The Student Room Group

What A-levels should I take

I'm currently year 11 but am looking to eventually study law at Cambridge I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on what A-levels to take?
On there website it says A*AA with no specific subject requirements. However if it was me I would probably choose two essay based subjects like English and History. I would then go for a language or if your sixth form offers it a subject like law or politics and finish with a subject I enjoyed at GCSE's :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Aaron Bernbaum
On there website it says A*AA with no specific subject requirements. However if it was me I would probably choose two essay based subjects like English and History. I would then go for a language or if your sixth form offers it a subject like law or politics and finish with a subject I enjoyed at GCSE's :smile:

Thanks I was thinking about English and History but don't study a language and through my research thus far I've discovered that law is not a desirable A-level even for law so am considering Maths, Economics, Politics and a few others for my other options thanks for your help.
Original post by H.Alderman
I'm currently year 11 but am looking to eventually study law at Cambridge I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice on what A-levels to take?

Depends on whether your college offers you 3 or 4 subjects.

I'd pick History, English and Maths, personally.
Reply 4
Original post by GradeA*UnderA
Depends on whether your college offers you 3 or 4 subjects.

I'd pick History, English and Maths, personally.

Thanks I've been considering those and I will probably do 1 to as only and 3 others to A2
Reply 5

Why don't you take the most blatantly obvious options that relate to a Law degree?

English
History
Government & Politics OR Economics
Reply 6
Original post by Aklaol
Why don't you take the most blatantly obvious options that relate to a Law degree?

English
History
Government & Politics OR Economics

Yeah those are what I'm thinking of was just askinh if anyone else had any other ideas
Reply 7
Yeah those are what I'm thinking of was just askinh if anyone else had any other ideas

I mean I appreciate that, but is there honestly anything else you could take? It's extremely obvious.... You'd obviously be doing essay based subjects or languages for a Law degree, just like you'd be doing mathematical subjects for a Physics degree.

According to "Which? University", the three most common subjects studied by Cambridge Law Students are Maths, History, and English Literature. They are by no means required though and you should really be studying A-levels that you can get a good grade in whilst also enjoying them.
Reply 9
Original post by DarkEnergy
According to "Which? University", the three most common subjects studied by Cambridge Law Students are Maths, History, and English Literature. They are by no means required though and you should really be studying A-levels that you can get a good grade in whilst also enjoying them.

Thankyou.
Thankyou.

You're welcome! Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest