The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Carnationlilyrose
Pro-tip: save all your reports into a file categorised under Key Stage, time of year, whether or not it's a report after an exam, underachievers, the evil ones, the good ones etc. Build up a bank of comments over time, and your report writing will do itself in a trice after a while. All you have to do is remember a kid who was like one you've taught in the past and paste the comment in. For the first eight years of my career I prided myself on making every report I wrote unique. Then I realised that was a complete waste of time. When I moved to a school where I had to write three reports a year for every kid, I would have lost the plot entirely if I'd carried on at that rate. I know every kid is a special snowflake and all that, but there are only so many ways you can describe how good/bad they are at what you've set them. Make your life easier with copying and pasting.

Thanks for the tips. I have kept last year's reports, but my school has done a great job of completely changing the templates, amount of space and expectation of what we should be commenting on, so there's a limit to how useful they are this time around!

The way I'm planning to do it is to write a numeracy and literacy comment for high ability, middle ability and lower ability, do a find and replace to make a boy version and a girl version of each, and then a find and replace for each name. Then I'll just adapt each one a little bit to fit each child if there's something specific I want to comment on. It's likely almost every child will have the same comment for the general afternoon curriculum section but I will do the personal comments individually, I think (with some copying and pasting among similar children).

I've got twins in my class for the second year running, which always concerns me though - don't want to send home 2 identical reports to the same house!! Next year I'll have two sets of siblings (the same twins as this year, plus a set of sisters born at opposite ends of the academic year). Three years running of sending multiple reports to the same houses - what are the chances of that in a small primary school, I wonder?
How's everyone doing? Really enjoyed half term this time. Knowing I'm leaving at the end of the year is such a great feeling; can't wait to start afresh in September.

7 weeks to get through first! I have 3 extra free periods due to year 11 being gone now but they were my most enjoyable class if truth be told!
Hi! I've had a really restful week. Did A LOT of gardening and very little work!

I only started working today, but spent basically every waking moment of the day doing it! I've just sat through all of Pretty Woman doing reports, and spent the day in the garden doing my planning for this week.

I love this half term though - there's so much fun stuff going on and the pressure is off a bit in terms of intensity of lessons.

That said, I wouldn't say no to an extra few days of half term if I could have it...!
Reply 223
Original post by Steveluis10
How's everyone doing? Really enjoyed half term this time. Knowing I'm leaving at the end of the year is such a great feeling; can't wait to start afresh in September.

7 weeks to get through first! I have 3 extra free periods due to year 11 being gone now but they were my most enjoyable class if truth be told!

Is it really 7?.... I thought it was 6...
Only 5 and a half here in Leicestershire (but we start back at the end of August).

Think I'm going to be limping to the finish line though.

Had an OK half-term (quite restful but got some work done too) but yesterday my hayfever was horrendous and today I have a sore throat, headache and generally feel like the whole inside of my head has swollen up.

We've also got the return leg of the French exchange this week - 45 French Y9s arriving tomorrow. Earlier in the year (when planning our own outbound trip) I was so stressed that I couldn't deal with anything to do with this part of the exchange (because I couldn't see beyond Easter) so I don't feel at all ready for it.

Luckily I have 1 lesson of PPA today, and this afternoon I have Y11 and doubt many will turn up since they finished French 3 weeks ago, so hopefully I can use the time to sort myself out and make some phonecalls.
Original post by lantan
Is it really 7?.... I thought it was 6...

Six and a half at my end. 1 day down, 38 to go!
I got a new job in last half term, big promotion for me :h: Which means a big step up in terms of responsibility, but I'm looking forward to the challenge.

I'm really excited now to start at my new school in September and I'm finding a lot of things that would usually bother me at my current school are not so bad, because I only have to deal with them for 6 and a half more weeks! \
Reply 227
So my first ever GCSE class did their exam today. I felt quite relieved but at the same time sad that I'll not be seeing them at all anymore. They were an extremely challenging class but still the bonds were made.
Onwards and upwards!
Original post by lantan
So my first ever GCSE class did their exam today. I felt quite relieved but at the same time sad that I'll not be seeing them at all anymore. They were an extremely challenging class but still the bonds were made.
Onwards and upwards!

This year I'm just relieved to see the back of my Y11s, to be quite honest.

Last year I had an all-boys class with a wide range of ability (final results were A*-F) and quite a lot of silliness. They drove me up the wall, but actually a fair proportion of them genuinely cared how they did, and we got on well most of the time. I still kind of miss them.

This year, I've had the most apathetic Y11s ever. They are much better behaved than last year's group. I can get them silent quickly, they don't call out or talk over me, there's very little silliness. But they just don't care. They have spent the last year going through the motions and whilst their books look better because they've followed my instructions, most of them haven't actually taken anything in.

I've found teaching them incredibly depressing and have flagged up at every opportunity the fact that their results are not going to be good. I don't particularly feel like going in on results day this year, whereas last year I couldn't wait to find out how my class had done.

I feel like there's something wrong with me, but then my Y10s are doing amazingly well and I love teaching them. It's just this particular group where we didn't click at all. But I get the impression they were like that around the school.
Original post by myrtille
This year I'm just relieved to see the back of my Y11s, to be quite honest.

Last year I had an all-boys class with a wide range of ability (final results were A*-F) and quite a lot of silliness. They drove me up the wall, but actually a fair proportion of them genuinely cared how they did, and we got on well most of the time. I still kind of miss them.

This year, I've had the most apathetic Y11s ever. They are much better behaved than last year's group. I can get them silent quickly, they don't call out or talk over me, there's very little silliness. But they just don't care. They have spent the last year going through the motions and whilst their books look better because they've followed my instructions, most of them haven't actually taken anything in.

I've found teaching them incredibly depressing and have flagged up at every opportunity the fact that their results are not going to be good. I don't particularly feel like going in on results day this year, whereas last year I couldn't wait to find out how my class had done.

I feel like there's something wrong with me, but then my Y10s are doing amazingly well and I love teaching them. It's just this particular group where we didn't click at all. But I get the impression they were like that around the school.

Class chemistry is one of the mysteries of teaching. You won't have done anything wrong. It's just the way things are, because human nature makes some combinations work better than others. It'll be a different story again next year.
Good god this term is dragging now. 8 teaching days left for me but it's painful surviving each day now. Kids are manic, staff morale is at an all time low. Everyone just ready to finish. So glad I won't be returning next year.*
Can anyone help me here?

I've been an offer at a school starting September. I was successful at interview but told that they will now seek references. It's been about a week and a bit and I still ain't heard back. What do you think is happening?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Most schools should have got those references prior to interview tbh but I wouldn't worry unless you're not confident of your references? All teaching jobs are on the basis of satisfactory references.
Original post by Steveluis10
Most schools should have got those references prior to interview tbh but I wouldn't worry unless you're not confident of your references? All teaching jobs are on the basis of satisfactory references.

Yeah I was surprised they didn't. I'm not worried about the references, more the time remaining before the end of term. The deputy did say he'd like me to go in for a day or two before team summer holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qwerty_mad
Yeah I was surprised they didn't. I'm not worried about the references, more the time remaining before the end of term. The deputy did say he'd like me to go in for a day or two before team summer holidays.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not a lot to point trying to second guess them - I suggest you ring them up and ask if they still want you to go in for a day before the summer.
Original post by myrtille
Not a lot to point trying to second guess them - I suggest you ring them up and ask if they still want you to go in for a day before the summer.

But what if they ain't got the two references yet?!

Posted from TSR Mobile
How to guarantee you do NO work during the holidays - get engaged and spend every waking minute planning a wedding and honeymoon. :biggrin:

Hope you're all having half as good a summer as I am!
Reply 237
Original post by TraineeLynsey
How to guarantee you do NO work during the holidays - get engaged and spend every waking minute planning a wedding and honeymoon. :biggrin:

Hope you're all having half as good a summer as I am!

Planning a wedding myself now - the reason it's not all that fun is because it has the dreadful word "planning" in it!
:biggrin:
Original post by lantan
Planning a wedding myself now - the reason it's not all that fun is because it has the dreadful word "planning" in it!
:biggrin:

Congrats! I'm loving it! We've got a meeting tomorrow with our venue to try to finalise our costs, menus etc. Aiming for July next year, so trying to get a fair start on the planning now while I've got the time.

Do you have a date?
Reply 239
Original post by TraineeLynsey
Congrats! I'm loving it! We've got a meeting tomorrow with our venue to try to finalise our costs, menus etc. Aiming for July next year, so trying to get a fair start on the planning now while I've got the time.

Do you have a date?

Mine is in 10 days on the 20th!:colondollar:

Latest

Trending

Trending