The Student Room Group

January Exams didn't go as planned? Read this.

CLOSED
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
This has just re-motivated me :smile: Thank you! I was so upset with my exam results - they were not what i expected at all, however this has made me think that i can still achieve the grades i need. Thank you :smile:
Reply 2
Size 7. Like a bawwss :cool:

Well done on results OP. You're right; the "summer" (aka late spring) exams are deceptively close. Although I'm not even half way through most of the modules I'm sitting :K:
Reply 3
Thanks for the motivation, and 70 days kind of makes it seem real. I got BBCCE in my Jan. exams from only revising a couple of weeks before the exams, yesterday I came up with a study table and I'm going to be revising 4 hours after college each day and doing work during frees in addition to homework etc. and work over the weekend etc.

I've done around 6 hours today so I feel pretty proud, this is the first time in my life I've revised that much in one day. I'm feeling pretty determined to get 10 A's in May(resitting 5, doing 5).

I think it's reassuring to know that people who did get straight A's actually did revise and do a lot of work rather than it being something innate that I lack.

Thanks again, pos. rep.

EMZ=]
Reply 4
Original post by Wired_In
Hello,
So I'm pretty sure most of you reading this currently sat your January exams.
So guys, how did your results go?
Now generally this thread is for the people who think they've done "bad" or wanted to do better.
Firstly I'd like you read read this thread I created a month back, hopefully this motivates you: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1897330
Now, if you haven't done exactly as you planned. Don't give up. Come back stronger like I've stated in my thread I've posted about.
YOU ALL HAVE NEARLY 70 DAYS. WORK NOW, A-LEVELS IS SOMETHING YOU DO NOT WANT TO CRAM! YOU'VE GOT TIME, DO NOT DOUBT TIME. WORK NOW!
I'm not telling you guys to work 24/7, I'm tell you guys to work smartly.
General plan of how I work:
Monday-Thursday I do about 2/3 hours after school with my buddies at a library. Stick to that and you should be fine! Work in ALL your free periods as they are more important. Don't try do your homework in them as you'll get more studying and revision done in them. Most of the time, you usually get distracted at your natural environment.

FRIDAY: That's generally my break day, you guys cant work 7 days a week and Friday is a day you want to hang with you friends, have a break and a rest.

Saturdays & Sundays: 6 Hours a day, it does seem like it's a lot but you just need to break it up. 2 hours each time. So on Saturdays I work, I'm a tennis coach so I start at 9:30. I'll get up at 6:30 get ready at 7:00 AM work till 9:00 AM relax till 9:30 then go work then do the other 4 hours when ever I can.

My AS Results this January(sorry if this seems as bragging): C1 A-98/100, C2 A-94/100, S1 A-94/100, FP1 A-80/100, C3 A-94/100, Sociology RM A-114/120

I hoped this help, please feel free to ask me questions or discuss anything with me. I'm sure you ALL want to do well. DO NOT GIVE UP! YOU CAN STILL DO IT!!:smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile::smile:

I agree with everything you said, it's not about quantity of revision, it's about the quality. I do think you should edit out your results though, the last thing people who haven't done as well as they had hoped want is to see how well other people did.

Results day is one of the most depressing days of the year, even if I do well, seeing friends depressed is never enjoyable.
Reply 5
This thread occurs every year :lol:
Reply 6
Reply 7
I'm glad I helped. Thanks for the Positive ratings!
Please feel free to ask me questions.
Also, how do you guys study?
Reply 8
Original post by Benniboi1
I agree with everything you said, it's not about quantity of revision, it's about the quality. I do think you should edit out your results though, the last thing people who haven't done as well as they had hoped want is to see how well other people did.

Results day is one of the most depressing days of the year, even if I do well, seeing friends depressed is never enjoyable.

Mhmm, very true. I'll see what others think. I only did it because I wanted to show people that my routine worked for me.
Quality is what matters!
Reply 9
Mhmm, very true. I'll see what others think. I only did it because I wanted to show people that my routine worked for me.
Quality is what matters!

