The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The most obvious 'old building' college is Castle (University), I guess.

Can you expand a bit more about what you want - do you want to be on the Hill/Bailey (do you want to be close to the middle or have to walk a bit more?); which hobbies do you want catered for (e.g. music, drama etc.)

I'm at Trevs - it's small, has 1960s buildings (!!), is catered and you share a room for a term in your first year.

Josephine Butler is completely self-catered and at Cuths you can choose (I think?).

Have you/can you go on an open day or a trip round Durham to have college tours? Only you can decide which would suit you best. I think there is also a wiki article here about choosing a Durham college.
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
I'm hijackign your thread - I'm sorry!
I'm thinking about applying to St. John's based on size, location and music and drama.

What I've been trying to find out is how the religious aspect of the college impacts on non-religious people?
Everyone on here seems to give out bad vibes about it :s-smilie:!
Reply 3
deleted
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I heard that if you don't love God, they come into your room at night and rape you.
Reply 5
i think i'd like a bailey college preferable with good music stuff really! any recomendations??
Reply 6
Music choices should be adequately cared for at pretty much any college! A huge portion of Durhamers are musical. I think you should go for St Chad's because nobody ever suggests it, yet it seems like a nice College. If you fancy the Hill, go for Grey, just because it's dead good.
adamreed
i think i'd like a bailey college preferable with good music stuff really! any recomendations??

From what I remember, the best college for you (small, Bailey, music) is Mary's. My college (Cuth's) and several others are too big, and Mary's is known for music. I think it has music rooms and stuff. It's got a crap bar though, although you haven't once mentioned bars so I guess you aren't like me and find that important...
Reply 8
Except for Mary's isn't on the Bailey, it's on the Hill
Oh well, ignore me then. Still sounds like the best college for you if music's important, though.
Reply 10
From http://www.dur.ac.uk/trevelyan.jcr/JCR/Societies/, Trevs has:

Trevs Jazz
Trevs String Orchestra
Trevs Flute Choir
Trevs Choir
Trevs Orchestra
Hill College Theatre Company
Musical Society

for music and drama stuff. Also has several practice rooms with pianos.

:smile:
Reply 11
i was thinking st johns sounding nice any opinions of it??
NickiM
From http://www.dur.ac.uk/trevelyan.jcr/JCR/Societies/, Trevs has:

Trevs Jazz
Trevs String Orchestra
Trevs Flute Choir
Trevs Choir
Trevs Orchestra
Hill College Theatre Company
Musical Society

for music and drama stuff. Also has several practice rooms with pianos.

:smile:

Yeah, but he wants a pretty college, from what I've heard Trevelyan isn't. It's also on the hill :p:

John's, erm, first thing that springs to mind is religion.
Reply 13
MyNameIsDave
Yeah, but he wants a pretty college, from what I've heard Trevelyan isn't. It's also on the hill :p:

John's, erm, first thing that springs to mind is religion.

It's pretty in its own special way :p:
Reply 14
I was looking at the prospectus and i think ive narrowed it down to these two-

St Chad's (however ive heard its heavily over subscribed which puts me off a little bit as i dont want to be pooled and end up somewhere i dont like)
St Johns

Which do you think is best and if possible can i have positives and negatives for all three. Thanks!
Reply 15
adamreed
I was looking at the prospectus and i think ive narrowed it down to three -

St Chad's (however ive heard its heavily over subscribed which puts me off a little bit as i dont want to be pooled and end up somewhere i dont like)
Hatfield
St Johns

Which do you think is best and if possible can i have positives and negatives for all three. Thanks!

You don't get pooled at Durham. (I'm pretty sure anyway)
Reply 16
I though you could get pooled if the college you applied to was had already filled its quota for your subject and then you go where ever there is spaces left?
NickiM
You don't get pooled at Durham. (I'm pretty sure anyway)

You do if your chosen college rejects you.

I never hear much about Chad's, which you can take as a good or a bad thing. As for John's, it's a religious college and I think the bar is underground. That's all I know.
Reply 18
Apparently, Chad's is overrun with females so that could be helpful :biggrin:
adamreed
I though you could get pooled if the college you applied to was had already filled its quota for your subject and then you go where ever there is spaces left?

Yes, your department decides which college to send your application to next.

Latest