The Student Room Group

I've messed up what should I do?

So all through year 10 I didn't take English or chemistry seriously so I was just messing around. Now I regret it because I would be F***d for my gcse.

I'm thinking of doing a bit of english and chemistry revision over the summer( around 3 times a week for 2 hours each). Is it really necessary to do it, or should I leave it untill year 11? especailly because they've made gcse english harder(grades 9-1)
Reply 1
Original post by theBranicAc
So all through year 10 I didn't take English or chemistry seriously so I was just messing around. Now I regret it because I would be F***d for my gcse.

I'm thinking of doing a bit of english and chemistry revision over the summer( around 3 times a week for 2 hours each). Is it really necessary to do it, or should I leave it untill year 11? especailly because they've made gcse english harder(grades 9-1)

I would just go over what you didn't understand in Year 10 so you're not having to teach it to yourself whilst trying to keep up with all the other work.
Reply 2
Original post by luciie
I would just go over what you didn't understand in Year 10 so you're not having to teach it to yourself whilst trying to keep up with all the other work.

so i should just go over the whole syballus, because i virtually dont understand any of it , i dont even know what dr jekyll and mr hide is about
Reply 3
so i should just go over the whole syballus, because i virtually dont understand any of it , i dont even know what dr jekyll and mr hide is about

If you don't understand any of it then it'll probably be a good idea. Have you read the book in school?
Reply 4
Original post by luciie
If you don't understand any of it then it'll probably be a good idea. Have you read the book in school?

even if i did it wouldt make a difference because i cant remeber it
Reply 5
even if i did it wouldt make a difference because i cant remeber it

I would definitely read it again. You're probably going to have to read the book a few times before the exam anyway.

Listen, you still have plenty of time over the summer and in yr 11- but you MUST use your time efficiently! Do light revision over the summer but not too much or you will burn out in yr 11. In yr 11 make sure you do loads of past papers- especially in chemistry as they repeat questions. For english, watch videos on youtube. mr bruff for AQA and mr salles for OCR. They are very helpful!

Do not panic too much- the exams are not as hard as they are made out to be! Rememebr that your grades are not set in stone until your real exams, so use this to your advantage and use the mock exams to evaluate your strengths and weaknesses. You still have time to improve and I am sure you will do really well!
Best of luck!x:smile:

Hey you can look on the internet on websites like cliffnotes and sparknotes which gives summary of the books- with key themes, characters, symbols and motifs. It saves a lot of time and is more efficent than reading the book! Also if you are struggling with english maybe ask to redo your controlled assessments?

Quick Reply

Latest