The Student Room Group

Black Box Insurance

Hi, so I'm looking for some insurance and the only realistic price I am getting is for black box, so which one would be best, CoOp, Tesco Bank box or ingenie, or any other anybody would recommend, is there any that aren't as strict as I don't want to stick to the speed limit all the time I'm not saying I will speed all the time just ocassianly thanks.
I went with More Than because they were cheaper by about £1000. They also don't have curfews and wont fine you or increase your premium for your first year.
MyPolicy

I drive with the traffic flow, say 35-40mph in 30mph zones.

My black box doesn't notice at all!

The box will only notify the insurance company if you are doing 50% over the speed limit. 45 in a 30, 60 in a 40. 90 in a 60!
So when I want to drive fast and hard I go to a certain area I know there are few cars and where it is a 60, I can do up to 90! But I rarely go above 60 anyway as my car is bouncing all over the country lanes there Ahahah good fun.

Then if I get a bad score, my commutes to work will get me good scores nearly everyday, numbers can be manipulated by averages! So no one can tell. As long as I stay below 50% above the speed limit.
Reply 3
Thanks for the help, are you with mypolicy.co.UK ? Do you have any curfews or milage resitrictions?, so you've never been notified for speeding ? I'm liking the sound of this. I've heard Tesco aren't strict on speeding either. Mypolicy came up at 1200 which is 300 cheaper than Tesco.
Reply 4
Original post by Bern Herkins
MyPolicy

I drive with the traffic flow, say 35-40mph in 30mph zones.

My black box doesn't notice at all!

The box will only notify the insurance company if you are doing 50% over the speed limit. 45 in a 30, 60 in a 40. 90 in a 60!
So when I want to drive fast and hard I go to a certain area I know there are few cars and where it is a 60, I can do up to 90! But I rarely go above 60 anyway as my car is bouncing all over the country lanes there Ahahah good fun.

Then if I get a bad score, my commutes to work will get me good scores nearly everyday, numbers can be manipulated by averages! So no one can tell. As long as I stay below 50% above the speed limit.

Thanks for the help, are you with mypolicy.co.UK ? Do you have any curfews or milage resitrictions?, so you've never been notified for speeding ? I'm liking the sound of this. I've heard Tesco aren't strict on speeding either. Mypolicy came up at 1200 which is 300 cheaper than Tesco.
Reply 5
I had black box policies with aviva which I got through my policy for the first two years of driving. They were by far the cheapest, they had no curfews and I never had any problems when I may have gone over the speed limit, although they did have mileage restrictions.

My only issue with them is when I came to renew on my third year, they offered me a renewal quote of £1,200 despite the fact that the previous year I had paid £800, hadn't claimed at all and hadn't had any claims against me. I rang them and they didn't even try to reduce the quote. This year I went with direct line for £660. There's no curfew, speed hasn't been an issue and my mileage isn't limited although they did ask for an estimation. Make sure to check insurers that aren't on comparison websites.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 6
Yeah I checked a few which I don't think are in price comparison websites, direct line being the cheapest without black box at 3200, I really don't want to have a black box I can afford the insurance but would rather not spend that much on it, and recommendations on other insurance companies without black box that aren't on comparison websites thanks.
Original post by Studentdany
Hi, so I'm looking for some insurance and the only realistic price I am getting is for black box, so which one would be best, CoOp, Tesco Bank box or ingenie, or any other anybody would recommend, is there any that aren't as strict as I don't want to stick to the speed limit all the time I'm not saying I will speed all the time just ocassianly thanks.

I wouldnt go for any of them.
Black boxes are a load of ****.
Original post by Studentdany

Hi there.

Yeah im with that site :smile:

I have been notified for speeding. 56 in a 30 :/
(was the dead of night and was a straight road but still..)

But they just phoned me up and gave me a warning and that was that.
My insurance was £1800 last year.
Down to £700 this year!!!!

No time curfews either. And my policy is for 5000 miles.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 9
Hi, thanks for the help really appreciate it, I'm seriously considering going with them. One last thing how strict are they when accelerating braking and cornering is it quite hard to get good scores or is it just the case of driving how you want. Being 17 I would always have the temptation to put my foot down every now and then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending