The Student Room Group

I'm a ****ing failure

I'm such a disappointment. It literally just hit me how much of a ****ing failure I am.
My GCSE's were amazing, I achieved 10A*'s and genuinely thought I was on track for a solid career in dentistry, medicine etc (I'm asian). During my A levels a mixture of complacency and extenuating circumstances led to me achieving abysmal grades (CDE). So this year I resat my A levels and got an offer from LSE and I was over the moon. I thought yaay, finally I can redeem myself. Then came my A level results. I achieved BBB so I was waaaay off the AAA entry requirements. The look on my friends and families face said it all really.
Through clearing I managed to get a place at Aston uni. So now I'm 19 and feel like such a failure. I literally start randomly crying when I think about what I could of had and what my ****ing lazy ass has actually led to me achieving. I'm just so tired. I can't cope. I hate myself.

Scroll to see replies

You made it to uni. You are not a failure.
Well your self-criticism says you care about achievement in life - so you'll end up in a good position eventually, you'll hold yourself to account very strongly. It's a good trait to have, I think.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm such a disappointment. It literally just hit me how much of a ****ing failure I am.
My GCSE's were amazing, I achieved 10A*'s and genuinely thought I was on track for a solid career in dentistry, medicine etc (I'm asian). During my A levels a mixture of complacency and extenuating circumstances led to me achieving abysmal grades (CDE). So this year I resat my A levels and got an offer from LSE and I was over the moon. I thought yaay, finally I can redeem myself. Then came my A level results. I achieved BBB so I was waaaay off the AAA entry requirements. The look on my friends and families face said it all really.
Through clearing I managed to get a place at Aston uni. So now I'm 19 and feel like such a failure. I literally start randomly crying when I think about what I could of had and what my ****ing lazy ass has actually led to me achieving. I'm just so tired. I can't cope. I hate myself.

You are lazy. That's just you. There are a bunch of people who spend hours working everyday and are unable to achieve BBB. Just focus on the future.
You're not a failure just because you didn't achieve the grades you wanted. A BBB at A-Level is something to be proud of. Anyway, those grades are in the past now and I'm sure better things will come in the near future. Good luck at Uni.
If you feel that strongly, can't you resit exams and reapply next year? I had excellent gcses and bad a levels for similar reasons and it took ten years to realise I have been way too hard on myself. Just take a step back from the situation, you're young and still have time, there's absolutely no good that comes from beating youself up about what should have been. good luck

Well first of all, you're not a failure and second - you could always transfer to a better uni I guess?? Just do well in first a year. Also look on the bright side, you improved your grades while having extenuating circumstances, you have amazing GCSEs grades and you have a uni place, all is not lost :smile:
you sound as if you're entitled to those grades and the offer through your race...

Hi there,

The fact that you did so well on multiple occasions shows you are very capable at achieving. All because things didn't go exactly as plan that does not mean your future isn't bright. You have a place at a great uni, you're 19 and you have your whole life ahead of you to do amazing things. Things happen for a reason. Perhaps you were meant to take this path in life and go to Aston. A lot of people make mistakes but it doesn't have to be a mistake if you learn from it- it can be necessary step to make you a better and stronger person. Use your disappointment as a motive to get a first in your degree because you need to remind yourself how great you are! And even if you don't, you can still live a happy and prosperous life. Life is what you make it so don't be disappointed, be excited that you are embarking on a new and exciting journey in which you can turn your disappointment into something positive. You are not a failure - you are a normal person who made a mistake so please remember that ! Best of luck with everything !

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pfffffft someone who managed to get ten A's is not a failure!!

M8 no joke them GCSEs are outstanding and should hook you ALOT of jobs.
This might not make you feel better but being a resitter and managing to get an offer from LSE is amazing.

You think you're a failure? I don't want you to compare yourself but I got BUU in my first year of A levels.

You should note that LSE is not the only university. There are ALOT of other universities with better ratings and lower entry requirements.
(edited 7 years ago)
Even if you really were as lazy as you said you were, there is nothing stopping you from redeeming yourself in a way that restores your self-esteem. Have a good cry, indulge the *****y situation you're in for a while, but whatever you do don't wallow in it forever unless you want to make things even worse. Try your best to move on and decide what to do next.

my GCSE's were 1 b, 4 c's, 3 d's, 3 e's that was 5 years ago
I've made £170,000 so far this year
so you are not a failure you got into uni even if i would have turned it down i would have like to have been offered
A year from now - you'll look back and laugh.. everything happens for a reason - not getting what you want can be a blessing in disguise.
Original post by jamesthehustler
so you are not a failure you got into uni even if i would have turned it down i would have like to have been offered

May I guess you work in... sales? Or an entrepeneur?

They're my best guesses
Original post by jamesthehustler

What job do you do?

TBH I know you feel bad and all but this is so harsh and honestly pretty rude to people that genuinely try and don't do as well as you did. BBB is not a failure. You didn't work as hard as you could have, but you know that and can still rectify that.

There are people that can only dream of getting grades that high, so be grateful for what you have the ability to achieve instead of beating yourself up over it not being good enough.
BBB is good, just ride the wave you big ol' nerd :wink: also 10 A*s wtf??? That's still mad. You can do well, you just need to remember what you did for your GCSEs and maybe those results made you a little too relaxed for A level. I know the exact opposite happened for me (was always miles ahead in class, did no work for GCSE and messed up horribly, worked my ass off for A level). I think it's pretty common for people who shine in class to feel they need to do less work, important thing is that you learned from it. Onwards and upwards my dude, onwards and upwards :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
If you feel that strongly, can't you resit exams and reapply next year? I had excellent gcses and bad a levels for similar reasons and it took ten years to realise I have been way too hard on myself. Just take a step back from the situation, you're young and still have time, there's absolutely no good that comes from beating youself up about what should have been. good luck

I have already resat my A2's once :frown:
Original post by sleepysnooze
you sound as if you're entitled to those grades and the offer through your race...

Lol my post must have gone straight over your head. I'm venting at the fact that I feel worthless because I failed to realise my full potential due to my laziness
p.s. I said "I'm asian" at the medicine/dentistry bit because thats what is stereotypically expected in asian families when you have muliple A*'s at GCSE

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending