The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

As per post #3, is there a way of stopping your school from certificating your AS results at the time you have taken them? Is there a date by which schools have to submit their results for publishing in gov league tables?
Original post by Forums^^
Do Teachers ever predict A*s at A2?

If the universities don't consider your AS grades doesn't that put those who got average GCSE's but stepped it up at AS (4a's) at a disadvantage?

Yes, but cautiously, to appropriate candidates.

They consider the whole package.
Original post by Groat
UCL emailed me saying that they'd like Economics applicants give a breakdown of UMS for all modules. When I asked where these should be detailed, they weren't sure and thought there would be a place on the UCAS application. I said there wasn't so they said to ask the referee to mention them all. However, I know the reference has a character limit, so surely it wouldn't be in my best interest to waste quite a lot of space on all these results.

Do you think it'd be suitable to email UCL soon after my application with my UMS results?

If UCL want them on UCAS, that's where they'll want them. Many of us put individual module scores into our references anyway. It's not a problem.
Reply 43
Original post by carnationlilyrose
If UCL want them on UCAS, that's where they'll want them. Many of us put individual module scores into our references anyway. It's not a problem.

I thought other universities didn't like you putting UMS scores in the Other box when entering qualifications? :s-smilie:
Reply 44
Original post by electric-wars
Thank you for your help. Another thing: as I studied in a foreign language I passed the subjects but didn't attain anywhere near straight A equivalents. Will universities look at my Spanish GCSE equivalents and view them with the same judgement as they would judge GCSE's, or would they be more lenient with grades from a foreign system?
I can't say, but if your referee makes the point that you gained these qualifications in what was your second language that might help.
Original post by Groat
I thought other universities didn't like you putting UMS scores in the Other box when entering qualifications? :s-smilie:

No, they go in the reference, which your teachers write. Your subject teachers will include them in what they say about you. You said UCL said to put them in the reference, and that's where they go. You don't put them in yourself. I think you might have got reference and personal statement mixed up.
Reply 46
No, they go in the reference, which your teachers write. Your subject teachers will include them in what they say about you. You said UCL said to put them in the reference, and that's where they go. You don't put them in yourself. I think you might have got reference and personal statement mixed up.

No, no. I haven't got them mixed up. UCL originally thought there was a space on the actual UCAS application for a student to input them, I said no, so they said get the reference to write them. Surely having all my modules and their UMS would waste space where my referee could be talking about myself?
Reply 47
Original post by tripleeagle
Hello :smile: Quick question: I sat one Critical Thinking unit (half an AS) this summer and got my result yesterday. Am I obliged to put the result on my UCAS or do I only have to mention that I am currently studying Critical Thinking?
If you are going to complete the qualification, you should enter it with a 'pending' result. If not, you can leave it out as one module of an AS won't gain you a certificated qualification.

Original post by Groat
UCL emailed me saying that they'd like Economics applicants give a breakdown of UMS for all modules. When I asked where these should be detailed, they weren't sure and thought there would be a place on the UCAS application. I said there wasn't so they said to ask the referee to mention them all. However, I know the reference has a character limit, so surely it wouldn't be in my best interest to waste quite a lot of space on all these results.

Do you think it'd be suitable to email UCL soon after my application with my UMS results?
No, you should put them on the form. You can enter them in the 'other' box.

Original post by stressed mum
As per post #3, is there a way of stopping your school from certificating your AS results at the time you have taken them? Is there a date by which schools have to submit their results for publishing in gov league tables?
No. Certification is arranged at the time of entering candidates for the examinations, and there is no longer the option to 'decline' grades - that was withdrawn several years ago. These arrangements mean that applicants who achieved their grades first time round are not disadvantaged relative to applicants who've had to take resits to get to the same standard.

Original post by Groat
Normally they don't, according to UCAS, but in a case where the uni has specified that that is what they want, the 'other' box is most sensible place to put them - saves characters in the reference.
If college puts my predictions as AAC and im aiming for unis with AAA requirements, would they not even consider me/give me a conditional offer???
Reply 49
How do I enter info about resits? You said I need to enter the original grades etc, but is this under the modules under the one subject, or do I need to make multiple subject pages for the same subject?
I did my core 1 in jan, then retook it in june. I will be retaking core 1 again and core 2 next january. Does this mean I need to enter 3 subject pages for AS maths?
Reply 50
Original post by chocoholic.
If college puts my predictions as AAC and im aiming for unis with AAA requirements, would they not even consider me/give me a conditional offer???
Unlikely, to be frank, unless there is some seriously individual positive feature of your application. Unis with AAA requirements are swamped with people predicted AAA grades who already have AAAA at AS level - or better, so a candidate with AAC predictions - unless there is good reason for this - is going to be at a major disadvantage.
Original post by Groat
No, no. I haven't got them mixed up. UCL originally thought there was a space on the actual UCAS application for a student to input them, I said no, so they said get the reference to write them. Surely having all my modules and their UMS would waste space where my referee could be talking about myself?

Your module titles are on the qualifications section, so a simple 'Unit 1' type reference is all that is needed anyway in the reference. Teachers will usually say something like 'Groat is an extremely able student of Hamster Husbandry whose ability was demonstrated by obtaining full marks in Unit 1 and 80% in Unit 2.' We have the same amount of space as you do, but we can be pretty economical in our ways of saying 'Groat is fab' because universities tend to take our word for it and we can rattle off a list of wonderful Hamster Husbandry things Groat does brilliantly quite easily and succinctly. If Groat is a lousy student, then there's even more space left to us, because referees tend to abide by the rule of 'If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.' Trust me, it won't be a problem, and if UCL want your UMS marks, they will get them. Would you rather they left them off?

Edit: If Minerva says they can go in the box, they can go in the box. What I said above still stands for other universities. If there's a reason to brag about modular scores, that's where we do it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 52
Your module titles are on the qualifications section, so a simple 'Unit 1' type reference is all that is needed anyway in the reference. Teachers will usually say something like 'Groat is an extremely able student of Hamster Husbandry whose ability was demonstrated by obtaining full marks in Unit 1 and 80% in Unit 2.' We have the same amount of space as you do, but we can be pretty economical in our ways of saying 'Groat is fab' because universities tend to take our word for it and we can rattle off a list of wonderful Hamster Husbandry things Groat does brilliantly quite easily and succinctly. If Groat is a lousy student, then there's even more space left to us, because referees tend to abide by the rule of 'If you can't say something nice, don't say anything at all.' Trust me, it won't be a problem, and if UCL want your UMS marks, they will get them. Would you rather they left them off?

Oh goodness, I would chuckle if Groat was my real name in my reference. :colondollar:

No, I am very proud of my UMS, I was just thinking about space. But I guess you're right and it won't take up much space in the reference!
Original post by Groat
Oh goodness, I would chuckle if Groat was my real name in my reference. :colondollar:

No, I am very proud of my UMS, I was just thinking about space. But I guess you're right and it won't take up much space in the reference!

I think Groat is a fab name and if it's not your real one, you should consider changing it. I would certainly give an offer to someone called Groat.
Reply 54
I think Groat is a fab name and if it's not your real one, you should consider changing it. I would certainly give an offer to someone called Groat.

Consider it noted. :sexface:
Original post by Minerva
Unlikely, to be frank, unless there is some seriously individual positive feature of your application. Unis with AAA requirements are swamped with people predicted AAA grades who already have AAAA at AS level - or better, so a candidate with AAC predictions - unless there is good reason for this - is going to be at a major disadvantage.

How about AAB and a realllyyyyy good reference???
Reply 56
Original post by chocoholic.
How about AAB and a realllyyyyy good reference???
When you are sorting through 100s of applications where nearly everyone meets or is predicted to meet the entry requirements, one of the easiest ways of whittling the numbers down is to remove everyone who isn't predicted at least the minimum requirements. That could happen before they even get to your reference.
Reply 57
Original post by Minerva
When you are sorting through 100s of applications where nearly everyone meets or is predicted to meet the entry requirements, one of the easiest ways of whittling the numbers down is to remove everyone who isn't predicted at least the minimum requirements. That could happen before they even get to your reference.

Would they not check your reference for any extenuating circumstances? I am applying for an AAA course with predicted grades A*AB, but the B is due to extenuating circumstances which are noted in my reference :frown:
Reply 58
Original post by laura94
Would they not check your reference for any extenuating circumstances? I am applying for an AAA course with predicted grades A*AB, but the B is due to extenuating circumstances which are noted in my reference :frown:
They should, certainly. Whether they'll take them into account depends on what they were, the uni, and the department in question. They all do things differently.
Reply 59
Original post by Minerva

You will be expected to declare all your resit plans: yes, this does mean entering things twice, once with a result and again with a pending result.

I got 270/300 in Physics AS, but I plan to resit my Physics ISA, which I got a C in. Do I need to enter it again for ISA resits, or just exam resits?

Latest

Trending

Trending