The Student Room Group

I need help with my Alevel History Coursework.

I've just started my Alevel history coursework and my question is "how far can Hitler be blamed for the starting of World war 2?" Anyone got any ideas where i can get good sources to argue both sides??
Original post by rhyscedwards2
I've just started my Alevel history coursework and my question is "how far can Hitler be blamed for the starting of World war 2?" Anyone got any ideas where i can get good sources to argue both sides??

Have a look at AJP Taylor.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2

As @ageshallnot has said.

The answer to the actual coursework question is that the inept European leaders at the time caused it. Good ol' Neville and Benito.
Original post by jamestg
As @ageshallnot has said.

The answer to the actual coursework question is that the inept European leaders at the time caused it. Good ol' Neville and Benito.

In two sentences why did they cause it and not Hitler?
Reply 4
Original post by 999tigger
In two sentences why did they cause it and not Hitler?

The answer is too complex for two sentences, so I'll just list reasons why...

- LoN didn't even have America partaking
- there was no united foreign and military policy with the LoN
- Anglo-German Naval Agreement in 1935
- lack of action from the Italian invasion of Abyssinia in 1935
- talks of an Anglo-German alliance (yes the Nazis could have been on the same side as us)
- no intervention in 1936 with reoccupation of the Rhineland
- no intervention during Anschluss or when they took the Sudetenland
- no intervention in the 1939 Czechoslovakia invasion
- Non-Agression pact between Germany and USSR which literally carved up Poland just days before WW2 began
- disunity among the nations, with Mussolini being too indecisive
- USA declaring it would not go to war in Europe
Original post by jamestg
The answer is too complex for two sentences, so I'll just list reasons why...

- LoN didn't even have America partaking
- there was no united foreign and military policy with the LoN
- Anglo-German Naval Agreement in 1935
- lack of action from the Italian invasion of Abyssinia in 1935
- talks of an Anglo-German alliance (yes the Nazis could have been on the same side as us)
- no intervention in 1936 with reoccupation of the Rhineland
- no intervention during Anschluss or when they took the Sudetenland
- no intervention in the 1939 Czechoslovakia invasion
- Non-Agression pact between Germany and USSR which literally carved up Poland just days before WW2 began
- disunity among the nations, with Mussolini being too indecisive
- USA declaring it would not go to war in Europe

Think we have different ideas of caused.
Imo Hitler was alawats going to do it eventually.
Reply 6

He was always wanting to expand, but I don't think he cared about the way it was carried out. War, even for fanatics, is a last option because of the strain on resources. There is a bit of me that likes to think Hitler thought he would get pretty much the whole of Spain, Central and Eastern Europe through negotiations with fellow Fascist countries and appeasement with the rest.

Despite all the background issues and feeble diplomacy, this is ultimately true.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
Despite all the background issues and feeble diplomacy, this is ultimately true.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think its the difference between caused and prevented. I was just interested by the claims Chamberlain or Mussolini caused it rather than factors that didnt help. I miss History sometimes wih I'd taken it at Uni. World War II is an amazing period.
Guys, the question was about sources. Not GCSE reasoning.
I would start with propaganda for both sides of the argument. Or maybe start with a textbook, see what sources they've used and find out if there are similar ones. Find out if there is a German equivalent of Punch!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending