The Student Room Group

How to get motivated for English Lit GCSE?

For some reason, I have a strong hatred for Eng Lit. I've always loved reading and I still do but the over-analysing in class just puts me off. The only way I've survived is quickly writing down everything the teacher says whilst she rambles on about the assonance (?) of the words and how they create a hissing flowing sound resulting in an everlasting feel of utopia (idek). Or the internet. If we ever get question essays for assignments, I usually just search it up and it pops up. I make notes from there and write it in my own words. However, in exam conditions (without notes or the internet), I usually get an A*, but I still strongly despise it and do not enjoy it. How can I change this before GCSEs come rolling around? Because it will honestly ruin everything if I do not enjoy revising for a topic.
Hi, I felt exactly the same about the subject all of the way through the course. I did however end the course achieving a higher grade in Lit, in comparison to Lang, which I enjoyed a lot more. I would recommend just sitting in the class listening and taking everything in that is needed, and learn a format for the end exam. Its English Lit...It isn't meant to be fun, but you can't drop it.
Reply 2
Original post by jsk800
Hi, I felt exactly the same about the subject all of the way through the course. I did however end the course achieving a higher grade in Lit, in comparison to Lang, which I enjoyed a lot more. I would recommend just sitting in the class listening and taking everything in that is needed, and learn a format for the end exam. Its English Lit...It isn't meant to be fun, but you can't drop it.

Thanks, I guess I'll have to just get on with it. Could you expand on what you mean by a format for the end exam?
You can't. Don't bother. Don't even try. It's the devil's subject. Abort! Abort! Abort!
:teeth:

Banana :h::h:
P.S. Don't get me started on English Language. It's even worse. :puke::puke:
What I meant by format, is as follows:

Paragraph one - Poem1 themeParagraph two - Poem2 themeParagraph thee - Poem1 structureParagraph four - Poem2 structureParagraph five - Poem1 imageryParagraph six - Poem2 imageryIn my opinion, being able to know how you're going to write, made me more confident about my skills in English, and I knew that I would perform better in the exam with a structure to my writing.
Reply 6
Original post by Banana00
You can't. Don't bother. Don't even try. It's the devil's subject. Abort! Abort! Abort!
:teeth:

*aborts mission*
Reply 7
Original post by jsk800
What I meant by format, is as follows:

Paragraph one - Poem1 themeParagraph two - Poem2 themeParagraph thee - Poem1 structureParagraph four - Poem2 structureParagraph five - Poem1 imageryParagraph six - Poem2 imageryIn my opinion, being able to know how you're going to write, made me more confident about my skills in English, and I knew that I would perform better in the exam with a structure to my writing.

Thanks, this seems useful and I'll try it out :smile:
Hi I have the exact same issues. I am just totally hopeless at analysis but my writing side is really good (language paper). To cope with all of this I usually read through the text just say a poem such as Ozymandias then make a list of all the different techniques I know of such as sibilance (frequent s sound). So for sibilance is it a hard s or a soft s? Does it make you calm or tense? For the literature paper it is usually the effect of the reder so I guess it could be the effect that it has on you because you are reading it. Hope this kind of helped and good luck for your mocks in December
I hated English as well, unfortunately if you hate the subject there's nothing you can do. You'll just have to work at it for the sake for a good grade! Eventually you'll be able to drop it anyway.
Original post by wydyoongi
*aborts mission*

:laugh: Unfortunately it's not possible in the life outside TSR :frown:

Anyway - all the best!
English lit can be a bit of a slog- but just remember it will be worth it!
Overtime the more you practise it the better you will become! I'm doing Lord of the Flies, Conflict and Power poems, Frankenstein and Much Ado About Nothing. When we started the course I was terrible at including quotes and explaining them properly but now we've nearly finished Frankenstein and I have become far more confident and I'm really beginning to enjoy it!
I'd give you what I used to get an A, but I've buried it somewhere under a load of paper
I forgot the mention in my other post, but if you don't already, you should watch Mr Bruff on youtube. His videos actually saved my grade.
Reply 14
Original post by Snowystar
Hi I have the exact same issues. I am just totally hopeless at analysis but my writing side is really good (language paper). To cope with all of this I usually read through the text just say a poem such as Ozymandias then make a list of all the different techniques I know of such as sibilance (frequent s sound). So for sibilance is it a hard s or a soft s? Does it make you calm or tense? For the literature paper it is usually the effect of the reder so I guess it could be the effect that it has on you because you are reading it. Hope this kind of helped and good luck for your mocks in December

Thanks, this was actually really helpful and I'll definitely try it out :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by bonnie_x
I hated English as well, unfortunately if you hate the subject there's nothing you can do. You'll just have to work at it for the sake for a good grade! Eventually you'll be able to drop it anyway.

eventually...
Reply 16
Original post by bonnie_x
I forgot the mention in my other post, but if you don't already, you should watch Mr Bruff on youtube. His videos actually saved my grade.

thanks, i've heard of him before and i think he has some guides?
Original post by wydyoongi
For some reason, I have a strong hatred for Eng Lit. I've always loved reading and I still do but the over-analysing in class just puts me off. The only way I've survived is quickly writing down everything the teacher says whilst she rambles on about the assonance (?) of the words and how they create a hissing flowing sound resulting in an everlasting feel of utopia (idek). Or the internet. If we ever get question essays for assignments, I usually just search it up and it pops up. I make notes from there and write it in my own words. However, in exam conditions (without notes or the internet), I usually get an A*, but I still strongly despise it and do not enjoy it. How can I change this before GCSEs come rolling around? Because it will honestly ruin everything if I do not enjoy revising for a topic.

You don't need to revise- I didn't revise or read the books for english lit and I got an A*, with 100 UMS in lord of the flies (and I really hated lit!) You'll be fine!:h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending