The Student Room Group

Everything I write sounds juvenile?

I'm trying to write my personal statement and I have a list of all the experiences I can talk about but whenever I try to expand beyond the first sentence about what I actually learnt from them, it comes out sounding like a child describing it to their parents?
How can I write more sophisticatedly? I've never been too good at english, so could anyone suggest interesting verbs I could use (instead of 'enabled' or 'gave me the opportunity to')?
Original post by IDontKnowReally
I'm trying to write my personal statement and I have a list of all the experiences I can talk about but whenever I try to expand beyond the first sentence about what I actually learnt from them, it comes out sounding like a child describing it to their parents?
How can I write more sophisticatedly? I've never been too good at english, so could anyone suggest interesting verbs I could use (instead of 'enabled' or 'gave me the opportunity to':wink:?

Writing in clear english concisely is pretty rare in PSs and stands out for all the right reasons.

Don't worry about sounding sophisticated - just write honestly and clearly....then once you've got a draft read it out loud. That's the best way to spot errors and to spot alternative wordings/phrasings.

It isn't supposed to be polished and finished on the first draft - and it isn't supposed to sound like you're spouting a thesaurus.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending