The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

2017 Uni of Bristol applicants mega-thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mahmzo
How did you get an Unconditional??? Can anyone with an amazing PS get one

Because I already had the grades that I needed. If you've already sat your A Levels and have the results, and have met all the requirements that they want, then your offer would be unconditional.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 61
Original post by mahmzo
How did you get an Unconditional??? Can anyone with an amazing PS get one

No. the "OU course (also in Law) and scored 83% over 120 credits" would do it. That's a first year of university study.
Reply 62
Original post by dontcallmesammy
I have an unconditional offer for Law starting in 2017 (deferred by year, applied last year).My GCSEs, back in 2007/8 were A*,5 As, 4 Bs, 2 Cs. My A Levels were terrible. I got 2 Ds. There were reasons, but I don't go into that.

What I did was turn it around. I joined the RAF and gained experience with skills that are transferable to Law. I started an OU course (also in Law) and scored 83% over 120 credits. I scored 32/42 in the LNAT, worked hard on my personal statement, and went to a "mature student" interview.

When I started my UCAS application last year, I was aiming for USW and UWE. I added Swansea and Bristol to the application because I had spaces to fill; I wasn't actually expecting to get offers from either (of course I wanted them, though!) so was very surprised when I got my offers from both.

Bristol have been amazing already, and I'm very excited to start there (I'm repeating Year One of my LLB, but happy to do so)
oh wow ! Well done how did you find the lnat? And how did you prepare taking mines soon
Reply 63
Because I already had the grades that I needed. If you've already sat your A Levels and have the results, and have met all the requirements that they want, then your offer would be unconditional.
yeah I would imagine that getting an unconditional offer would but due to what you have mentioned. I have heard people getting them for outstanding work experience also!
Reply 64
Original post by Pndomo
yeah I would imagine that getting an unconditional offer would but due to what you have mentioned. I have heard people getting them for outstanding work experience also!

Maybe at Birmingham, unlikely at Bristol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 65
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile
oh okay.
Reply 66
Original post by jneill

Posted from TSR Mobile

Someone fron my school got an unconditional ar Durham last year. He ended up getting ACD and is now doine Economics at Durham.
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 67
Original post by mahmzo
Someone fron my school got an unconditional ar Durham last year. He ended up getting ACD and is now doine Economics at Durham.
Posted from TSR Mobile

More fool them (both).

There's a few universities doing this now. But pre-result unconditionals are a marketing trick that primarily benefits the university, not the student.
I didn't find the LNAT too daunting, but I'm older than the average person who takes it, and my RAF job utilises a lot of the skills that the LNAT tests for. I'd suggest keeping up to date on current affairs and time yourself writing structured essays. And - of course - really read the question. Good luck! X
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 69
Original post by Wisefire
Could a similar situation possibly result for an Access student? If Durham's or Bristol's offer for a degree is 30 Distinctions or 36 Distinctions and the student gets 27 Distinctions or 33 Distinctions, could it be said that entry to such a degree despite that sort of a situation has happened for Access students in the past?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have no idea. Sorry.

But that's not what we are taking about here - this candidate received an unconditional offer so it didn't matter what they ended up actually getting, the university would still have to take them.
Reply 70
I didn't find the LNAT too daunting, but I'm older than the acerage person who takes it, and my RAF job utilises a lot of the skills that the LNAT tests for. I'd suggest keeping up to date on current affairs and time yourself writing structured essays. And - of course - really read the question. Good luck! X
thanks! And congratulations also all the best x
Hi,

I visited Bristol September 2016 (I'm currently on a gap year) and loved the place - everything about it. However, I got ABB for my A levels, and the entry requirement is AAB :/ Is there still a possibilty that I will be accepted for the course (Zoology)? Especially if its my firm choice, and I write a good personal statement?
Original post by Jackson2
Hi,

I visited Bristol September 2016 (I'm currently on a gap year) and loved the place - everything about it. However, I got ABB for my A levels, and the entry requirement is AAB :/ Is there still a possibilty that I will be accepted for the course (Zoology)? Especially if its my firm choice, and I write a good personal statement?

With achieved grades, no.
Course Applying: History
AS Subjects: History, Economics, Geography, English Literature
A2 Subjects: Geography, Economics, History, Welsh Baccalaureate
GCSE grades: 6A*6A
AS grades: AABC
Predicted A2: A*AA + Welsh Bacc at A*
Super-curriculars: University study days funded by the Sutton Trust, lectures, lots of wider reading, volunteer at a museum, work experience in London by a charity
My school gets the contextual offer of AAB.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
With achieved grades, no.

Oh ok - thanks for saying. I'll probably retake a module then to take it up to an A then :smile:. I don't suppose you know how to put in on a UCAS application that I'm goingto retake a module (its confusing me a bit, sorry)

Also, was there any of the offered accommodation places that you would recommend?
Original post by Jackson2
Oh ok - thanks for saying. I'll probably retake a module then to take it up to an A then :smile:. I don't suppose you know how to put in on a UCAS application that I'm goingto retake a module (its confusing me a bit, sorry)

Also, was there any of the offered accommodation places that you would recommend?

If you went to a private school: Stoke Bishop

If you went to a state school: City Centre (The nice ones only)

Generally if it looks good/bad then that's the case.
Just got an offer from Bristol which is pretty exciting, anyone else get any offers yet??
Reply 77
Original post by heffalumpys
Just got an offer from Bristol which is pretty exciting, anyone else get any offers yet??

How did you get an offer so early??? Ours dont get sent until november. What course did you apply for???
Don't panic.

All Unis make offers as applications roll-in, and they will continue to make offers until March/April next year.
They do not 'run out of offers' and all applications to UCAS before the Jan deadline must get 'equal consideration', so actually there are no advantages in applying early.

Most people make their applications between half-term and Christmas - so if yours is sent then, that is totally fine.
Original post by mahmzo
How did you get an offer so early??? Ours dont get sent until november. What course did you apply for???

inb4 oxbridge applicant

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending