The Student Room Group

How many of you are truly happy and content with the lives you have?

What is happiness to you, and what measures do you take to reach this happiness? Can happiness even ever be truly achieved?
Happiness to me is not about money like what most people think. It's about to me:
-being happy with the job you're in, not having to force yourself to go to work everyday. As long as you've got enough money to survive, pay bills etc then that's fine.
-being able to say 'I've earned that, I worked hard for it' etc. And being proud of your achievements etc.
-feel good about yourself, self confident not constantly comparing yourself negatively to others

In measurement, I belive it's personal what their definition of happiness is, each person will perceive it differently. But sometimes you've got to make sacrifices to make yourself happier, and not what other people tell you to do etc.

Like for me, I'm going out of the norm with my family with university and career choices and sacrificing my relationships with them to be happy (moving to another country in 3 years after my uni degree..)

No I don't think true happiness can exist, people are always going to experience negative things in their life...however it does depend how people accept it and carry on with life as that can affect their happiness.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Happiness is the feeling of contentedness in which any feelings of incredulity are absent.

Happiness is not a goal that can be 'reached' but more of a mentality. Reaching for happiness is completing life the way you desire without feeling the negativity that the journey to happiness can cause.

Yes, happiness can be achieved. Maybe not in all aspects of one's life but certain moments of success can instill a short/long/permanent mentality of happiness.
Original post by _howl
What is happiness to you, and what measures do you take to reach this happiness? Can happiness even ever be truly achieved?

I am going to be in year 11 in September at school, I have planned out my entire life, I want to be a lecturer or a researcher in organic chemistry at a university, at the moment that is the-the time that I think that I will have achieved true happiness. At the moment I am happy to some extent because I believe I have done well in many exams especially the sciences, but I am not good at maths, happiness is hard. To answer your last question, I believe and know that happiness is different for different people so to answer your question: yes and no, because, true happiness depends on how you define it.
Reply 4
Happiness to me is when you have a low amount of stress and you have things you are grateful for and they give you a lot of joy. A lot of things can make you happy and it'll be different for each of us but for me my partner, cats and family are what makes me most happy and with them, I am perfectly happy and content and couldn't ask for more.

The only thing that I need to be truly happy or at least as happy as I could feel, is to have better physical and mental health and for also for my family's health to improve. Whether that happens is another story but other than that, I am pretty content and lucky compared to most.
Happiness to me is stability and not being frequently stressed. Neither of which I currently have.
I honestly could not be happier than I am at the moment (expect for the day i get married) , from me is happiness is having mine and my families health and being in a job that I love and being able to afford to pay bills and some little treats in life :smile:
Good group of friends, good relationship, manageable workloads and secure financial position.

I'd say I'm 2/4. Don't like my friends and I'm in my overdraft :laugh:
Reply 8
Being happy with what you're doing. Not stressing/worried about bills/things to pay for. Having family/freinds around you. Stable job etc
Original post by Anonymous
I am going to be in year 11 in September at school, I have planned out my entire life, I want to be a lecturer or a researcher in organic chemistry at a university, at the moment that is the-the time that I think that I will have achieved true happiness. At the moment I am happy to some extent because I believe I have done well in many exams especially the sciences, but I am not good at maths, happiness is hard. To answer your last question, I believe and know that happiness is different for different people so to answer your question: yes and no, because, true happiness depends on how you define it.

Hopefully you won't need much maths for organic chem, however I'm not sure.. I was hopeless at maths for years, then a miracle happened, I walked through further maths and well yes.... I have an offer from Oxford for chemistry, I love organic, you can send me a PM if you have any questions :smile:
Original post by _howl

Of course I am happy. Look at the terrible lives people live in developing countries. Complaining about first world problems is appalling in comparison to the misery they suffer, often while still managing to experience happiness.
Original post by Anonymous

Hopefully you won't need much maths for organic chem, however I'm not sure.. I was hopeless at maths for years, then a miracle happened, I walked through further maths and well yes.... I have an offer from Oxford for chemistry, I love organic, you can send me a PM if you have any questions :smile:
Whilst my job is fulfilling becuase i am helping to up skill others and helping to make the world a marginally better place.

My situation at home is far from ideal.

A loveless , hostile and anti-intellectual household , i am pondering moving out but can i do it on a apprenticeship wage in London ?

I have friends at work but there's no guys of a similar age in my organisation so there's no one to talk and relate to.
Happiness is not something you can measure really as it is different as some people are happy when they go through a day and nothing bad happens but for others it is a lot more.

But for me happiness for me is being contempt with what is happening. I normally just stay In a emotional limbo not sad not really happy But I suppose that is contempt. and when happiness does come it is normally is only short lived, not that I mind that but I really wish sometimes I could be dumb or just less intelligent.
To me Happiness is love.
I really should be because I have a lot going for me, but my head always loves to overthink and be sort of primitive; to calculate scenarios and fool me into thinking that I should be worried or sad about something. It's pretty sucky.

Edit: oops, didn't see that this was necroed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending