The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

Language option

Hi ya!

I'm going to start my post graduate in Social Anthropology in SOAS.

I'm torn between taking the optional module or taking Chinese at their language centre. Does anyone have an informed opinion? Or any experience in this regard?
Reply 1
Original post by Markssa
Hi ya!

I'm going to start my post graduate in Social Anthropology in SOAS.

I'm torn between taking the optional module or taking Chinese at their language centre. Does anyone have an informed opinion? Or any experience in this regard?

I have neither, but I'm chiming in because I'm curious too and to bump this back up. Do you know if we need to pay if we take a language at the centre? I also rather want to just sit in on lectures on Turkish, which I already speak semi-fluently.
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
Reply 2
Thanks for chiming in :smile: you do need to pay extra for classes in the language centre .
Their prices are listed on their website.
It's a bit pricey but we'd get 25% off.

I also speak the language that I want to take at a upper-intermediate level and I wasn't sure that they would provide classes at that level as optional modules.
Reply 3
Original post by Markssa
Thanks for chiming in :smile: you do need to pay extra for classes in the language centre .
Their prices are listed on their website.
It's a bit pricey but we'd get 25% off.

I also speak the language that I want to take at a upper-intermediate level and I wasn't sure that they would provide classes at that level as optional modules.

Are you sure? I've since found this https://www.soas.ac.uk/languagecultures/studentinfo/language-entitlement-programme/ which seems to say every student is entitled to learn one language for free, outside of their course (i.e. not as one of the modules, which seems to be an option for quite a few courses).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending