The Student Room Group

How much do your parents spend on your birthday?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by fefssdf
Yh I'd to think I'm very good with money ; I might have a look actually at my account to see just how much I spend cause I still think I could improve a bit; I might do a 30 day no spend challenge soon as well just to prove I don't need to spend anything. I have looked into bonds and stuff before but sometimes I get a bit scared of the ' risk ' but I guess I should look at investing or even just a cash ISA maybe during uni would be interesting

If you don't understand finance (like 99% of the population) it's best to stick in either a cash ISA or a highly diversified fund (so something like a vanguard fund).

What a vanguard fund does is basically buy stock in hundreds of companies either to match an index like the FTSE 100 or S&P 500 or industry such as energy or technology. So the index matching is typically linked to an economy, S&P 500 is best indicator of the US economy, FTSE 250 is best indicator of UK economy.

So you hold the money in the fund and it grows over time following the market return, so you won't beat the market, but leave that to the experts, because it's a lot better to get a market return than to underperform the market.

This is the golden rule, any money you don't need within 5 years from now should be in the stock market. You will outpace inflation and generate strong returns if you invest well. People who hold stocks for 10 years or more make money 99.3 % of the time, so unless you invest at stupid prices, you will make money in the very long run.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by fg45344
If you don't understand finance (like 99% of the population) it's best to stick in either a cash ISA or a highly diversified fund (so something like a vanguard fund).

What a vanguard fund does is basically buy stock in hundreds of companies either to match an index like the FTSE 100 or S&P 500 or industry such as energy or technology. So the index matching is typically linked to an economy, S&P 500 is best indicator of the US economy, FTSE 250 is best indicator of UK economy.

So you hold the money in the fund and it grows over time following the market return, so you won't beat the market, but leave that to the experts, because it's a lot better to get a market return than to underperform the market.

This is the golden rule, any money you don't need within 5 years from now should be in the stock market. You will outpace inflation and generate strong returns if you invest well. People who hold stocks for 10 years or more make money 99.3 % of the time, so unless you invest at stupid prices, you will make money in the very long run.

Oh wow thanks a lot ; I shall look more into the vanguard funds, and I am very tempted to invest some money at the start of uni and then hopefully gain some form of return a few years after graduating hmm ; can you reccomend any good vanguard funds like how do you know if they're legit ? Sorry if that made no sense
£5, A card and chocolate box, usually, but my birthday's coming up next friday and we'll see. :biggrin:
Reply 23
For my 16th I got a MacBook, my 17th I got all my driving lessons, my 18th I got a massive party and for my 19th I got a dog. Average about 1k a year
I'm content with just a "Happy Birthday" :h:
Original post by junayd1998
I'm content with just a "Happy Birthday" :h:
Good Lad! :biggrin: :top:
Original post by hamza772000
Good Lad! :biggrin: :top:

Yes!! :cool:
I got a £6500 bike, but I'm National standard so... Other year I just got a Macbook or something like that and loads of small presents.

Anon: people in my school are on TSR and don't want them asking for stuff from me xD
Yes!! :cool:
btw, u change ur pp a lot more often now, a lot more confident now, eh? :biggrin:
btw, u change ur pp a lot more often now, a lot more confident now, eh? :biggrin:

na im not loool. But you should put one on. :smile:
na im not loool. But you should put one on. :smile:
lol ur startin to get confident :smile:
I would, if I weren't ugly :tongue: Eminem's doin' it for me rn :tongue:
lol ur startin to get confident :smile:
I would, if I weren't ugly :tongue: Eminem's doin' it for me rn :tongue:

Im not honestly. Your not just put it on lol :tongue:.
Im not honestly. Your not just put it on lol :tongue:.
U are :wink:
Oh, you've seen me before :tongue: I am trust meh, u may not think so.........but :tongue:
About £40 in total, never any more than that.
£25- £50/$50-100
Bout tree fiddy.
Original post by tianshan
On average, parents spend between 0.0025% to 0.005% of their annual income on their teens' birthday, which may include buying presents, hosting parties and going out for dinner.

How about your parents?

What's a birthday?
Original post by Anonymous
I got a £6500 bike, but I'm National standard so... Other year I just got a Macbook or something like that and loads of small presents.

Anon: people in my school are on TSR and don't want them asking for stuff from me xD

Wow.
Depends if I have asked for a particular gift, if it is over £125 I'd probably get money towards it :tongue:
Original post by tianshan
On average, parents spend between 0.0025% to 0.005% of their annual income on their teens' birthday, which may include buying presents, hosting parties and going out for dinner.

How about your parents?

Nothing even though I'd like to, what happens instead is I splash on myself

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending