The Student Room Group

Think I've failed a resit, what now? (medicine)

Okay so I've just sat a second year resit and I dont want to believe it but in all honesty I think there's a big chance that I may have failed the resit, (probably by like half a percentage knowing my luck). My revision was, honestly, mediocre (in my view) and I found the exam hard as its conceptual/anatomy and I can remember many questions where i made stupid mistakes. I revised well for some modules and others i didn't so I'm not sure if thats enough to put me over the edge, especially as I found my 'good' modules quite challenging in the exam too.

I don't think I'll be able to successfully appeal as I have already resat the year due health problems so it is unlikely i will be able to retake the year again. Also I'm not sure if medicine is even for me anymore, the thought of being sh*t on by the government/patients with a crap work/life balance for the rest of my life is not an appealing one anymore.

The results are 10 days away and it's pure agony waiting for them, especially if I have a feeling I'll be gutted. I have the feeling occasionally that I'm being too pessimistic and that I have likely passed but i don't want to indulge in this because it'll shatter me if i have failed.

I want to know how I can plan for this. It's been years since I've applied for university and I can't remember how the system works. Ideally i'd like to re-apply to study natural sciences at say Exceter/Durham/Bristol but I will probably have to retake an A-level to get an A* to meet some of their offers (currently I have AAAc)

Anybody got any word of wisdom? The 10 day wait for results seems to be pure agony and I just wish they'd put me out of my misery :frown:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No great wisdom, I'm afraid, just lots of sympathy. It's easy to look back on exams and think of all the things that you could have done better, so I wouldn't be too surprised if actually you did ok, but obviously only the examiners know that at the moment!

Do you think your feeling unsure about medicine is a genuine one or is it because of the stress that this resit has put you under? Conditions aren't brilliant, and the future isn't looking much better, but I do still love my job most of the time and can't really see myself doing anything else. If you haven't started clinicals yet, and you have passed this exam, then I suggest you stick it out a bit longer so you can actually see what being on the wards is like.

If you can't stay on, or if you decide to leave, then I guess the first step would be to contact your current uni to see if they would accept a transfer onto one of their biomed-type courses, as you may get some credit for years already completed. Otherwise, it's back to UCAS, though I'm not sure what the funding implications would be if you've already completed more than one year of another course. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Helenia
No great wisdom, I'm afraid, just lots of sympathy. It's easy to look back on exams and think of all the things that you could have done better, so I wouldn't be too surprised if actually you did ok, but obviously only the examiners know that at the moment!

Do you think your feeling unsure about medicine is a genuine one or is it because of the stress that this resit has put you under? Conditions aren't brilliant, and the future isn't looking much better, but I do still love my job most of the time and can't really see myself doing anything else. If you haven't started clinicals yet, and you have passed this exam, then I suggest you stick it out a bit longer so you can actually see what being on the wards is like.

If you can't stay on, or if you decide to leave, then I guess the first step would be to contact your current uni to see if they would accept a transfer onto one of their biomed-type courses, as you may get some credit for years already completed. Otherwise, it's back to UCAS, though I'm not sure what the funding implications would be if you've already completed more than one year of another course. Good luck!

Thanks for your post Helenia, I really do hope I've managed to scrape a pass somehow, it'll be gutting if I have to leave after three years of putting down roots in medicine as well as the shame of leaving everything after three years, would feel like a complete failure :s-smilie: Will just have to wait until the results come out and hold tight until then.

I think the feeling unsure about medicine is a bit of both, it's a bit of preparing myself for the worst case scenario and also finding pre-clinical years a bit draining with the amount of assignments going on as well as the fact that the future seems a bit uncertain right now. I'll be starting clinical year preparation before the results come out so hopefully that could take my mind of thing (although it's a double edged sword if things don't go to plan!)

Thats a good idea, although I'm really not fond of the university and location part from the actual medical school campus itself so I dont know if I could stomach staying on if it's not medicine! I'll have to have a look at funding and UCAS stuff
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
bump
Reply 4
You've already had 3 years so in terms of funding, so your funding would be eligible for 1 year and you'd have to pay the first 2 years. If you do a new course like Biomed for 3 years it would be:

Length of new course + 1 gift year - previous years studied = How many years you're eligible for funding

So 3+1 - 3 = 1

You state you had health problems for a year so you may be able to submit CPR (compelling personal reasons) to Student Finance and get an extra year of funding so funded for 2 years. You'd still need to find funding for a year.

Now moving on:

Stop worrying. Stop thinking about alternative scenarios. Stop planning the future just yet. I know it's easier said than done but wait until you have these results. Then come back and discuss if necessary.

Original post by kate4354
as well as the shame of leaving everything after three years, would feel like a complete failure :s-smilie: Will just have to wait until the results come out and hold tight until then.

Stop this. There's no shame. You're not a complete failure. You don't need to feel like a complete failure. S**t happens. It's ridiculous. It's unfortunate. You can have regrets and what if's but ultimately, you're just wasting time. That's what you should have shame in and that's when you should feel like a failure.

If the results come out and you've passed, woohoo. Reflect. Learn. Move on.

If it's bad news, take a day to process and drown your sorrows and then work on how you're moving forward! That's when you come back here for help :smile: Whether it's worth begging and appealing for another go or trying to get some credits and transfer.

I hope that your results are what you're hoping for and you get some good news! Do update when you get them so we can celebrate with you or try and help you with how to move forward!

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 5
Original post by JayAhm
You've already had 3 years so in terms of funding, so your funding would be eligible for 1 year and you'd have to pay the first 2 years. If you do a new course like Biomed for 3 years it would be:

Length of new course + 1 gift year - previous years studied = How many years you're eligible for funding

So 3+1 - 3 = 1

You state you had health problems for a year so you may be able to submit CPR (compelling personal reasons) to Student Finance and get an extra year of funding so funded for 2 years. You'd still need to find funding for a year.

Now moving on:

Stop worrying. Stop thinking about alternative scenarios. Stop planning the future just yet. I know it's easier said than done but wait until you have these results. Then come back and discuss if necessary.

Thank you, I really needed to hear this. Much appreciated :smile: I've practically locked myself in my room and binged on Netflix and takeaways for the past few days since the exam (bit unhealthy I know) but uni is starting tomorrow so that should take my mind off things.

Stop this. There's no shame. You're not a complete failure. You don't need to feel like a complete failure. S**t happens. It's ridiculous. It's unfortunate. You can have regrets and what if's but ultimately, you're just wasting time. That's what you should have shame in and that's when you should feel like a failure.

If the results come out and you've passed, woohoo. Reflect. Learn. Move on.

If it's bad news, take a day to process and drown your sorrows and then work on how you're moving forward! That's when you come back here for help :smile: Whether it's worth begging and appealing for another go or trying to get some credits and transfer.

I hope that your results are what you're hoping for and you get some good news! Do update when you get them so we can celebrate with you or try and help you with how to move forward!

I'll try and put it to the back of my mind until results otherwise ill wind myself up about it unnecessarily! Will definitely update once I get the results (or at least if I dont report back within 2-3 weeks it should be good news ahah ). Thanks for your reply :smile:
Reply 6
Thank you, I really needed to hear this. Much appreciated :smile: I've practically locked myself in my room and binged on Netflix and takeaways for the past few days since the exam (bit unhealthy I know) but uni is starting tomorrow so that should take my mind off things.

Absolutely nothing unhealthy about that. That's exactly what you need to try and take your mind off things at times like this! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Original post by JayAhm
Absolutely nothing unhealthy about that. That's exactly what you need to try and take your mind off things at times like this! :biggrin:

I haven't got the results yet but will be getting them in 1.5 days. I've managed to hold off on the panic for the past 2 weeks but starting to feel really panicky/nervy now, hope i can keep my cool over the next 36 hours :s-smilie: I'm getting dreams that i've failed an all :frown:
I haven't got the results yet but will be getting them in 1.5 days. I've managed to hold off on the panic for the past 2 weeks but starting to feel really panicky/nervy now, hope i can keep my cool over the next 36 hours :s-smilie: I'm getting dreams that i've failed an all :frown:

Best of luck, I really hope you pass.

i don't know if this means much, but as a religious person, i am praying for you! I really hope you pass! Stay strong independent of the outcome. Post on the med students forum if you need support, we're here for you!
Reply 10
Original post by Chief Wiggum

thank you :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Anonymous
i don't know if this means much, but as a religious person, i am praying for you! I really hope you pass! Stay strong independent of the outcome. Post on the med students forum if you need support, we're here for you!

thank you :smile: ahah i would but i dont want to post loads of threads and clog up the forum, i feel like i've vented to everyone about it enough, dont want to over do it :s-smilie:
Goodluck .I hope it works out for you
gl
Reply 14
Original post by Inspiringvisons

Original post by mariam687
gl

thank you, its going to be a long night!
Reply 15
Original post by Helenia
N!

Original post by JayAhm
Y

Original post by Chief Wiggum

Original post by Anonymous

Original post by Inspiringvisons

Original post by mariam687
gl

I passed :biggrin: so relieved! thanks for the kind words :biggrin:

Nice to hear. Well done.
Reply 17

So happy for you! Can breathe a sigh of relief and relax now!

After you've got over the excitement and joy, take a bit of time out to think about what happened and why it happened. And what you're going to do to make sure it never happens again!

Wallowing in your PJ's watching netflix is great but you wanna be able to do it without any stress hanging over you! :P

Thanks for updating us!

Good luck for the future :smile:
Congratulations! Good luck with the rest of the course.
That's wonderful.I'm glad to know that it worked out for you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending