The Student Room Group

Will not choosing maths matter?

I've just got my gcse results and i have picked my a-levels (health & social, ict, business and btec science) i wanted to do maths but i got a C in maths just a few marks off of a B i didn't think they would let me choose it so i didn't pick it although they let my friend choose it who got a C just a few off a B so i was thinking should i try and change one of my a-levels to maths? probably btec science, i want to do a profession in computering, would i be fine with my current a-levels or should i try and change? thanks
Reply 1
If you're trying to get into computing maths if definitely a big bonus but its not a killer if you don't do it as the average university often starts out with GCSE-level maths, so as long as you get good grades in the subjects you have chosen you'll be fine
Only top Unis ask for maths
Reply 3
Original post by Flynx
If you're trying to get into computing maths if definitely a big bonus but its not a killer if you don't do it as the average university often starts out with GCSE-level maths, so as long as you get good grades in the subjects you have chosen you'll be fine

Thanks a lot pal, great to hear that as i feel i may be too late to even change my options that's helped to ease my worries. Appreciate it.
Reply 4
Original post by ODES_PDES
Only top Unis ask for maths

Thanks for the heads up mate
Reply 5
Original post by CarlLFC
Thanks a lot pal, great to hear that as i feel i may be too late to even change my options that's helped to ease my worries. Appreciate it.

As I remember it, you can still change your A-Level choices for about a month or so into the year, so its definitely not too late to pick it up, and if you didn't get the required grade, just know that's all set by the school, not some legal thing, so if you ask them nice enough and act passionate enough about it they will probably let you take it
Reply 6
Original post by Flynx
As I remember it, you can still change your A-Level choices for about a month or so into the year, so its definitely not too late to pick it up, and if you didn't get the required grade, just know that's all set by the school, not some legal thing, so if you ask them nice enough and act passionate enough about it they will probably let you take it

Oh really thanks a lot, i was getting stressed about this, i'm definitely going to try now, that's helped a lot

Quick Reply

Latest