrad level.

are you sure ? because on the application form it's not mentionned anywhere about the fact that the total sum can be diveded as we prefer. Moreover, always on the application form, there's just an area where they ask us for the total "tutition fee" amount we want to borrow without talking about anything else (have a look at the image I attached). loan.png
Reply 9
Original post by sara_z
are you sure ? because on the application form it's not mentionned anywhere about the fact that the total sum can be diveded as we prefer. Moreover, always on the application form, there's just an area where they ask us for the total "tutition fee" amount we want to borrow without talking about anything else (have a look at the image I attached). loan.png

Are you certain that's the Postgraduate Loan form, and not the undergraduate Student Finance application? As Postgraduate Loan applications haven't opened yet, I wouldn't expect application forms to be available yet. Could you post the link to the form you're using?
Reply 10
Original post by Klix88
Are you certain that's the Postgraduate Loan form, and not the undergraduate Student Finance application? As Postgraduate Loan applications haven't opened yet, I wouldn't expect application forms to be available yet. Could you post the link to the form you're using?

yes absolutely I'm pretty sure about it, here is the link:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/eu-full-time/year-1617/new-student
as you see it says EU students 2016/2017. do you think it's the wrong one ?
Original post by sara_z
yes absolutely I'm pretty sure about it, here is the link:
https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-forms/y/eu-full-time/year-1617/new-student
as you see it says EU students 2016/2017. do you think it's the wrong one ?

Looks like undergraduate to me.
Reply 12
Original post by Tiger Rag
Looks like undergraduate to me.

you might be right then :confused: ! at this point I guess that the official form for 2016/2017 will be posted at the end of june as stated. great, thanks for having enlightened me :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending