The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sapphire-Flame
Photos would also be great if anybody has them :smile:
(Went to the open day but only looked around a few - and it is also nice to see rooms/kitchens that are lived in!)

What ones did you see? I can't really remember what I saw in September :s-smilie: lol x
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Reply 21
Anyone knows anything about loughborough college accommodation such as the Gables?!
Reply 22
does anyone know whether they "favour" undergraduate students in their accommodation choices rather than art foundation? I'll be an art foundation student next year and I will need accommodation and I don't wanna be stuck in a position where I have to commute everyday as it'll be like a 2 hour train journey :/.
Reply 23
Original post by Phobia27
William Morris is awesome :sexface: It's pretty much the perfect distance from everything, town is easily walkable, and so is the library/Wolfson, and os the closest hall to the union. Very social hall and amazing prices. I've been in the en suite this year which has been good, but overall I would recommend the WHBs, much cheaper and for some bizarre reason people with WHB get weekly cleaners to clean their kitchens, toilets and showers whilst ensuite do not. :dontknow:

When you applied for the accommodation was William Morris your first choice or did you get assigned that because no others were available? Did you go online and apply straight away when the accommodation opened and was it hectic? Can you get an en-suite at WM? I'm not sure whether to go for Bakewell, Hazelrigg or WM? Sorry for all the questions!
Reply 24
i really like the look of rigg-rut :smile: any one know anytrhing about it? i wanna have self catered ensuite and really sociable. am i picking a good hall for social life!?
Original post by jbartley3
i really like the look of rigg-rut :smile: any one know anytrhing about it? i wanna have self catered ensuite and really sociable. am i picking a good hall for social life!?

I know a couple of people in rigg-rut and they love it. It seems to be fairly sociable from what I've seen. The downside is the price of an en-suite because they're newly refurbished. I think it's about £4500 off the top of my head.
Reply 26
Original post by Wednesday Bass
I know a couple of people in rigg-rut and they love it. It seems to be fairly sociable from what I've seen. The downside is the price of an en-suite because they're newly refurbished. I think it's about £4500 off the top of my head.

Which halls are you living in, and how are you finding it there? Is it hard to get the accommodation that you want online when it opens? Also do you know when we can start to apply?
Reply 27
Original post by Whistle
Which halls are you living in, and how are you finding it there? Is it hard to get the accommodation that you want online when it opens? Also do you know when we can start to apply?

it says that we should be getting an email at the beginning of may and then conditional offer students can pick accommodation at the beginning of june :smile:
Original post by Whistle

I'm in one of the shared rooms in Butler Court. It's okay, but a bit of a pain sharing a room - the price is okay though. I know people in Butler this year who are staying next year in shared rooms, so it's just personal preference whether you can share a room. I got offered a room in Butler because the only self catered rooms they had were in Telford and (ironically) a shared room in Butler, so I put preferences down and then got offered this and there was nothing else available (I was after self-catered en-suite).
Reply 29
Original post by Whistle
When you applied for the accommodation was William Morris your first choice or did you get assigned that because no others were available? Did you go online and apply straight away when the accommodation opened and was it hectic? Can you get an en-suite at WM? I'm not sure whether to go for Bakewell, Hazelrigg or WM? Sorry for all the questions!

William Morris was my first choice, you have to pretty quick on the day the accommodation thing opens as most Bill Mo rooms go within the first few hours (Yep that popular :sexface:) Yep did it straight away on the morning the accommodation open, but nah it wasn't hectic, I simply woke up at 8am on that day and waited for it to open, and I had a room by 8.30am. If you do leave it till lunchtime though it gets more and more hectic, so just do what I did and get up nice and early :smile:

Yep you can get en-suites at Bill Mo, I've been in one this year but as I said I actually recommend the WHB, because they are way way cheaper, and you get cleaners every week there. Our kitchen is a mess, especially the hobs and oven! Plus it really isn't bad sharing, my mates in the 5 bed flat at Bill Mo have two showers, two toilets all in separate rooms so there is never any waiting for the shower/toilet. Seriously you would appreciate the extra £700 to spend!

Obviously might be biased but I would say Bill Mo all the way! Bakewell and Hazelrigg are really nice halls but I believe are lacking socially compared to Bill Mo (just what I heard from others living there) and the locations are a bit rubbish, close to Wolfson and library but really far from everything else, like union and town. Bill Mo is the closest hall to the union and town is easily walkable, just went on a random McDonalds trip today, 15 mins there walking! Plus Bakewell and Hazelrigg are both £4500 for ensuite I think, whilst Bill Mo for what I believe is better socially, better location, and same sized rooms and ensuite is £4100. (But like I said, go WHB in Bill Mo, honestly!!)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 30
Any opinions on telford? :smile:
Reply 31
William Morris was my first choice, you have to pretty quick on the day the accommodation thing opens as most Bill Mo rooms go within the first few hours (Yep that popular :sexface:) Yep did it straight away on the morning the accommodation open, but nah it wasn't hectic, I simply woke up at 8am on that day and waited for it to open, and I had a room by 8.30am. If you do leave it till lunchtime though it gets more and more hectic, so just do what I did and get up nice and early :smile:

Yep you can get en-suites at Bill Mo, I've been in one this year but as I said I actually recommend the WHB, because they are way way cheaper, and you get cleaners every week there. Our kitchen is a mess, especially the hobs and oven! Plus it really isn't bad sharing, my mates in the 5 bed flat at Bill Mo have two showers, two toilets all in separate rooms so there is never any waiting for the shower/toilet. Seriously you would appreciate the extra £700 to spend!

Obviously might be biased but I would say Bill Mo all the way! Bakewell and Hazelrigg are really nice halls but I believe are lacking socially compared to Bill Mo (just what I heard from others living there) and the locations are a bit rubbish, close to Wolfson and library but really far from everything else, like union and town. Bill Mo is the closest hall to the union and town is easily walkable, just went on a random McDonalds trip today, 15 mins there walking! Plus Bakewell and Hazelrigg are both £4500 for ensuite I think, whilst Bill Mo for what I believe is better socially, better location, and same sized rooms and ensuite is £4100. (But like I said, go WHB in Bill Mo, honestly!!)

Thanks for all the info, very useful!
Does anybody have an indication of when the 2011-2012 fees will appear? There is the 2010-2011 ones and prices for returners that I can see so I have an estimate, I'm just getting ahead of myself I guess lol.

Also, BillMo doesn't have a WHB option on the 2010-2011 fees, does that mean standard has a WHB? Also, is there much difference in the flat rooms of 5/6/7 etc or does it not really matter? x

Another thing, on the website it says that: HALLNET WiFi is available in the Reception area. Does this mean that you can't get onto the internet when you are in your rooms/flat? Is this a stupid question? Lol.
(edited 13 years ago)

I've actually been to Bakewell a few times and went out with them on Friday with some friends there and actually they've definitely not lacking socially. Can't speak for Rigg-Rutt though.

I agree Bill Mo is great and overall I think if you have all the options available then i'd pick Bill Mo, but on the flip side it is far (well, further..) away from everyone else in the village etc if you've got friends over there so quite a trek to meet up with people (unless you make them walk to you).
Original post by Rachel_Leah
Does anybody have an indication of when the 2011-2012 fees will appear? There is the 2010-2011 ones and prices for returners that I can see so I have an estimate, I'm just getting ahead of myself I guess lol.

Also, BillMo doesn't have a WHB option on the 2010-2011 fees, does that mean standard has a WHB? Also, is there much difference in the flat rooms of 5/6/7 etc or does it not really matter? x

Another thing, on the website it says that: HALLNET WiFi is available in the Reception area. Does this mean that you can't get onto the internet when you are in your rooms/flat? Is this a stupid question? Lol.

HALLNET is wifi, we have internet everywhere but if you're unlucky certain rooms in halls can only connect to the internet via cable (mine included, but they're trying to make this so that every hall has wifi and might even be finished doing that by the time you're here - the cable is provided though).

I wouldnt've thought there's much of a difference between the prices returners and freshers pay except the subs and the extra charge for the room for freshers week.

If billmo doesn't haev a WHB option then perhaps their standard rooms don't have sinks in the room? Personally i'd go for a flat with more people in as they seem more social but if you prefer less noise then you'd be good choosing the one with fewer in to try and lower the odds of having a noisy flat.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 35
I remember a year ago being so stressed as to which hall to pick- everyone is going to bombard you with information as to why their hall is best. In truth, wherever you go you'll come to feel entirely patriotic towards and have the time of your life- this is because Loughborough is incredible. The majority of the halls have an immense hall spirit- this is especially apparent during Freshers week. Don't stress. Just prioritise what it is you're looking for in a hall- if you're looking for a catered hall then I'd suggest Towers/Cayley/Royce- those are the seemingly most popular and lively catered. Self catered I'd really suggest Bill Mo (William Morris).

I am in William Morris and I can genuinely say picking Bill Mo was the BEST decision of my entire life. It's hall of the year and also the most over subscribed hall. It's the hall that gets the MOST returners applying back (so this means that we have hundreds more first/second/third years applying for limited places- this says A LOT). We have an incredible hall spirit, an amazing committee who are always on top of everything and maintain such a fun atmosphere. We have Mad Friday's, we win Rag each year, we have double beds, amazing facilities. We're also the closest to the union which TRUST me is incredible- halls in the village are a trek away, especially in heels after a night out. I can walk to the union in about 2 minutes flat. We're just across the road from the union which is perfect.

In truth, if you pick a good hall you'll have the time of your life. William Morris is massively over subscribed and places will go like hot cakes- if you're VERY sociable, love to party and make friends and just generally have the time of your life in the nicest rooms on campus, then go for Bill Mo.

I have pictures of the hall, room types and can give anyone any more info they want- just drop me a PM and I can add you on facebook or message it over.
Reply 36
Original post by vienna224
I remember a year ago being so stressed as to which hall to pick- everyone is going to bombard you with information as to why their hall is best. In truth, wherever you go you'll come to feel entirely patriotic towards and have the time of your life- this is because Loughborough is incredible. The majority of the halls have an immense hall spirit- this is especially apparent during Freshers week. Don't stress. Just prioritise what it is you're looking for in a hall- if you're looking for a catered hall then I'd suggest Towers/Cayley/Royce- those are the seemingly most popular and lively catered. Self catered I'd really suggest Bill Mo (William Morris).

I am in William Morris and I can genuinely say picking Bill Mo was the BEST decision of my entire life. It's hall of the year and also the most over subscribed hall. It's the hall that gets the MOST returners applying back (so this means that we have hundreds more first/second/third years applying for limited places- this says A LOT). We have an incredible hall spirit, an amazing committee who are always on top of everything and maintain such a fun atmosphere. We have Mad Friday's, we win Rag each year, we have double beds, amazing facilities. We're also the closest to the union which TRUST me is incredible- halls in the village are a trek away, especially in heels after a night out. I can walk to the union in about 2 minutes flat. We're just across the road from the union which is perfect.

In truth, if you pick a good hall you'll have the time of your life. William Morris is massively over subscribed and places will go like hot cakes- if you're VERY sociable, love to party and make friends and just generally have the time of your life in the nicest rooms on campus, then go for Bill Mo.

I have pictures of the hall, room types and can give anyone any more info they want- just drop me a PM and I can add you on facebook or message it over.

Thanks for the info, sounds great! Did you apply straight away when the accommodation opened and was Bill Mo your 1st choice?
Original post by vienna224

Ooh yes please, Rachel Leah Robbins on fb search and it's a pic of me with a boy with big lips :biggrin: lol. I'm slowly getting swayed towards BillMo x
Original post by Rachel_Leah
Thanks for making this thread, it's a great help :smile: I swear every time I think about accommodation my decisions change and I think 'Ooh but MAYBE...THIS would be beter' etc lol.

Do the wardens make sure UGs are put together in flats etc or is it normal for you to be next door to a few 2nd/3rd years? e.g. as Rigg-Rut has very few rooms compared to most other halls, if they get filled up with returners and unconditional students and there are only a few spaces for conditionals, and would that not be as sociable or is it generally not a problem? x

You'll generally have one returner in a flat of 6. two in a flat of 8.
Reply 39
Here's some pics I took a while ago of Bill Mo and put them up on the Accommodation pic thread -

http://img9.imageshack.us/i/img2011020700078.jpg/
http://img148.imageshack.us/i/img2011020700080.jpg/
http://img141.imageshack.us/i/img2011020700081.jpg/
http://img232.imageshack.us/i/img2011020700082.jpg/

It's Bill Mo ensuite room, however all Bill Mo rooms are very similar to this, minus the ensuite :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending