The Student Room Group

I cant afford the application fee, for sixth form.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by abc:)
But then how will OP pay the fees if they can't afford the application fee...

Im applying for a bursary.
Original post by MissChameleon
I'm also applying for henrietta barnet, tiffins and possibly latymer. Have you been to Holland Park open day? I recommend applying there as well despite it not being a grammar school it obtains great results.

Are you applying to any private schools?Also what do you think of holland park personally? What school do you want to go to most and what a levels do you want to do?
Reply 22
Original post by Anonymous1502
Im applying for a bursary.

Fair enough. Just so you know, if you don't get into a prestigious college it really isn't the end of the world. I told you about that A* I got in English cause of my amazing teacher, that was at a very ordinary Sixth Form College in Birmingham, not even attached to a school just a standalone college. I never went to Oxford but I did go on to Russell Group uni. The quality of teaching in my college, minus my Biology teacher, was just amazing. I mean fair enough if this is where you want to go but I just want to speak up for the ordinary colleges on here :wink:
So harsh and also exaggerated. The teacher and quality of teaching makes all the difference. For GCSE Biology and English I got A and A. Both good teachers. At A-level I got D and A*, respectively. The A* also included full marks in the final exam. This was because my Biology teacher was awful but my English teacher was incredible.

tbh you are comparing water with oil, they dont mix. GCSEs are far easier than A Levels, also at A Levels you mature and focus more on studies than at GCSEs.

While I agree teachers play an important role, its more about if you enjoy a subject or not. My last years bio teacher was really good, but I didn't like biology, so I dropped it.

Also you are comparing a STEM subject with English...
oh wah wah wah, i wanna be a tory but dont have the money.
99% of people would go to a fee paying sixth form if they could, better results, more prep for prestigious courses/unis etc
99% of people don't, the sixth form isn't overly important. It's your ability and motivation.
Original post by PrinceOfOrange
oh wah wah wah, i wanna be a tory but dont have the money.

Here is a saying: The richest place is the graveyard because its full of ideas and dreams that died along with people. If its your dream to be a tory then don't let money stop you, go for it, instead of putting people down because you cant motivate yourself to do it. I want to go to this private school not because tis private but because it could help me achieve my dreams and provide me with a better life and standard of education.Education might not be as important to you, as it is to me, but for me its one of the most important things.
Original post by VMD100
99% of people would go to a fee paying sixth form if they could, better results, more prep for prestigious courses/unis etc
99% of people don't, the sixth form isn't overly important. It's your ability and motivation.

Its not only the results and better chance of getting to a prestigious university but the atmosphere of the school, the extra curriculum and it has more like minded people and other things also.
Reply 28
Why are you complaining on TSR? Go get a part time job. Im also sure that if you live in the area radius they accept people from you can afford it (Main London). Im from a low income area and people who beg for money annoy me, we are all students and cant fund your dreams that's up to you. Try a go fund me just don't bring it here.

Also you have to pay an annual fee. the fee of £170 is 4% of that. If you cant afford the £170 you have no chance. The reason your parents don't wanna pay the first bit.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Anonymous1502
I know someone who goes to holland park and the maths and science teachers are not that good and there are quite a lot of badly behaved students. The teaching is okay, and they offer support but i dont think its a school for me, as there is limited extra curriculum for sixth formers and no societies, and this year they sent no students to oxbridge.

Are you a really gifted student but your parents are poor? If so you should try for it, it would be a big advantage to get a privileged education, even better if you get the to waive the £54,000 fee.
A gifted student will do well anywhere. Someone who believes they're better than state education will quickly learn what people really think of that attitude once they leave cushioned education and enter the real world.
You don't need to go to the BEST school to do great at A levels... a good school on the other hand can be helpful :h:
Reply 32
If you are a gifted student, you should be able to thrive anywhere, you don't need to go to a private sixth form to get 4A/A* at A2. People get those grades at my college (granted, it's in the top 1% in the UK) and I got ABBB at AS without doing too much work (got A*AA prediction for this year) so you can do it anywhere
Reply 33
Original post by asinghj
tbh you are comparing water with oil, they dont mix. GCSEs are far easier than A Levels, also at A Levels you mature and focus more on studies than at GCSEs.

While I agree teachers play an important role, its more about if you enjoy a subject or not. My last years bio teacher was really good, but I didn't like biology, so I dropped it.

Also you are comparing a STEM subject with English...

1 - Yes A-levels are harder. But in one subject I improved and in the other I didn't. This was because of my teachers - I know cause I was there lol.

2. I'm comparing a STEM subject with English but I started off at the same level on both of them and I enjoyed STEM subjects as much as arts. Again, the only thing that changed was the teacher.

I have always enjoyed sciences, arts and humanities. Teaching was what made the difference in how motivated and successful I was.
You can get great grades anywhere if you put the work in. Go somewhere else?
1 - Yes A-levels are harder. But in one subject I improved and in the other I didn't. This was because of my teachers - I know cause I was there lol.

2. I'm comparing a STEM subject with English but I started off at the same level on both of them and I enjoyed STEM subjects as much as arts. Again, the only thing that changed was the teacher.

I have always enjoyed sciences, arts and humanities. Teaching was what made the difference in how motivated and successful I was.

As i said, I agree that teachers are important, but you need to be able to work hard without being spoon fed by your teachers.

If you can't find motivation to do something then no one can motivate you, be it a teacher or parent.

BTW, in biology you didn't have to write all the essays and analyse peoms or whatever
Reply 36
Original post by asinghj
As i said, I agree that teachers are important, but you need to be able to work hard without being spoon fed by your teachers.

If you can't find motivation to do something then no one can motivate you, be it a teacher or parent.

BTW, in biology you didn't have to write all the essays and analyse peoms or whatever

Lmao wth are you talking about I know I didn't have to write essays and analyse poems, so what?
So harsh and also exaggerated. The teacher and quality of teaching makes all the difference. For GCSE Biology and English I got A and A. Both good teachers. At A-level I got D and A*, respectively. The A* also included full marks in the final exam. This was because my Biology teacher was awful but my English teacher was incredible.

It's important that a college or school motivates you. It doesn't mean they're holding your hand, it means they're doing their job and, in turn, it allows you to self-motivate and to succeed. Between the ages of 16 and 18, you're a child - if you are at a school which doesn't motivate you and you fall down because of it, that doesn't make you a failure at all and you can still go far in the right environment.

The same goes for when you are an adult and you work - if you have a terrible boss who doesn't motivate the team or motivate you, you cannot be blamed for not doing as well as you would at a better company, with a better boss.

I disagree. The quality of a teacher can be a factor in your education, and more so for arts subjects than sciences, but ultimately it's still a factor.
You're quoting anecdotal evidence at me, which is fine, but I can respond with my own. In my Maths A-level, I recieved no support for D2 and for a big portion of the year they forced me to also study S1 because they refused to recognise the fact I wasn't going to sit the S1 exam. I had to attend S1 lessons my whole year and study D2 quietly in the corner. I still got an A in the exam. In Media, my teacher was mostly non-existent, once leaving me to teach the class as he was busy. I remember getting a total of 3 pieces of work back off of him. Still got an A.

I'm not making my point all based on anecdotes. Yes, my point is mildly exaggerated but I'm trying to make the case to the OP that their life will not be over unless they get into x school. The work metaphor holds to an extent, but a terrible boss doesn't necessarily mean your work will be terrible, you're still able to do the work, you probably just enjoy it less. Not the end of the world if you enjoy A-levels a little less, you know?
Original post by JMF1
Why are you complaining on TSR? Go get a part time job. Im also sure that if you live in the area radius they accept people from you can afford it (Main London). Im from a low income area and people who beg for money annoy me, we are all students and cant fund your dreams that's up to you. Try a go fund me just don't bring it here.

Also you have to pay an annual fee. the fee of £170 is 4% of that. If you cant afford the £170 you have no chance. The reason your parents don't wanna pay the first bit.

FYI, 15 year olds cant work and i ahve to go to school and who would offer me a job exactly. I have to focus on studying to get into a good sixth from not doing some job.And im asking for advice of what i should do! So how dare you be so rude,you swine.
Original post by asinghj

I want a good teacher who can teach me and its not me trying to self-teach myself the whole syllabus because they're failing to control the class and seem unqualified and have no bloody idea what they're talking about. I have the motivation all i need is a decent teacher and not be stuck like last year with 4 math teachers who could not teach any maths causing the whole class to not do well, in their assessment because no matter how motivated you are if there is no one to teach and explain the material in the first place then good luck revising because there is no notes or anythign to revise from if you have a bad teacher, your pretty much condemned with failure.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending