The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Renal
A little. Try £21,500 (about the same as a junior staff nurse).

:eek: On the website, it says that from 1st April 2009:

"In the most junior hospital doctor post (foundation year 1) a doctor on a 50% supplement would earn £33,285. This increases in the second year (foundation year 2) to £41,285."

No idea it was that much lower :s-smilie:
Reply 61
Renal
A little. Try £21,500 (about the same as a junior staff nurse).

I think thats a rubbish salary, especially after being at med school for 5 years and then working your backside off as a FY1!.I would have thought you would have got a lot more.
Lu-x
Lol. No idea tbh :lol:

:rolleyes:
gildartz
Chicks, Money, Power, and Chicks.

Dr Cox! :yep:
Reply 64
Annie72
I think thats a rubbish salary, especially after being at med school for 5 years and then working your backside off as a FY1!.I would have thought you would have got a lot more.
Well you don't. And you lot will get relatively less since the pay has been effectively frozen below the rate of inflation and will only stay that way, you're also likely to have a lot less banding and locum opportunities.
Isaacchan
1.) science
2.) working with humans
3.) stable career
4.) i get a kick out of being the go-to guy :biggrin:
5.) one of the few careers that you help real humans deal with real problems
6.) i know i will succeed
7.) prestige
8.) intellectually stimulating, interesting course
9.) as you can see i'm quite a pedantic person
10.) it does pay well

I'm sure drug dealers do as well,
did you know that pays well?
Working in the hospital! As long as I can do research in the scientific field (I want maybe to become consultant microbiologist) whilst visting patients, then I would love to do medicine.
Reply 67
RoadWarrior
:eek: On the website, it says that from 1st April 2009:

No idea it was that much lower :s-smilie:
Very few people get the 50% band, certainly not for their whole year. If and when you come to do it there'll be even fewer.
Renal
Well you don't. And you lot will get relatively less since the pay has been effectively frozen below the rate of inflation and will only stay that way, you're also likely to have a lot less banding and locum opportunities.

it has to be worth it all the same? :smile:
how do you find your career?

I have an idea that medicine will be less of a career than it being my life after uni,
especially working as a junior doctor, doing the long hours all week for months :p:
strangely i feel i would enjoy this?
JordanCarroll
I'm sure drug dealers do as well,
did you know that pays well?

aw man theres this article in our staff room from this magazine like yearsss ago about the similarities between doctors and drug dealers..ugh i wish i could find it now, VERY funny!
FelicityEllen
Dr Cox! :yep:

i swear I've seen you crawling the med foruns before :p:

who are you and what do you want?? :lolwut:
JordanCarroll

I have an idea that medicine will be less of a career than it being my life after uni,
especially working as a junior doctor, doing the long hours all week for months :p:
strangely i feel i would enjoy this?

i dont get this whole 'long hours' shizzle, f1 on my ward, hes fab, but still gets to be in at 8, and home by 6..
Subcutaneous
aw man theres this article in our staff room from this magazine like yearsss ago about the differences between doctors and drug dealers..ugh i wish i could find it now, VERY funny!

hahaa!!!
that is brilliant! :biggrin:
i was just sitting here drawing parallels with what that isaachan dude said, and a drug dealer :p:

too much fun,
im gona google that see if i can find it
JordanCarroll
i swear I've seen you crawling the med foruns before :p:

who are you and what do you want?? :lolwut:

You crop up on the Discussions at the side, and I click.
I didnt realise I wasn't welcome :frown:
Reply 74
well the real reason is that I think it'll be an interesting job, I mean, you meet new patients, diagnose different diseases, and gain new knowledge and experiences every day of your working life and that will keep things interesting and varied. During my work experience at a gp surgery, i spoke to one of the GPs and he said that even after all of the years he's been at the GP, he still looks forward to the next working day and imo that outweighs the crappy hours/mediocre wage. To be honest, I don't really consider helping others as a motivator for me since I don't reallysee the point of going through 5 years in uni and all of the years after that of training just to help others when I can simply volunteer for a charity or something.
Reply 75
Subcutaneous
i dont get this whole 'long hours' shizzle, f1 on my ward, hes fab, but still gets to be in at 8, and home by 6..
A 55 hour week, nice...

A nurse's shifts might be longer, but there are fewer of them.

(and nurses are usually - not always I know - paid and insured for the hours they work)
Subcutaneous

fag :wink:
i joke, does he do just5 days a week?
Reply 77
JordanCarroll
I hate my job. Fml.
FelicityEllen
You crop up on the Discussions at the side, and I click.
I didnt realise I wasn't welcome :frown:

we have a habit of spamming like 5 threads at once till they swarm the homepage :wink:
of course you're welcome :biggrin:
:wavey:
JordanCarroll
fag :wink:
i joke, does he do just5 days a week?

yup, he did hospital at night a few weeks ago, i think..but yeah, hes in mon-fri, 8-6, maybe 6.30 if we're all feeling mean and want to bother him

Latest

Trending

Trending