The Student Room Group

Did anyone get an offer for pharmacy with their medicine Personal Statement + where?

Hey you guys,

I am re-applying to medicine this year but cannot afford to take another gap year should I fail to get in once again My 5th choice is going to be pharmacy.

I was wondering whether anyone has had offers from pharmacy with a Medical Personal Statement and where? Did you need to email admissions another PS that was specific to pharmacy> And also do they interview you?

A2 grades:

A - Chemistry
A - Biology
B - RE

Thanks

Scroll to see replies

Not me, but one of my friends last year got an offer for pharmacology at Cardiff with a medicine personal statement i.e. it was her 5th choice. She also applied to Cardiff for medicine.

She didn't send an extra personal statement, and i don't *think* she was interviewed, but im not 100% about that!

Hope that helps :smile:
CoffeeAtStarbucks
Hey you guys,

I am re-applying to medicine this year but cannot afford to take another gap year should I fail to get in once again My 5th choice is going to be pharmacy.

I was wondering whether anyone has had offers from pharmacy with a Medical Personal Statement and where? Did you need to email admissions another PS that was specific to pharmacy> And also do they interview you?

A2 grades:

A - Chemistry
A - Biology
B - RE

Thanks

Friends have got offers from Cardiff, UEA and Bradford when they've put pharmacy as 5th choice.
EmersonDrain
Friends have got offers from Cardiff, UEA and Bradford when they've put pharmacy as 5th choice.

Thankyou :smile: Do you know whether they had to send an extra PS for UEA, because when i rang in there they said to email addmissions an extra PS.There are people who won't phone in and apply with a med PS and may get offers, so writing a whole new PS may be a waste of time and unecessary hard work.
CoffeeAtStarbucks
Thankyou :smile: Do you know whether they had to send an extra PS for UEA, because when i rang in there they said to email addmissions an extra PS.There are people who won't phone in and apply with a med PS and may get offers, so writing a whole new PS may be a waste of time and unecessary hard work.

I don't know. But if you phoned and they said send an extra PS for pharmacy then that's probably what you should do. If you can't be bothered then that's a bit of a clue that the course really isn't for you :wink:
CoffeeAtStarbucks
Hey you guys,

A2 grades:

A - Chemistry
A - Biology
B - RE

Thanks

I got an unconditional from LSOP! and an offer from Bath!....but i sent them separate pharmacy personal statements with a cover letter saying why. CHeeky but it worked :smile: not that i needed them though :p:
Reply 6
i remember that in the 90s peeple had little trubble landing a pharmacy offer wif a medicine application.

in these days of reduced competition for university places its probalby easier than that to get a pharm offer so i wouldnt unduly worry about it, macca.
Reply 7
Last year one of my friends applied,

Cambridge
Cardiff
Bristol
BSMS

for medicine but only got a place at BSMS however she also applied to portsmouth for pharmacy and got a place there. However I would warn you with AAB it may be hard to get a place for pharmacy as it is also a very competive course.
Gizmo!
i remember that in the 90s peeple had little trubble landing a pharmacy offer wif a medicine application.

in these days of reduced competition for university places its probalby easier than that to get a pharm offer so i wouldnt unduly worry about it, macca.

For some reason i find your posts quite annoying...not sure why. Nothing personal lol :smile:
Reply 9
Gizmo!

reduced competition? I think you'll find there is more competition. My Dad did pharmacy, he got offers from four universities including an unconditional- these days you are very unlikely to get an unconditional offer for pharmacy without your grades in hand.
iceman_jondoe
I got an unconditional from LSOP! and an offer from Bath!....but i sent them separate pharmacy personal statements with a cover letter saying why. CHeeky but it worked :smile: not that i needed them though :p:

Did you say in your cover letter that pharmacy was your backup plan or make it sound more like you were torn between the two?

Just curious - I've not made a 5th choice as I've already decided to reapply next year if I don't get in for medicine.
Reply 11
i got an offer for uea with no extra personal statement or works experience
I managed to get an interview and an offer at Cardiff to study MPharm despite having a 100% medical personal statement :smile:
Reply 13
Yup! My friends, last year, got an offer of BBB from Bradford for pharmacy without an interview! She withdrew because she had an offer for Dentistry from leeds! :biggrin:
Reply 14
stilaxsilk
reduced competition? I think you'll find there is more competition. My Dad did pharmacy, he got offers from four universities including an unconditional- these days you are very unlikely to get an unconditional offer for pharmacy without your grades in hand.

er well no, decreased.

peeple used to get a 'andout to go to univeristy, which was a big incentive to go. £800 a term free three times a year, when average student rent was a peddling £30 per week.

you cant argue that peeple who now 'ave to pay for their courses are flocking to university wif anywhere near that kind of alacrity. we pay tuition fees on top of that.

massive DIS-incentive nationawide.
Reply 15
do the unis tell you to send the statement
Thanks everyone :smile:

cousto
do the unis tell you to send the statement

I've only rang UEA and Sunderland, and Sunderland didnt ask me to send a second PS, however UEA did. I havn't had time to ring all these other universities people have told me about as Admissions offices are closed over the weekend :P
blumley
i got an offer for uea with no extra personal statement or works experience

You must have been very strong academically!
EmersonDrain
Did you say in your cover letter that pharmacy was your backup plan or make it sound more like you were torn between the two?

Just curious - I've not made a 5th choice as I've already decided to reapply next year if I don't get in for medicine.

Yes but obviously not in those exact words. Good luck
Has anyone received an offer for Pharmacy at Nottingham?
I emailed them last week and they said:

"If you make an application for Medicine and you meet our entry criteria, we would contact you to submit a separate supplementary statement targeted at Pharmacy."

So I had better start writing a Pharmacy statement then!

Latest

Trending

Trending