The Student Room Group

Half of all Australians want to ban Muslim immigration

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Not wishing to appear cynical, but that event was organised and attended by Ahmadiyya Muslims (whose version of Islam is essentially more peaceful, possibly because it was founded in the 19th century rather than the 7th) - who are persecuted as heretics and blasphemers by both Sunni and Shia, who do not even consider them to be Muslims at all. In fact, it's probably the only thing that they agree on.

Pop over to TSR ISOC and ask them about the Ahmadiyya.
Original post by QE2
Not wishing to appear cynical, but that event was organised and attended by Ahmadiyya Muslims (whose version of Islam is essentially more peaceful, possibly because it was founded in the 19th century rather than the 7th) - who are persecuted as heretics and blasphemers by both Sunni and Shia, who do not even consider them to be Muslims at all. In fact, it's probably the only thing that they agree on.

Pop over to TSR ISOC and ask them about the Ahmadiyya.

Very cynical indeed.

Pop over to the TSR ISOC and ask them about ISIS as well.

It's a shame sectarianism is quite prevelant in that thread, but it's interesting to see committed adversaries of all things Islam engaging in red-herrings.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 62
Original post by Dima-Blackburn
Ah but you see, anti-Muslim bigotry and discrimination on religious grounds is okay in the age of the alt-right; after all, the finest secularists amongst us loudly proclaim "Islam is not a race, Muslims are like Nazis hurr durr" so obviously we should ban them from coming anywhere near us! :rolleyes:
If you say that Muslims are like Nazis one more time, I'll have to report you. That's racist.
Reply 63
Original post by KimKallstrom
I know this is a bit of a detour from the point you were making there but it does highlight a key issue with regards to the terrorism issue.

The recruiters (super pious) often prey upon down and outs/low-end cons and even middle-class, privately-educated party boys from nominally Muslim backgrounds and guilt trip them about how they're degenerates with their sinful western life styles etc. They convince them that they can redeem themselves if they opt for Jihad. This is a very very common go-to method for these guys. This is why when we read about the backgrounds of terrorists like the Nice trucker, the Paris attacks etc it often transpires that they spent most of their lives doing not very Muslim things and then they got turned. It's all very predatory and a tried and tested formula unfortunately.
Oh, don't say that. It spoils the cool "nothing to do with Islam" story.
Reply 64
Oh I see, you've been battling with the monsters (not Nazis!) for so long, it's become a hobby that defines your very being now!
Oh FFS! You're calling Muslims monsters now! That's offensive.
Original post by KimKallstrom
I know this is a bit of a detour from the point you were making there but it does highlight a key issue with regards to the terrorism issue.

The recruiters (super pious) often prey upon down and outs/low-end cons and even middle-class, privately-educated party boys from nominally Muslim backgrounds and guilt trip them about how they're degenerates with their sinful western life styles etc. They convince them that they can redeem themselves if they opt for Jihad. This is a very very common go-to method for these guys. This is why when we read about the backgrounds of terrorists like the Nice trucker, the Paris attacks etc it often transpires that they spent most of their lives doing not very Muslim things and then they got turned. It's all very predatory and a tried and tested formula unfortunately.

Recruiters are super pious? Said who?

Yes, it's a shame these preachers prey on already confused individuals with no rigid sense of identity or actual engagement with Islam.
Original post by QE2
If you say that Muslims are like Nazis one more time, I'll have to report you. That's racist.

Psychological projection of the most absurd kind!
Reply 67
Very cynical indeed.

Pop over to the TSR ISOC and ask them about ISIS as well.

It's a shame sectarianism is quite prevelant in that thread, but it's interesting to see committed adversaries of all things Islam engaging in red-herrings.
I think the poster's disingenuousness trumps my red herring. The poster linked to a video saying "look at all these Muslims protesting against ISIS", when 99% of True Muslims™ would not even consider them Muslims. They may as well point to a video of Christians and say "look". Actually, that is a poor comparison. Many Muslims consider Christians to be "people of the book, and as such may receive some recognition and respect. Ahmadiyya are condemned as munafiq, even worse that kaffir.

You will find many on ISOC who condemn ISIS's methods, but few (if any) who condemn their motives and justifications.
Original post by Josb
Bacon test.

I guess vegetarians and vegans are also banned then
Reply 69
Psychological projection of the most absurd kind!
What is? You trying to defend your statement by implying that I am projecting? Very possibly.
Reply 70
Original post by Another
Why the hell not!
May as well throw in fans of R&B and growm men riding scooters while we're at it.
Oh, and the people who write commercial radio ads.
Original post by AshEntropy
Sample Size: 1000

:colonhash:

out of 24,095,200 people :curious:

Original post by Josb
This is how statistics work.

yea but you said "all" in the title

Misleading but ok.

Besides that I'm surprised it's not a higher percentage considering this is Australia.
Original post by QE2
I think the poster's disingenuousness trumps my red herring. The poster linked to a video saying "look at all these Muslims protesting against ISIS", when 99% of True Muslims™ would not even consider them Muslims. They may as well point to a video of Christians and say "look". Actually, that is a poor comparison. Many Muslims consider Christians to be "people of the book, and as such may receive some recognition and respect. Ahmadiyya are condemned as munafiq, even worse that kaffir.

Not so fast. Unlike Christians, Ahmadiyya identify as Muslims; there's no disingenuity on the poster's part. And why would True Muslims™ give Christians some respect and recognition? According to you, shouldn't they be killing Christians wherever they find them?

You will find many on ISOC who condemn ISIS's methods, but few (if any) who condemn their motives and justifications.

Often, the ideologies we find to be unpleasant tend to be those that employ some extremist or unorthodox methods to implement some commonly agreed upon goals; their goals can nevertheless still be noble (however misguided they may be).
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by QE2
What is? You trying to defend your statement by implying that I am projecting? Very possibly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychological_projection
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Do you know how they do this out of interest? Surely anyone could pretend to be a Muslim to gain access?

Lolled.

Asalami lakeum. In the name of Allah, let us in.
Original post by Josb
This is how statistics work.

Original post by KingBradly
Yes, that is how stats work.

Original post by The Epicurean
Medical studies operate on similar sized samples, and these studies help shape medical treatments for the whole worlds population. There are arguments to be made against these statistics, but this is not the argument. This just shows a lack of understanding of basic statistics.

Looking at this:
http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

It seems that sample size was far too small any way?
Reply 76
Original post by The_Internet
Looking at this:
http://www.surveysystem.com/sscalc.htm

It seems that sample size was far too small any way?
No, the sample size is just right for a 95% level of confidence and a margin of error of 3 Typical resilts criteria).
See my earlier post where included a screenshot from that very website.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4329542&p=67686550&page=2#post67686550
Original post by QE2
No, the sample size is just right for a 95% level of confidence and a margin of error of 3 Typical resilts criteria).
See my earlier post where included a screenshot from that very website.
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4329542&p=67686550&page=2#post67686550

Also, people are trying to make comparisons to the total population of Australia. This sample was based on the voting population, so we should be discussing the total number of Australians 18+ who are eligible for voting. The government website lists the total Australian population eligible for voting in 2016 was 16.5 million

http://www.aec.gov.au/Enrolling_to_vote/Enrolment_stats/
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Another

How about we just get them to draw a picture of old moe?If they refuse then they are muslim simple.
Reply 79
Original post by Robby2312
How about we just get them to draw a picture of old moe?If they refuse then they are muslim simple.

The draw Mohammed test is a valid alternative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending