The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
coretmanus
Hey!

I'm about the become a Butler student in like 2 weeks

but can someone tell my why I have to shed £126 to the sports levy? and what would happen if I didnt?

The likelihood is Ill get a job at a leisure centre so I would get free gym membership, therefore am I just wasting 126 queens?

:smile:

The sports levy is the same everywhere.

If you don't pay it (which you can do easily, you just opt-out), then you can't join any sports teams and you aren't supposed to use any sports facilities, including your college gym (assuming Butler has one) and the central sports stuff.

I'd only opt-out if you're 100% sure you're not a sporty type, and even if you do pay now you can opt out later on if you've decided the sports side isn't for you (and thus get refunded).

(I've read that in reality they don't check if you're using stuff like tennis courts and college gyms, but I'm pretty sure they'll look up your membership if you apply to join a team.)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
You can opt out and you can pay to use the college gym separately. If you don't expect to do team games it is a rip off.
Reply 3
hypocriticaljap
You can opt out and you can pay to use the college gym separately. If you don't expect to do team games it is a rip off.

IIRC you have to have the sports charge to use even the college gym, as you are only under Uni insurance if you pay the charge.

Latest