Good idea :smile: and congrats!
Reply 10
Original post by Emor
Thanks for the motivation, and 70 days kind of makes it seem real. I got BBCCE in my Jan. exams from only revising a couple of weeks before the exams, yesterday I came up with a study table and I'm going to be revising 4 hours after college each day and doing work during frees in addition to homework etc. and work over the weekend etc.

I've done around 6 hours today so I feel pretty proud, this is the first time in my life I've revised that much in one day. I'm feeling pretty determined to get 10 A's in May(resitting 5, doing 5).

I think it's reassuring to know that people who did get straight A's actually did revise and do a lot of work rather than it being something innate that I lack.

Thanks again, pos. rep.

EMZ=]

I'm glad I helped! One tip though by me: 4 hours a day after is a lot. Just make sure the QUALITY of revision you do is done well. Make sure you understand what your learning. It's not about quantity.
Try doing 2-3 hours a day! That way you stick to it!
Reply 11
I'm glad I helped! One tip though by me: 4 hours a day after is a lot. Just make sure the QUALITY of revision you do is done well. Make sure you understand what your learning. It's not about quantity.
Try doing 2-3 hours a day! That way you stick to it!

Yeah, I think I will adjust if necessary but as I said I have 10 exams >_<.

I've made it varied though so hopefully I won't be bored, it's in 2 hour slots for different modules :smile:.

EMZ=]
Reply 12
Original post by Lottie18
This has just re-motivated me :smile: Thank you! I was so upset with my exam results - they were not what i expected at all, however this has made me think that i can still achieve the grades i need. Thank you :smile:

I'm glad I helped! :smile:
If you have any questions please ask me. I don't mind helping others with skype too. My subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Psychology, Sociology, English Lit
Reply 13
Original post by Emor
Yeah, I think I will adjust if necessary but as I said I have 10 exams >_<.

I've made it varied though so hopefully I won't be bored, it's in 2 hour slots for different modules :smile:.

EMZ=]

What ever works for you! I've got 10 too! I'm still sticking with 2-3 hours. But I'll use my frees wisely.
It's always good to have a study plan buddy. Glad you've made one.
Reply 14
What ever works for you! I've got 10 too! I'm still sticking with 2-3 hours. But I'll use my frees wisely.
It's always good to have a study plan buddy. Glad you've made one.

Yeah, my maths teacher told me that I should make one, and I wasn't going to but I know if I don't I'd end up just revising the subjects/topics/modules I like and not bothering with the rest and it'd suck P:.

10 with no resits, I'm guessing you're doing extra modules/more than 5 AS then? A couple of people in my (fast-track)maths class are doing something ridiculous like 8 maths modules alone in May.

EMZ=]
Reply 15
Original post by Emor
Yeah, my maths teacher told me that I should make one, and I wasn't going to but I know if I don't I'd end up just revising the subjects/topics/modules I like and not bothering with the rest and it'd suck P:.

10 with no resits, I'm guessing you're doing extra modules/more than 5 AS then? A couple of people in my (fast-track)maths class are doing something ridiculous like 8 maths modules alone in May.

EMZ=]

My MAY exams: Sociology 1, Psychology CS, Psychology Inv, D1, D2, FP2, FP1, S2, M1, M2
What exams do you have?
I hope your revision goes well!
I'm glad I helped. Thanks for the Positive ratings!
Please feel free to ask me questions.
Also, how do you guys study?

For revision in biology, I write EVERTHING out front he revisions guide just so that I don't miss anything. (and past papers)

Chemistry : copy stuff out (not as much as biology) and do past papers

Maths: Past papers
Reply 17
Hey thanks for the motivation! Whats your technique for revising do you make notes or learn notes etc. I've tried almost everything but each time I don't get the expected grades. Thanks in advance
Reply 18
I need advice on how to spread out my revision. Is it best to focus on 1 particular subject for 1 day/1week and then another subject for a different day/week? Or would it be better if I revised 2-3 subjects on the same day doing like 2 hours of each? What would you recommend?
Original post by Benniboi1
..... it's not about quantity of revision, it's about the quality.

Agree on that. I've seen my own class-fellows engaging more in extracurricular activities and less in study buy yet able to get 95+ in Maths and other subjects.So in the end , it all comes down to your intellectual capacity and your quality of learning.

Quick Reply

Latest