The Student Room Group

Which university for MSc Town and Regional/Spatial Planning?

Hi

I have just graduated with a Geography degree and am currently taking a year out so I can earn enough money to do a masters next year.

My choices have been narrowed down to UCL, Cardiff and Sheffield (poss Reading too, though it looks a lot more Real Estate focused.)

Just wondered if anyone has studied planning at any of these places, and what they think of the course/social life/career prospects for postgrads new to the uni?

UCL is tempting me with the summer to study abroad in USA. However, I'm not sure if I would like living in London, what with the increased cost of living.

Any advice from people that have studied Town Planning or have been to these universities would be greatly appreciated!

Ta xx
Reply 1
kissmekate88
Hi

I have just graduated with a Geography degree and am currently taking a year out so I can earn enough money to do a masters next year.

My choices have been narrowed down to UCL, Cardiff and Sheffield (poss Reading too, though it looks a lot more Real Estate focused.)

Just wondered if anyone has studied planning at any of these places, and what they think of the course/social life/career prospects for postgrads new to the uni?

UCL is tempting me with the summer to study abroad in USA. However, I'm not sure if I would like living in London, what with the increased cost of living.

Any advice from people that have studied Town Planning or have been to these universities would be greatly appreciated!

Ta xx

I'm currently doing a PhD in City Planning at Cardiff, but I didn't do my masters here, but feel free to ask any questions!
Reply 2
Hi Kissnekate88 I'm in exactly the same position as you! I've just done a Geography degree & am thinking about going into town planning aswell. Which uni did you goto ? I'm thinking of applying to Newcastle (going to their open day tom) Sheffield & Liverpool. Got a friend at Sheffield doing planning & he loves it there.
Currently working as an xmas temp but have some more work exp lined up for mid january when my contract finishes-desperately trying to get my hands on one of the government bursaries! I know the course at UCL is highly regarded but for me its just not financially viable

I'm trying to cobble together a convincing personal statement but finding it really tricky. Any help would be much appreciated
Reply 3
Hi Kissnekate88 and wallid,

I'm pretty much in a similar situation to you both. Ive done some work experience and have sent my application to UCL for Spatial Planning, I'm going to apply to Westminster as well. I have also just graduated in Geography from King's college. Have you sent any applications yet?

arkbar-Where and what did you do your Masters in? Also, when you finished were there jobs out there?
Reply 4
Hi rosedoll10,

No I haven't applied yet. Really need to get my skates on. Went to Newcastle today for their open day & thats now become top of my list. Shame its the most expensive tho...
Could I ask what did you put in your ps? Did you mainly concentrate on your work experience? Did you mention any extra-curricular stuff?

I've been told the job situation isn't great for planners atm but hopefully should turn around soon. Fingers crossed!
Reply 5
Wallid - I just finished uni at Southampton. Which uni were you at?

I'm filling out applications for Sheff and Cardiff at the mo, but have become slightly stumped at the Personal Statement part. I don't have any relevant work experience and my dissertation wasn't planning based in the slightest. I think I'm just gonna write down about the modules that I enjoyed, and I guess about extra-curricular stuff, positions of responsibility I had at uni, etc. I don't have anything else otherwise!

Also did you put in your A-levels under academic qualifications? I'm not sure how relevant they are (aside from geoggers.)

Rosedoll10 - have you already got accommodation sorted in London? UCL does have such a good reputation, but I'm not sure I could afford to live there and pay for the masters :frown:
Reply 6
The University of Birmingham also has a town planning masters degree course (MSc Urban & Regional Planning) and has this year (2009) been accredited by the RTPI, it is a good uni with a very good department (the Centre of Urban & Regional Studies) and I am currently doing the course, although I do not live in Birmingham but commute from nearby living costs at the university are very prohibitive which is a downside for those who do not live in the area.

I think the course is a bit more 'easy going' than at Cardiff, i looked at the course outline and was a bit shocked by the amount of practical work involved, the course at Birmingham is more geared to essay writing although of course there will be some practical elements

Latest

Trending

Trending