The Student Room Group

The finance sector is sexist!!!! Attention

Hi
i'm a male and feel quite offended. I have been browsing sites of many of the major finance companies, such as JP Morgan or PwC , and have seen a recurring trend. I am truly disgusted. I have seen many 'women in business' schemes which allow women to apply for less competitive internships, as males are unable to attend. I will not stop campaigning for equality in the workspace until i see some 'male in business schemes'

Honestly, i feel its quite despicable, that in the 21st century, i have been discriminated against. As a male i should be able to attend a 'male in business' internship.

rant over!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
They are trying to engage more female bankers/finance expertise to join their company as female is usually discriminated against, male dominates in the workplace and it is 21st century, so time to open opportunities for female~ and how confident are you to secure a place in JP Morgan if they had a male internship schemes (given you are not granted a chance in the normal scheme). I think you are over sensitive because opening more opportunities to encourage females to participate does not make you lose out? How can you even use the word 'disgust'? Well, I think the company is campaigning for these schemes because people like you exist, trying to eliminate opportunities that females can take part in a company, and feeling insecure and not confident when females can also be productive and efficient as other sexes.

ATTENTIONa'a1.pnga'a2.png
POST STARTER FALSELY CLAIMED WOMAN IN BUSINESS IS LESS COMPETITIVE/ LOWERED STANDARD. GO LOOK IT UP ON THE WEBSITE! SAME REQUIREMENT FOR CONSULTING BE IT WOMAN IN BUSINESS SCHEME OR SUMMER INTERNSHIP (BOTH SEXES)
equirement for female candidates in the woman in business internship (CONSULTING) is the same as ones in normal summer internship (both males and females).
consulting: 340 tariff in UCAS, 2: 1 or equivalence in degree
http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/student/workexperience/si-consulting.html
http://www.pwc.co.uk/careers/student/workexperience/follow-a-female-leader.html
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Quiton
They are trying to engage more female bankers/finance expertise to join their company as female is usually discriminated against, male dominates in the workplace and it is 21st century, so time to open opportunities for female~ and how confident are you to secure a place in JP Morgan if they had a male internship schemes (given you are not granted a chance in the normal scheme). I think you are over sensitive because opening more opportunities to encourage females to participate does not make you lose out? How can you even use the word 'disgust'? Well, I think the company is campaigning for these schemes because people like you exist, trying to eliminate opportunities that females can take part in a company, and feeling insecure and not confident when females can also be productive and efficient as other sexes.

Just lol, girls really do want it all their own way. Already they are paid more than guys and are better educated. But they're still oh so discriminayyyted against, poor delicate flowers, they can't be expected to go through the same selection process as everyone else, they're too special for that.
Original post by scrotgrot
Just lol, girls really do want it all their own way. Already they are paid more than guys and are better educated. But they're still oh so discriminayyyted against, poor delicate flowers, they can't be expected to go through the same selection process as everyone else, they're too special for that.

Get over yourself

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
I suppose the girl you mentioned is your boss or Hilary Clinton. Do not overgeneralise and turn your jealousy into anger because it shows how narrow-minded you are.

Reply 5
Both females and males are involved in the normal selection process. It is not that Pwc/JP only has schemes for females. There are different duties and roles that they have to commit during the internship, read what the schemes are about before screaming here that every female you met in your life get better pay/better educated than you do. And if this only happens to you, I am sure there is no reason you should turn your guns to female as a population, do some self-reflection, work hard and study hard.

Reply 6
Original post by Quiton

It's illegal to discriminate against women in the workplace.
If there are less women finance then its because either A. They don't want to be in finance, in which case no amount of internship schemes will make much of a difference (or they'll end up in jobs they don't really like) or B. they're not as good at it, in which case they shouldn't get the job.
If you're a women who wants to work in finance and you're good at it then chances are you'll have no problem getting a job, even without internship schemes.
Reply 7
In your context, you should do a research on why companies would want to launch a woman internship because I cannot give you an answer on behalf of them. Internship does not equal getting the job, I have to highlight this point.

Original post by KRin
If there are less women finance then its because either A. They don't want to be in finance, in which case no amount of internship schemes will make much of a difference (or they'll end up in jobs they don't really like) or B. they're not as good at it, in which case they shouldn't get the job.
If you're a women who wants to work in finance and you're good at it then chances are you'll have no problem getting a job, even without internship schemes.
Original post by KRin

I mean there is also C, they are discriminated against with male candidates being favoured, which is kinda the whole point.

I suspect A is realistically the correct answer, however.
I never understood the whole "encouraging women to do X" stuff. If they need encouragement to want to do it, they aren't cut out for it. If they want to do it but need encouragement anyway, they're weak and thus not cutout for it.

Before I learned about feminist policies I never realised how weak and pathetic women supposedly are.
Original post by starwarsjedi123
Hi
i'm a male and feel quite offended. I have been browsing sites of many of the major finance companies, such as JP Morgan or PwC , and have seen a recurring trend. I am truly disgusted. I have seen many 'women in business' schemes which allow women to apply for less competitive internships, as males are unable to attend. I will not stop campaigning for equality in the workspace until i see some 'male in business schemes'

Honestly, i feel its quite despicable, that in the 21st century, i have been discriminated against. As a male i should be able to attend a 'male in business' internship.

rant over!

Not really valid though. They are just simply following the Equality Act and ensuring they have an equal oppotunities policy. If you contact them then am sure they will provide you with details about their industry being male dominated already.

Its really refreshing you are disgusted. Fight the good fight and good luck with your campaign.
loool.jpg
Reply 12
Original post by Quiton
In your context, you should do a research on why companies would want to launch a woman internship because I cannot give you an answer on behalf of them. Internship does not equal getting the job, I have to highlight this point.

(I don't really understand the point you're trying to make here, I assume English isn't your first language?)
I realise that an internship doesn't guarantee a job but you cant deny that an all female internship schemes main goal is to get more women jobs in the internships respective field.
What I'm saying is that if a less qualified woman gets a internship place solely because of her gender then it unfair to the guys who may have been better qualified (and therefore more deserving). If your more qualified than your male competition then you don't need a gender specific internship scheme.
Eh.

You can't really complain when 70%+ of intakes are dudes, marketing the career to females is not in any way an issue.

I find that people who complain about this sort of thing tend to be quite insecure in their candidacy; whether you like it or not, the best people deemed good enough by the hiring panel will make it through - regardless of whichever gender they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by NickLCFC
loool.jpg

This made me chuckle.
Reply 15
If you understood that you are paid less/ treated unfairly in a workplace, it tends to discourage you from applying the same type of jobs. The whole point of the campaign is to send out a message that the company welcomes female workers and is willing to treat them equally like males. Social stigma has yet to be eliminated and females have less opportunities to be educated (third-world countries, asian patria society) and they are easy targets for sexual harassment and threats. I do think certain proportion of females feel they are discriminated against (and please respect how each person feel, they feel they will NOT receive equal treatment in a work place does not equal they are weak/ timid.), and this discourage them for pursuing careers they like or good at.

Using your weird concept, the post-starter said he is not given an equal chance despite there's loads of normal internships out there , can you say he is weak too and needs encouragement from the male-internship scheme?? He does not pursue the normal internship schemes but rant and scream here crying for a male version for female-schemes?'If they want to do it but need encouragement anyway, they're weak and thus not cutout for it.' ,replace 'they' with 'he', and it still makes sense!

Original post by banterboy
I never understood the whole "encouraging women to do X" stuff. If they need encouragement to want to do it, they aren't cut out for it. If they want to do it but need encouragement anyway, they're weak and thus not cutout for it.

Before I learned about feminist policies I never realised how weak and pathetic women supposedly are.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 16
Usually people who did not secure a place in the interviews and selection process will do that. If I really want a job, I would focus on developing new skills and prove it, instead of blaming %^#$@!>=...
Original post by Princepieman
Eh.

You can't really complain when 70%+ of intakes are dudes, marketing the career to females is not in any way an issue.

I find that people who complain about this sort of thing tend to be quite insecure in their candidacy; whether you like it or not, the best people deemed good enough by the hiring panel will make it through - regardless of whichever gender they are.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 17
(I assume that you have yet to come across with internships in your life?).You were making a hypothesis with A & B. If you want to verify which situation is deemed valid in this situation, please send JP Morgan,PwC.. a letter and get an answer from them. We cannot guess and make assumptions of their intentions to launch the female internship schemes. And then internship does not equal to employment? You need to have good performance during the internship period to secure a full-time job in the company. No company will promise you that they are certainly going to hire you even you are accepted into the internship schemes, be it female or male.

Original post by KRin
(I don't really understand the point you're trying to make here, I assume English isn't your first language?)
I realise that an internship doesn't guarantee a job but you cant deny that an all female internship schemes main goal is to get more women jobs in the internships respective field.
What I'm saying is that if a less qualified woman gets a internship place solely because of her gender then it unfair to the guys who may have been better qualified (and therefore more deserving). If your more qualified than your male competition then you don't need a gender specific internship scheme.
Original post by Quiton
If you understood that you are paid less/ treated unfairly in a workplace, it tends to discourage you from applying the same type of jobs. The whole point of the campaign is to send out a message that the company welcomes female workers and is willing to treat them equally like males. Social stigma has yet to be eliminated and females have less opportunities to be educated (third-world countries, asian patria society) and they are easy targets for sexual harassment and threats. I do think certain proportion of females feel they are discriminate against (and please respect how each person feel, they feel they will receive equal treatment in a work place does not equal they are weak/ timid.), and this discourage them for pursuing careers they like or good at.

Using your weird concept, the post-starter said he is not given an equal chance despite there's loads of normal internships out there , can you say he is weak too and needs encourage from the male-internship scheme?? He does not pursue the normal internship schemes but rant and scream here crying for a male version for female-schemes?'If they want to do it but need encouragement anyway, they're weak and thus not cutout for it.' ,replace 'they' with 'he', and it still makes sense!

the argument can be refuted based on the word "feel". realz>feels

for example, you may "feeeeeeeeeeeeel" that women are paid less. This is in fact simply not true, research it. Women EARN less. Big difference. They work fewer hours and choose to go into lower paid positions because women consistently say they value things like "work-family balance" whereas men consistently base their career decisions on money. If you find one example of wage discrimination, please do report it to the police, since this has been a crime since the 60s. I would be highly surprised if even one company takes such a risk.

In fact, economically it is an impossible concept to even fathom. One company would hire mostly female workers at lower rates. They would get a market advantage. To stay competitive, everyone would have to hire female workers. But you say females are under presented. These two claims are inconsistent.

Yeah, if op doesn't apply to jobs he wants because women have it easier (they do. There is a two to one advantage for female employees STEM fields) he is being weak. Not as weak as someone needing a female only scheme when discrimination is just in their heads (women dont in fact need these schemes, they take advantage of them because they're there (why wouldn't you) but they dont need them to get into any sector) but still weak.
Reply 19
(I assume that you have yet to come across with internships in your life?).You understand my point as you also said 'I realise that an internship doesn't guarantee a job'

You were making a hypothesis with A & B. If you want to verify which situation is deemed valid in this situation, please send JP Morgan,PwC.. a letter and get an answer from them. We cannot guess and make assumptions of their intentions to launch the female internship schemes. And then internship does not equal to employment? You need to have good performance during the internship period to secure a full-time job in the company. No company will promise you that they are certainly going to hire you even you are accepted into the internship schemes, be it female or male.

Original post by KRin

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending