The Student Room Group

I did not finish my GCSE exams!

I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice. I have recently been struggling with timing in my examinations and have failed to finish some of my exams such as History and Classical Civilisation. This is quite concerning for me as I wish to study these subjects at A-level.

I have extra time due to my dyslexia and slight dyspraxia but I am really worried that this issue will be a regular occurence :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by ZoeN2
I was wondering if anyone could offer me any advice. I have recently been struggling with timing in my examinations and have failed to finish some of my exams such as History and Classical Civilisation. This is quite concerning for me as I wish to study these subjects at A-level.

I have extra time due to my dyslexia and slight dyspraxia but I am really worried that this issue will be a regular occurence :frown:

i don't know much about extra time sorry, but can you ask for more? or if you find it easier typing maybe asking to type instead of write?
Reply 2
I do type as well. Are there any courses which I can do to improve my writing speed?
Original post by ZoeN2

I've been having that in my english exams. Idk what to do either....

Have a talk to the teacher and look at all the options and see if anything can be done, contact ISPEA, A special needs disability charity that helps people with advice regarding education and support and help with tribunals and academics for special needs students up to the age of 18 ( think ). Get a private tutor to come to the home if you haven't already. Do you need History and Classical Civillsation to study at A-Level? If not, don't sweat out about it and focus on 5A*-C Maths and English Language C/B inc. Otherwise, maybe you need to look at other options/ BTEC. Sorry.

( dyspraxic and auditory and sensory processing disorder here )
Original post by ZoeN2

Original post by dch187
i don't know much about extra time sorry, but can you ask for more? or if you find it easier typing maybe asking to type instead of write?

Original post by ZoeN2
I do type as well. Are there any courses which I can do to improve my writing speed?

Yes typewriting and scribe can improve your grades instantly.
Reply 5
Original post by elmosandy
I've been having that in my english exams. Idk what to do either....

Have a talk to the teacher and look at all the options and see if anything can be done, contact ISPEA, A special needs disability charity that helps people with advice regarding education and support and help with tribunals and academics for special needs students up to the age of 18 ( think ). Get a private tutor to come to the home if you haven't already. Do you need History and Classical Civillsation to study at A-Level? If not, don't sweat out about it and focus on 5A*-C Maths and English Language C/B inc. Otherwise, maybe you need to look at other options/ BTEC. Sorry.

( dyspraxic and auditory and sensory processing disorder here )

The only issue with my examinations is my writing speed as I am predicted to do well at GCSE and continue my studies into straight humanities at advanced level. Thank you for replying to my post though. I hope you find an answer to your issue as well :smile:
Original post by ZoeN2
The only issue with my examinations is my writing speed as I am predicted to do well at GCSE and continue my studies into straight humanities at advanced level. Thank you for replying to my post though. I hope you find an answer to your issue as well :smile:

Yeah same, exactly the same with me, my english is actually good it's just my thinking time which causes me to lose marks, thus I end up failing even though i'm only off a pass by 2 marks, even though I hardly finish and complete the exam task for both papers!! Defiently look at alternatives such as typewriting ( which is doing the exam on the computer ) or a scribe ( which is speaking rather than writing, although this might be hard.)
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest