The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LEuphoria
Oh that's cool! English Lit is definitely the subject I'm most iffy about - I'm like you at the moment. It's one of my better subjects, but I don't enjoy it that much. I was toying with the idea of doing something like physics to go with the maths, but my priority is to do what I'm best at, and I'm confident that I could get a good grade in English. I would love to do German, but my school doesn't do the qualification at GCSE or A Level.

I have considered law- that's what I set out do with my GCSEs in the first place! However, I did a week of work experience at a law firm this summer, and I found all the detailed, day-to-day stuff horrendously boring, although the commercial law was quite interesting. It's a subject I can't really get excited by, and I want to do something I really enjoy at degree level (but hopefully still get a career with?!). Is law something you're considering?

Yeah, I suppose they are still a long way away. Thanks, a good luck with yours too! You'll be fantastic.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Im becoming more and more attracted to english, but my older sisters who have both done it are making me wary.
Im planning to apply for law work experience for next summer to give me a taste, but i really want to do a degree called PPE at uni so i may do a law conversion.
Original post by e2014
Ah and my first English 'mock' (in classroom exam but nonetheless made me very happy) I was apparently 4 marks off a grade 9! I'm so happy.

That's exactly the same with me, I was so happy with my mark because English use to be my worst subject. It makes me think I can get that 9 if i work hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 882
Original post by Simonexoxo
That's exactly the same with me, I was so happy with my mark because English use to be my worst subject. It makes me think I can get that 9 if i work hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done. :biggrin: I have a mock assessment on poetry only and I've just realised that the unseen isn't too bad as it's short poems that are usually easy to understand.
Original post by JTran38
Well done. :biggrin: I have a mock assessment on poetry only and I've just realised that the unseen isn't too bad as it's short poems that are usually easy to understand.

What is this unseen poetry? My teacher has mentioned it, but not said what it is.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ShikaMekiFuka
I am ShikaMekiFuka (I know weird username ,long story )
I am in year 11 and these are the subjects I am taking.
English literature:frown:I love reading plays and books but I am terrible at essays especially analysing them)
English language:frown:meh still a bottom C student not my favourite since we have to analyse boring stuff like articles and newspaper)
Maths: (I like it but I struggle with it I only find some topics interesting which mostly is algebra but everything else of maths is pure boredom especially trigonometry probability and ratios)
Health and social:frown:easy subject to get an A)
Geography;(I am a C B student but I'm getting worse since it never was my priority)
French:frown:hate it never intended to chose it but I am good at listening and reading still a C)
Science:frown:I am a C B student I really like science somehow I lost my revision notes for year 10 exam so I'm screwed since I have to do it this year overall science has become very boring because we learn stuff I'm not really a fan of)
Art:frown: I chose textiles but they put me in art I am very bad at art but aim for a b instead of a c)
I think I forgot a subject but oh well my predictions of gcse are very low somehow everyone's predictions have gone up except mine :frown:
My goals are 5A* 3A and Bs wish me luck I think I over exaggerated with the goals but Yolo

Hi! My tip would be revise a few hours a week in the subjects you are not so keen on first ad then move to the ones you are good at. You can start at an hour a week and build up if a few hours is too daunting :smile: . What exam board are you with for science?
Original post by pinkypaz123
Hi! My tip would be revise a few hours a week in the subjects you are not so keen on first ad then move to the ones you are good at. You can start at an hour a week and build up if a few hours is too daunting :smile: . What exam board are you with for science?
My exam board is AQA
Reply 886
What is this unseen poetry? My teacher has mentioned it, but not said what it is.
Posted from TSR Mobile

That's from what I know and I have seen.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's poetry that you haven't seen, if you haven't guessed already :P

It's on the second paper, and there's two questions, a 24 marker and an 8 marker.

The 24 marker will be writing an essay question about a poem, it could be something like "how does this poem present ideas about being in love" or "how does this poem present ideas about memories" etc. It's pretty similar to the seen poetry 30 marker. However, you are not expected to know any context (thus the 6 less marks), although you can link it back to the title, and maybe the author if you recognise them. They are generally shorter, less complex, and have a more blunt meaning.

For the 8 marker, you are given a second poem, of a similar theme, and you're asked to compare these two. This may be a question like "what are the similarities and differences between the methods the speakers use to present feelings about watching a child grow up" etc. This again, won't be too complex, and will be quite short.
Original post by _gcx
It's poetry that you haven't seen, if you haven't guessed already :P

It's on the second paper, and there's two questions, a 24 marker and an 8 marker.

The 24 marker will be writing an essay question about a poem, it could be something like "how does this poem present ideas about being in love" or "how does this poem present ideas about memories" etc. It's pretty similar to the seen poetry 30 marker. However, you are not expected to know any context (thus the 6 less marks), although you can link it back to the title, and maybe the author if you recognise them. They are generally shorter, less complex, and have a more blunt meaning.

For the 8 marker, you are given a second poem, of a similar theme, and you're asked to compare these two. This may be a question like "what are the similarities and differences between the methods the speakers use to present feelings about watching a child grow up" etc. This again, won't be too complex, and will be quite short.

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey I was wondering, does getting an English Baccalaureate mean anything or is it just for the school?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by patriciaanne
Hey I was wondering, does getting an English Baccalaureate mean anything or is it just for the school?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's mainly a metric that's used to compare academic performance from school to school, it doesn't mean much to individual students.
Hi,

Is anyone doing AQA Further Maths? I have to self learn it from a text book, :/
If you are taking FM,then how are you finding it and what resources do you use other than the text book? Also, any tips?
Original post by bluepearl7
Hi,

Is anyone doing AQA Further Maths? I have to self learn it from a text book, :/
If you are taking FM,then how are you finding it and what resources do you use other than the text book? Also, any tips?

Not AQA FM, but our set are doing OCR FSMQ which I would guess would have some crossover. We haven't started it yet, and won't until after mocks (so December) but our teacher says that it isn't too bad so we should all be able to get a B minimum (all our set got at least an A in statistics last year).
For tips, I would say make sure you review the topics regularly, and also practise the questions until you understand why something is the answer, rather than until you just get the right answer. Understanding why is really helpful for applying the maths in different situations, as you will have to do in fm.
Has anyone done any work experience?
Original post by haseeb798

I did one week with British Red Cross and also another week with a hospital. I am going to start volunteering in a care home soon as well.
Original post by bluepearl7
I did one week with British Red Cross and also another week with a hospital. I am going to start volunteering in a care home soon as well.

I thought you aren't allowed to do work experience in a hospital.

In year 10 we all had a week where we had to do some sort of work experience. I did a week in an accountant's office which was great fun (and really short hours because all the people in there had small children to either drop off or pick up and I couldn't be there alone lol).
I also volunteer for a few hours a week working with children (aged between 0 and 11-->Much prefer working with the tiny babies who don't answer back or run off lol), and in the autumn term I do work with children in an amateur dramatics group before their show (used to be involved in the show, but it's the week before mocks so I can't this year).
I would probably count all of this as work experience, even if it isn't the average job lol as it gives you many skills which you would gain from a job equally, but with more enjoyment from me :smile:
I thought you aren't allowed to do work experience in a hospital.

You can do a clinical placement at a hospital when you are 16 or a non-clinical one if your under 16
I know I say this pretty much every time I come here, but...

TAKE ME BACK TO THE GOOD DAYS!!!
Original post by jamestg
I know I say this pretty much every time I come here, but...

TAKE ME BACK TO THE GOOD DAYS!!!

I just want to go back to primary school golden time.

Latest