The Student Room Group

Is it worth the remark?

I want to do medicine in the future or something related and I know they'd want good grades. I got 4A*s 4As and 2Bs. The B is in english language. I know i meet the minimum requirements but I was 2 marks from an A and all my coursework was top notch but it was just the exam and I'm really annoyed about that. Would it make a difference when applying to uni? I have to pay with my own money (not parent's) £36.50 and there's no guarantee for a higher grade. The same goes with maths, I got an A but I was only 4 marks off an A* and I worked so so hard. I have also completed the french A level but I got a C and my marks looked really strange, ridiculously low as I have planned out my writing very well. It costs £10.30 for the paper itself to be shown to me. So what do you think? Should I go for it?
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by geniequeen48
I want to do medicine in the future or something related and I know they'd want good grades. I got 4A*s 4As and 2Bs. The B is in english language. I know i meet the minimum requirements but I was 2 marks from an A and all my coursework was top notch but it was just the exam and I'm really annoyed about that. Would it make a difference when applying to uni? I have to pay with my own money (not parent's) £36.50 and there's no guarantee for a higher grade. The same goes with maths, I got an A but I was only 4 marks off an A* and I worked so so hard. I have also completed the french A level but I got a C and my marks looked really strange, ridiculously low as I have planned out my writing very well. It costs £10.30 for the paper itself to be shown to me. So what do you think? Should I go for it?

looks like you're in a similar position to me, im also 2 marks off. What exam board did you do?

Advice given to me was that i should go for it since its worth a go and if you feel you did well then its definitely worth a shot. If your hesitant about parting with the cash you've got a hard decision, but id say that chance of it improving your grade is worth it - altho if its cie you're doing (like myself) beware that they are apparently quite tough, a number of people on here and some of my teachers mentioned that so keep it in mind.
Original post by EC22
looks like you're in a similar position to me, im also 2 marks off. What exam board did you do?

Advice given to me was that i should go for it since its worth a go and if you feel you did well then its definitely worth a shot. If your hesitant about parting with the cash you've got a hard decision, but id say that chance of it improving your grade is worth it - altho if its cie you're doing (like myself) beware that they are apparently quite tough, a number of people on here and some of my teachers mentioned that so keep it in mind.

Hmm okay, yeah I did cie. I'm just going to leave it :/
Reply 3
Honestly, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. Most Med schools (if they're interested in GCSEs) require a B in English Language, which you have. And the difference between the A and an A* in Maths is minuscule and will make no difference at all. Congratulations on your excellent results.
Original post by Clemm101
Honestly, I wouldn't beat yourself up about it. Most Med schools (if they're interested in GCSEs) require a B in English Language, which you have. And the difference between the A and an A* in Maths is minuscule and will make no difference at all. Congratulations on your excellent results.

Thank you for the reassurance :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest