The Student Room Group

Product Management

I graduated a year ago and I'm currently working as a Product Manager (and loving it). I haven't seen much about it on here. It'd be great to hear about other experiences and discuss salary expectation etc.

Anyone else interested in Product Management?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by TVLover
I graduated a year ago and I'm currently working as a Product Manager (and loving it). I haven't seen much about it on here. It'd be great to hear about other experiences and discuss salary expectation etc.

What kind? Technology product management? Or more marketing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Going from a role thats a bit of a mix to full fledged technology product management which is much more up my street.
Original post by TVLover

1. Please, answer PP's question :smile:
2. How did you end up in that role?
2.1 What was your previous experience?
3. What do you do in your job normally?
4. What's your salary like and where are you based (city/region-wise)?
5. What's your career goal?
6. What's your background (degree subject)?
Original post by TVLover
Going from a role thats a bit of a mix to full fledged technology product management which is much more up my street.

Cool.

What type of employer are you at? Big tech co? Startup?

How did your role change from the hybrid marketing/tech one you were in before to the more full on tech role?

What would you say differentiates you as a PM vs the software engineers/designers/more technical folk? Which parts of the company do you liaise with?

Do you plan on staying the course to more senior management? Is an MBA on the cards?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
So it's taken me a while to get round to answering these, but here I am.

- It's at a large media company

- The main change is the level of responsibility you have for the actual product development, versus being more responsible for the product proposition and marketing as opposed to it's actual creation. So I'll be spending more time with engineers and designers (as I did in a previous internship) instead of marketing teams.

- I think the to me being a PM is the ability to understand your customer and look at solving problems in the way that works best for them, not you, the company or your investors. The second and probably most important is being able to work well with the designers and engineers (finance, marketers and everyone else), understand their different points of view, and help them work well with each other.

- Yes, Product Management is what I want to do for the foreseeable future. MBA wise, I've considered one and may do it if I hit a point were I want to take a career break, and get a scholarship. Otherwise I feel like I've started out as a pm early enough that I likely won't need on. I already have a good STEM Masters so I think I can get by without a fancy MBA.
Reply 6
1. Please, answer PP's question :smile:
2. How did you end up in that role?

I did a Product Management internship and I loved it, so I looked for product roles once I was done.

2.1 What was your previous experience?

I spent my 4 summers at university (and a couple of weeks of the christmases) doing internships, so I've had experience in quite a few different industries including a lot of media and advertising. I've also worked on some side projects of my own.

3. What do you do in your job normally?
A lot, mainly define the product vision and proposition which is basically what you want to do for users and the features/developments that you believe will help you achieve that. Then you work with engineers and designers to implement.

4. What's your salary like and where are you based (city/region-wise)?
London, and going from mid 30s to mid 40s

5. What's your career goal?
I want to create and head my own product one day. So right now I'm looking at learning as much as I can as quickly as I can.

6. What's your background (degree subject)?
Did an Engineering degree
(edited 7 years ago)
Very helpful!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending