The Student Room Group

Brexit and banking (markets) jobs

"As someone wanting to work in the markets division of a bank, am I ****ed? Since Brexit means that apparently banks are moving salespeople and traders and middle/back office guys as well.
I heard that MS and the European banks are already making plans to move their markets business elsewhere away from London.

What else can I go into?"

(Asking for a friend/person-who-asked-me-for-advice here. Wrote exactly what he messaged me)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Tell him/her to learn German or French and get an Irish passport if possible.
Original post by Maker
Tell him/her to learn German or French and get an Irish passport if possible.

Yeah he could actually. Thanks
But he's looking at alternate careers too
Reply 4
Also heard loads of traders and back office bois are getting moved. But that's if we completely cut ties with the single market.
sales/trading is continiously moving more electronic anyway, so headcount will probably decrease regardless of whether banks move their operations

but doubt any bank would move, that would be a major brain drain
Reply 6
Original post by gr8wizard10
sales/trading is continiously moving more electronic anyway, so headcount will probably decrease regardless of whether banks move their operations

but doubt any bank would move, that would be a major brain drain

Why would there be a brain drain, the employees would move with the bank?
Original post by hoping4thebest
"As someone wanting to work in the markets division of a bank, am I ****ed? Since Brexit means that apparently banks are moving salespeople and traders and middle/back office guys as well.
I heard that MS and the European banks are already making plans to move their markets business elsewhere away from London.

What else can I go into?"

(Asking for a friend/person-who-asked-me-for-advice here. Wrote exactly what he messaged me)

No - so far banks have moved near zero jobs. It is speculation at the moment. And some such as Barclays have committed to remaining in the UK (pretty obvious given its a British bank).

If we leave the single market, there may be an impact for operational staff, payments staff and fx sales and traders most noticeably.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Maker

What if the employees don't want to move? Some of the most key will have families in the UK.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Maker

lol it's a lot more complex than just picking up and all happily dancing into the eu sunshine

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending