The Student Room Group

The Contraceptive Thread - information and questions

Scroll to see replies

This is OK so long as you make up for the pills missing from your nexts months pack that you took extra. So long as you take a minimum of 21 pills each month, its OK to delay your period by taking a few extra or doubling up
Thanks so much as I was worried it might not be safe to do! 😃👍

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5322
Hey,
I was prescribed Microgynon 30 today at my GPs and was told (and also read in the leaflet) to start taking it on the first day of my period so that I was protected straight away. However im very unlikely to be having sex in the first few weeks after starting the pill as I live in a different city to my boyfriend for uni etc. (And i am also not planning to have sex without a condom initially anyway). Therefore I was wondering whether to start it the first day AFTER my period as then I should have my pill free week when my period should be due anyway (although I know its very unlikely that they will be on time or they may be messed up for a while). So shall I do what I was told and just start it the first day of my period or wait til after? Opinions please.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by EH1994
Hey,
I was prescribed Microgynon 30 today at my GPs and was told (and also read in the leaflet) to start taking it on the first day of my period so that I was protected straight away. However im very unlikely to be having sex in the first few weeks after starting the pill as I live in a different city to my boyfriend for uni etc. (And i am also not planning to have sex without a condom initially anyway). Therefore I was wondering whether to start it the first day AFTER my period as then I should have my pill free week when my period should be due anyway (although I know its very unlikely that they will be on time or they may be messed up for a while). So shall I do what I was told and just start it the first day of my period or wait til after? Opinions please.
Thanks in advance :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its suggested to start it when you begin your period so you're protected straight away. You can start taking it on any day during your cycle, it'll just take a week before it becomes effective if you take it outside of the first five days of your period.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey, Can anyone recommend a pill that doesn't cause spots/acne? I was on microgynon 30 for nearly a year and my skin went from always clear to spot prone. The doctor changed me on to Cilest which i've been on it for nearly three months now, at first my skin cleared up and returned to how it was before i started taking birth control but recently it's starting to break out again and i'm getting really down about it as i can't seem to get rid of them. Can anyone recommend a different one that is less likely to cause spots? Thanks x
Original post by Sarahfrancesca94
Hey, Can anyone recommend a pill that doesn't cause spots/acne? I was on microgynon 30 for nearly a year and my skin went from always clear to spot prone. The doctor changed me on to Cilest which i've been on it for nearly three months now, at first my skin cleared up and returned to how it was before i started taking birth control but recently it's starting to break out again and i'm getting really down about it as i can't seem to get rid of them. Can anyone recommend a different one that is less likely to cause spots? Thanks x

Everyone reacts differently to different pills. Nobody can guarauntee you wouldn't have this reaction to a certain type of pill... its really just a case of trial and error.
Hey, i posted a few days ago about taking cilest and have decided i want to stop taking it altogether due to bad side effects. If i stop taking it after today, will i have a withdrawal bleed straightaway or not? I've only taken nine out of the 21 pills so far.
I had the same problem and switched to loestrin 20. It's the main pill with the lowest amount of hormones in it. Give it a Google and speak to your doctor. microndroa made my heart go weird so I had to swap. Loestrin comes in 40 or 20 but the 20 has less hormones in it and U don't get horrible stomach cramps like you do on microndroa.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi all,
I took microgynon back to back for about 4/5 months as per doctors instructions. I'm now back to taking it normally today after finishing a 7 day pill-free break. Am I protected against pregnancy? I took about 6 packs back to back. Thank you
Original post by sammuss
Hi all,
I took microgynon back to back for about 4/5 months as per doctors instructions. I'm now back to taking it normally today after finishing a 7 day pill-free break. Am I protected against pregnancy? I took about 6 packs back to back. Thank you

Yes you're protected during your 7 day break.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Yes you're protected during your 7 day break.

Am I protected now despite having taken 6 packs back to back?
Original post by sammuss

Yep :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by sammuss

Yes, so long as you've had a minimum of 21 pills in a row, with no maximum
Hey girls,

I'm looking for anyone who has, or used to have, a history of "abnormally" painful menstrual cramps. This refers to any of:
Being so painful you can't walk
Vomiting because of the discomfort
Heavy painful periods involving changing a tampon every half hour
Painkillers not helping because it's so intense
Getting pains at any time of the month, no matter where you are in the cycle (just being worse around period-time, obviously).
Unable to do back-to-back pill packs because of breakthrough bleeding and incredible cramp pain whenever you try
Etc etc, you get the picture.

I've been tested for all STDs and things like inflamed ovaries and endometriosis - all clear.

The next suggestion is switched from the pill to something else. So basically has anyone similar switched to a contraceptive method that is both just as effective as the pill, and has helped with reducing the severe pain (or at least in reducing heaviness of periods which has in turn reduced the pain?).

Thanks for any help!
Original post by lou_100
Hey girls,

I'm looking for anyone who has, or used to have, a history of "abnormally" painful menstrual cramps. This refers to any of:
Getting pains at any time of the month, no matter where you are in the cycle (just being worse around period-time, obviously).
Unable to do back-to-back pill packs because of breakthrough bleeding and incredible cramp pain whenever you try

I've been tested for all STDs and things like inflamed ovaries and endometriosis - all clear.

The next suggestion is switched from the pill to something else. So basically has anyone similar switched to a contraceptive method that is both just as effective as the pill, and has helped with reducing the severe pain (or at least in reducing heaviness of periods which has in turn reduced the pain?).

Thanks for any help!

This might sound strange, even gross at first but hear me out.

Consider switching to reusable/alternative menstrual products. That is, menstrual cups and cloth pads.

Within the reusables community, we've noticed that about 80% of women report that their periods get shorter, lighter and less painful within the first couple of months of switching, and we're not sure why, but best guess is its the absence of chemicals in the products that draw out the menstrual flow, among others. A lot of women are sensitive to them, and some more than others. If you've had all the investigations done, might be worth looking into. If it really doesn't appeal, trying chemical free, unbleached organic disposables (the main UK brand is natracare) might help too.

On the contraceptive/medical side, the best thing to do might actually be trying a different type of pill. Pills have the most diversity in hormone levels so that might be the best first step. Its not uncommon for women on the progesterone only pill to stop having periods, and its good to try the POP first if you're considering anything like the implant longer term as it has the same basic hormones.

Has your doctor ever prescribed mefenamic acid for the pain? Its a painkiller thats often used for painful, heavy periods.
Original post by lou_100
Hey girls,

Thanks for any help!

One of my friends said that Mirena helped her with problem periods. I also second the menstrual cup suggestion; I found mine got better after I switched to a femmecup from tampons.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by lou_100
Hey girls,

Thanks for any help!

The Mirena is known to reduce the heaviness of your periods and in some cases stop it altogether. It can be painful at first, but it may be worth it at the end. It definitely helped me. Oh, and it's also more effective than the pill, in the effect it has and that you don't have to remember taking anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
This might sound strange, even gross at first but hear me out.

Consider switching to reusable/alternative menstrual products. That is, menstrual cups and cloth pads.

Within the reusables community, we've noticed that about 80% of women report that their periods get shorter, lighter and less painful within the first couple of months of switching, and we're not sure why, but best guess is its the absence of chemicals in the products that draw out the menstrual flow, among others. A lot of women are sensitive to them, and some more than others. If you've had all the investigations done, might be worth looking into. If it really doesn't appeal, trying chemical free, unbleached organic disposables (the main UK brand is natracare) might help too.

On the contraceptive/medical side, the best thing to do might actually be trying a different type of pill. Pills have the most diversity in hormone levels so that might be the best first step. Its not uncommon for women on the progesterone only pill to stop having periods, and its good to try the POP first if you're considering anything like the implant longer term as it has the same basic hormones.

Has your doctor ever prescribed mefenamic acid for the pain? Its a painkiller thats often used for painful, heavy periods.

Original post by gemmam
One of my friends said that Mirena helped her with problem periods. I also second the menstrual cup suggestion; I found mine got better after I switched to a femmecup from tampons.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by Obliviate
The Mirena is known to reduce the heaviness of your periods and in some cases stop it altogether. It can be painful at first, but it may be worth it at the end. It definitely helped me. Oh, and it's also more effective than the pill, in the effect it has and that you don't have to remember taking anything.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nurse switched me from Microgynon 30 to Loestrin 30 and says to wait out 3 months and see if I notice any changes. If still unhappy I can book a consultation with a coil-fitting doctor to talk about IUD devices - think she said Mirena yeah.

Anyone/anyone else by chance on Loestrin and know if it's fine to take back to back packs for 2 or 3 months. I basically remember being told by about 3 nurses/doctors over the past year that the leaflets get far too specific and it's actually absolutely fine, you can even restart a new pack after the 3rd or 4th day of bleeding rather than waiting 7. That's what I did with Microgynon but can't remember if they were talking about just that pill or all combined pills in general? I'd assume all pills as they didn't always ask which one I was on.
I currently have a copper iud and I'm wanting to get it removed as Ive had thrush nearly every month since I had it fitted a year and a half ago (before anyone asks Ive tried various things to prevent it, Ive been to both my GP and local sexual health clinic and I know it isnt due to it being passed between my boyfriend and I as we didn't sleep together for over a month and I still got it). Ive been fine with it otherwise but I can't put up with getting thrush all the time! Im considering either just going back to using condoms or trying the IUS. I do like the peace of mind having a coil gives me but Im wondering if I'd just have the same problem as its another foreign body (the doctor said that thrush with the copper iud can sometimes be due to a nickel allergy which I do have)? Thoughts?

The reason I'm deciding between these two options as I can't use anything containing oestrogen so that leaves out the combined pill, ring and patch. I wouldn't touch the injection with a barge pole and I'm not that keen on the idea of the implant or mini pill either.
I'm on loestrin 20 and I've taken it two months in a row. Be careful though as I was on holiday in rome and had break through bleeding for a few days. But out of the 4-5 times ive done back to back for two moths it's only happened once when I was on holiday. Very annoying. It only lasted four days and I found out it's a common issue with loestrin. I also read you should take it more than three months back to back. I've only ever done two though. Hope that helps.

The nurse did tell me about having a shorter break but I've never tried it as I couldn't find anything online saying you can do that. Let me know if you do :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest