The Student Room Group

How important are the Year 10 Mocks compared to the Year 11 Trial Exams?

Hello, I am currently in Year 10 and have spent the entirety of this year revising for the minor tests in which I have achieved good grades. However, the mocks are soon approaching and I have lost the energy to be capable of revising for so many tests which I deem fairly pointless especially when the manner in which my school carries out exams is horrifying. I know they are good practise but are they really worth it?
Reply 1
Original post by Dawud84
Hello, I am currently in Year 10 and have spent the entirety of this year revising for the minor tests in which I have achieved good grades. However, the mocks are soon approaching and I have lost the energy to be capable of revising for so many tests which I deem fairly pointless especially when the manner in which my school carries out exams is horrifying. I know they are good practise but are they really worth it?

They're not important at all really. I would still try though as it will give you a feel for what the real exams are like :smile:
No exams apart from the real ones are important.
Original post by Dawud84

Yes, bang out all exams so that when you get to GCSEs you have to do less work. E.g. I was planning on doing so much revision for GCSEs but when the time came, I felt like i cou;dn't learn it all qucik enough, however, as I consistently revised through the year I've found all my exams quite good so far and I haven't had to learn as much stuff since I've repetitively learnt it all before. Also, try and revise so you have notes premade and ready for gcse, so all you have to do is memorise. Really, IF I COULD SAY ANYTHING to my younger self, I'd say revise more for mocks and make gthem the real thing. Good luck! It'll be worth it.
Reply 4
Original post by TheDragonGuy
No exams apart from the real ones are important.

Not entirely true, teachers often use mock grades to predict actual grades and sometimes if for some reason you can't sit an exam they will look at your mock grades.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Take it this way, I don't even know what I got in my year 10 mocks.
Original post by Dawud84

they're good practice. especially the english language if you do AQA. don't get too hung up, revise a bit but they aren't important really at all. even the year 11 mocks aren't important except for applying for sixth form/college but the sixth forms i applied to didn't even ask for my mock grades.
Reply 7
I would say don't bother slaving away learning everything word for word but make sure you have written all your revision notes/cards/mind maps or whatever! I can't tell you how much that has helped revising for the actual thing !! 😊

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
I really did no revision in year started real revision February time in year 11. All I did in year 10 was enjoy life, hang out and watch TV that I miss now in year 11. Enjoy year 10 before you face year 11 as it becomes stressful and a horror as you get nearer to the exams. The only exams that are important are the real GCSE's everything else is not as important but I suggest you do some revision though as it will help you out but don't overload yourself with it.
Understandably you would want to do well and they do seem important at this point. But when you see the big picture you realise that they aren't all that important, the ones in year 11 are much more important.

Good luck!
Original post by Dawud84

The only exams you need to revise for are the real GCSE'S. I didn't revise at all for yr 10 mocks and got a few A*s, mostly A and a couple of Bs. Just enjoy life- yr 11 will go by very very quickly and there is a lot of work!
Reply 11
Original post by Dawud84

I didn't really revise for my year 10 mocks but I did a lot for my year 11 ones. I'd say do as much as you can cope with because every little helps :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest