The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Tallulah G
Why does everyone else get to wear nice normal/coloured clothes to matriculation?
Stupid castle and their stupid black and white dress code :grumble: I'm going to look like a waitress!

Haha my thoughts exactly!
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 21
It doesn't really make sense, why does castle need a dress code if none of the other colleges have one?!
MyNameIsDave
Lol, Alex, I think if you wear a bow tie you're gonna look a little over-dressed. I would go with a tie.

Over-dressed really isn't an issue when you're in your Harry Potter gowns, standing under the shadow of a gigantic cathedral...

Tallulah G
Why does everyone else get to wear nice normal/coloured clothes to matriculation?
Stupid castle and their stupid black and white dress code :grumble: I'm going to look like a waitress!

Erm... I thought everyone had a black-and-white dress code. I've always been told that matriculation is strictly black and white.
Reply 23
Awoodrow2
Over-dressed really isn't an issue when you're in your Harry Potter gowns, standing under the shadow of a gigantic cathedral...

Erm... I thought everyone had a black-and-white dress code. I've always been told that matriculation is strictly black and white.

Other people seem to think they don't.... :dontknow:
Reply 24
Awoodrow2
Can anyone help as to which is better (with black trousers/white shirt) - a black bow tie, or a navy blue straight tie?
Assuming the tie should be dark like everything else...

Definitely a normal tie.
Prudy
Definitely a normal tie.

Just wanted to check - I can be rather pedantic. When told black and white, I panic if all I have is dark blue... :o:
Awoodrow2
Just wanted to check - I can be rather pedantic. When told black and white, I panic if all I have is dark blue... :o:

No-one's gonna notice :p:
Castle has a dress code...? This is not something I have seen, I must dig out a white shirt....
Reply 28
At Stephenson we just wear normal clothes (formal) with a college tie or something. I'm going for the scarf, purely for warmth. We have to get up at seven or something, have a year photo then get the bus up to Durham...
For a male postgraduate, would it be best to wear a suit jacket, or just a shirt and tie?
I'd recommend a pair of trousers too, it gets a mite chilly in Durham!

Latest