The Student Room Group

Not sure whether a remark is worth it please help!

thumbnail_FullSizeRender.jpg

I picked up my results for core science today and I am not sure whether I need a remark? (I'm in year 10)

Once I got home I converted the UMS scores into raw marks, this is what I got:
Biology - 19/60 [D] (7 more marks needed for a C)
Chemistry - 28/60 [D] (1 more mark needed for a C)
Physics - 20/60 [D] (2 more marks needed for a C)

I achieved a C grade overall mostly because of my controlled assessment I think.

Would it be worth getting a remark as I feel that I got more than 19 marks in Biology and I was close to a solid C in Chemistry and Physics??

The only thing that worrys me is that my grade could go down after a remark??

Someone please help me!
Original post by JackT2000

I picked up my results for core science today and I am not sure whether I need a remark? (I'm in year 10)

I achieved a C grade overall mostly because of my controlled assessment I think.

Would it be worth getting a remark as I feel that I got more than 19 marks in Biology and I was close to a solid C in Chemistry and Physics??

Someone please help me!

Heya

First of all, well done on your excellent controlled assessment grade! That's fantastic and a C is still absolutely brilliant, so don't be too hard on yourself. I'd say if you want to go down the route of remarking, that it may be worth it for Chemistry and Physics but not biology as you are a little too far from the grade boundary for it to be viable.

At the end of the day, there is a certain level of risk when it comes to remarking and so you have to be prepared for grades to potentially go down as well as up. As you're in year 10, there may even be the option to resit the course with other students and doing it twice will almost definitely ensure even better grades! Make sure you speak to the head of science about your options.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best of luck and well done!
Ethan
Reply 2
Original post by iEthan
Heya

First of all, well done on your excellent controlled assessment grade! That's fantastic and a C is still absolutely brilliant, so don't be too hard on yourself. I'd say if you want to go down the route of remarking, that it may be worth it for Chemistry and Physics but not biology as you are a little too far from the grade boundary for it to be viable.

At the end of the day, there is a certain level of risk when it comes to remarking and so you have to be prepared for grades to potentially go down as well as up. As you're in year 10, there may even be the option to resit the course with other students and doing it twice will almost definitely ensure even better grades! Make sure you speak to the head of science about your options.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you all the best of luck and well done!
Ethan

Thanks but if I did decide to get a remark for Chemistry and Physics it wouldn't take my overall grade up to a B would it? Maybe should I just keep what I have as I would rather not do an extra 3 exams next year?
Thanks but if I did decide to get a remark for Chemistry and Physics it wouldn't take my overall grade up to a B would it? Maybe should I just keep what I have as I would rather not do an extra 3 exams next year?

You're quite right there, I was trying to get at the point that it may not be viable to have a remark done. A C is a very solid grade anyway and if you're not looking at science in the future, I'd say it'd be ok to leave it and if you wanted to resit next year, that option is open too.
Reply 4
Original post by iEthan
You're quite right there, I was trying to get at the point that it may not be viable to have a remark done. A C is a very solid grade anyway and if you're not looking at science in the future, I'd say it'd be ok to leave it and if you wanted to resit next year, that option is open too.

Thanks I think I will leave it and focus on the rest of my GCSE's, especially English and Maths.
Thanks I think I will leave it and focus on the rest of my GCSE's, especially English and Maths.

I think that's a good decision Jack! All the best for the future and enjoy the rest of your day. :smile:

Someone please help me!

There's an 18% chance of a mark changing at all. Whether it be up or down. Considering this is science, the figure is going to be lower.

I wouldn't recommend it.
Hi guys, in all 3 of my sciences I was 3 marks from an A*. I'm happy with an A grade but as I want to go into medicine I was really hoping for the A* grades and I'm unsure whether to get them remarked
for chemistry I got 40 and need 43,to drop down to a B I would need to loose 5 marks
for biology I got 30 and need 33,to drop down a grade I would need to loose 4 marks
for physics I got 32 and need 36,this is 4 marks id need and I'm 9 marks away from a lower grade

do you think any of these are worth remarking?? I'm pretty happy with 3 A's but if an A* was possible that would be great
Jack Tether?

Quick Reply

Latest