The Student Room Group

Who has done better in A-level than GCSEs?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Rajive
What subjects and what are you taking to A2?

I'm taking Biology, Geography and Environmental science to A2
My other subject was photography which I hated 😬
Reply 61
GCSEs - AABBCCCCCD
AS - AAB
A-level (predicted) - A*AA

Although My AS looks better than GCSE I got an A in maths, at AS I got a B although it was like 3 UMS off thanks to statistics, really disappointed I didn't get AAA. I also didn't do too good in English Langusge and lit at GCSE, was told it was an essential skill for economics and politics due to the essay content but came out with 2 A's :smile: so I've improved my foundation skills in general too.
Reply 62
At GCSE I got one A (in maths) 6 B's 4 C's one D and one E so wasn't great tbh. In the sciences i got a C in core and a B in both additional and further additional science. Not great up to this year, I guess i wasnt motivated until sixth form? i revised like every night on and off for 2 hrs a day and ended up with 4 A's in Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths AS. Pretty chuffed, and the uni's i've spoken too say an upward trend in grades is regarded about as highly as good GCSE's. Haven't asked Oxbridge as i feel like its a bit of a waste of time tbh, would love to hear differently though if any of you think that its worth it.
Reply 63
Original post by bigmax5
At GCSE I got one A (in maths) 6 B's 4 C's one D and one E so wasn't great tbh. In the sciences i got a C in core and a B in both additional and further additional science. Not great up to this year, I guess i wasnt motivated until sixth form? i revised like every night on and off for 2 hrs a day and ended up with 4 A's in Biology Chemistry Physics and Maths AS. Pretty chuffed, and the uni's i've spoken too say an upward trend in grades is regarded about as highly as good GCSE's. Haven't asked Oxbridge as i feel like its a bit of a waste of time tbh, would love to hear differently though if any of you think that its worth it.

id like to apologise for the lack of format.
GCSE - ABBBBBBCCCCDE
AS - AAAA
in Maths Chemistry Biology and Physics.
Dropping biology this year, and want to do physics at uni.
I got an A at History GCSE (knew I should have done better) and improved to get an A* at History A Level.
GCSEs: 1a, 7bs, 1c
AS Levels: AADD
Done much better at AS level imo. Can easily retake one D and get a B and the other D i'll be dropping.
Much prefer A-level study honestly, suits me more. Its more in depth, GCSE was so simple it was boring and i just did enough to get into college honestly, i didn't give a **** about my GCSE grades, lmao.
Original post by jamestg
x

Hey James,

Congratulations on your improvement at AS. Looking at your results sheet, it says you got 79 (out of 100) for Edexcel history, and ended up with an A. Does this mean the mark equivalents on the results sheet are raw marks instead of UMS? If they were UMS, surely you would've got a B?

I ask because I want to know my raw marks, and haven't had a chance to contact my exams officer yet. Any insight you could give would be really useful.
Original post by Jasaron
Hey James,

Congratulations on your improvement at AS. Looking at your results sheet, it says you got 79 (out of 100) for Edexcel history, and ended up with an A. Does this mean the mark equivalents on the results sheet are raw marks instead of UMS? If they were UMS, surely you would've got a B?

I ask because I want to know my raw marks, and haven't had a chance to contact my exams officer yet. Any insight you could give would be really useful.

Thank you!!

Yeah it's raw marks! This is because it was a new AS. The other marks are all UMS however.
Reply 68
Original post by lw8
GCSEs: 1a, 7bs, 1c
AS Levels: AADD
Done much better at AS level imo. Can easily retake one D and get a B and the other D i'll be dropping.
Much prefer A-level study honestly, suits me more. Its more in depth, GCSE was so simple it was boring and i just did enough to get into college honestly, i didn't give a **** about my GCSE grades, lmao.

What subjects did you do?
Reply 69
Subject: English Literature

GCSE Grade (For the subjects listed above): A

A-Level Grade (For the subjects listed above): A* [with full marks in the final exam hehe]

Comments: I did worse in some subjects too. In bio I went from an A to a D. Spanish A* to an A.
Original post by Zeeiqbal
I failed my english and maths during gcses. Retook them and passed them. For my A levels, I got all A*. So never lose hope!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

thats awesome
Original post by Rajive
What subjects did you do?

At GCSE,
Business - A
ICT - B
PE - B
Science - BB
Maths - B
English Lit - B
History - B
English Language - C

At AS level;
Business - A
Economics - A
Maths - D (retaking C1, hopefully get a B)
PE - D (dropping)
Original post by jamestg
Thank you!!

Yeah it's raw marks! This is because it was a new AS. The other marks are all UMS however.

Aha! Much appreciated. Congratulations again.
Reply 73
Original post by zayn008
GCSEs - AABBCCCCCD
AS - AAB
A-level (predicted) - A*AA

Although My AS looks better than GCSE I got an A in maths, at AS I got a B although it was like 3 UMS off thanks to statistics, really disappointed I didn't get AAA. I also didn't do too good in English Langusge and lit at GCSE, was told it was an essential skill for economics and politics due to the essay content but came out with 2 A's :smile: so I've improved my foundation skills in general too.

What are you hoping to do at degree level? Good set of results regardless though, from GCSE to A level. Well done!
Reply 74
Original post by Rajive
What are you hoping to do at degree level? Good set of results regardless though, from GCSE to A level. Well done!

Hey thanks for that! :biggrin: I really wanna do PPE or Govenment & Economics. What about you?
Reply 75
Original post by zayn008
Hey thanks for that! :biggrin: I really wanna do PPE or Govenment & Economics. What about you?

Just finished GCSE with a similar set of results (2As 2Bs 4Cs 2Ds) gonna do maths economics and history. Yeah.
Got 7A's and 4B's at GCSE and no A*s :frown:

Got A*A*A at A-level and into Warwick Uni :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 77
Original post by Rajive
Just finished GCSE with a similar set of results (2As 2Bs 4Cs 2Ds) gonna do maths economics and history. Yeah.

Congratulations and Best of luck! Those were my original choices, then I decided to add politics, then I found out politics, economics and history were all in the same block 😪 Had to end up doing only politics & maths in school, self-teaching economics and I started history a few months ago but doing an entire a-level in a year on top of my current work load just seemed like too much… if I take a gap year I'd definitely do history
GCSE: 2A*S 4AS 4BS (A* in maths and chemistry, A in biology)
AS level: 4AS in maths (290/300 ums), further maths (260/300 ums), biology and chemistry
Haven't done A2 yet so can't get A*'s yet.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by Ipsooo
An Asian :biggrin:

If I'd said that, it would've been racist :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest