The Student Room Group

To get a job or do a masters???

Hello every1, i have a bit of a dilemma i was hopin ya'l cud help me out wit. Hav just finished my 2nd year at uni, about to go into my final year in sept but im not sure whether i shud go on to do a masters in human resources or just go on to get a job in human resources.

I currently work for a major UK company which run a really great graduate scheme, good money, etc and if i apply there is a good chance i cud b succesful as i already have a foot in the door by working there already and a good reference provided by my management team.

But on the other hand I also feel like im not yet ready to gorw up and b an adult and wouldnt mind stretching out my student days by another year!!! My only issue is that if they reject me after i finish post grad then i will have missed the boat and be stuck what to do next!! Also finances worry me as im already in debt on my undergrad course.
Can anyone offer words of advice, sorry 4 rambling!! :p:
Reply 1
it a matter of preference.
If u enjoy study and are still motivated then u should do another extra year for the masters.
Its a tough question though.
If u are positive that u will get employed into that company then i wouldn't do a masters.

Most companies wish to employ students and wish to train them as well so u will work for that company for many years and stay employed.
Doing a masters might make the company think that u know everything so they might hire another person.

Doing a masters gives u career choices higher in the career ladder also.

So if u dont mind studying for another year then i would go for a masters.
One thing you should keep in mind is that the economy in the UK will probably be getting worse over the next few years, so it might be more difficult to get a job if you stay for another year of study.

It would be a smart move to take the job, since you seem to be happy there. Work for a few years, pay off some debt, then if you really want to go back to school you could do an MSc or MBA. And if you're lucky, your company might even pay for some of it.
Reply 3
evilcitizen
One thing you should keep in mind is that the economy in the UK will probably be getting worse over the next few years, so it might be more difficult to get a job if you stay for another year of study.

It would be a smart move to take the job, since you seem to be happy there. Work for a few years, pay off some debt, then if you really want to go back to school you could do an MSc or MBA. And if you're lucky, your company might even pay for some of it.

I'd go for the job (for the reasons above), you can always do the masters at a later date and yes your company may well help with the costs of it or you could do it part time...
Reply 4
yes i agree that mayb getting some experience is a good idea, and then go on to do a masters. but its up to u of course. but the other day i read a letter sent into the careers section of paper, and this girl had done 3 yrs B.A , then went on to do 2 masters, one in PR and cant remember what other was now. but after all that, she still finding it hard to get a job cos she has no expereince and every place she goes to is looking for her to have experience. she is 28 and working in her uncles pub, so thats why she wrote in loooking for help sbout this problem. so after seeing this i think having some work experience is important to have under ur belt as well as academic qualifications
Reply 5
Hey!

Sorry not really related to what you are asking but I'm having the same problem, I'm completely unsure whether to go out into the big wide world or do a HR masters.

Whereabouts do u work that offers the graduate scheme? That seems like a good option if you've got the choice to be honest. I really need something like that, a bit of experience, be it paid or not.

Where are u thinking of doing the masters?

x
Reply 6
If it was me then after ur graduation, u start finding a job. If u do get a job then i would stick with it(if it is a job u really like/want to do).
If after 6 months and still no luck then u might as well get better qualified to increase ur chances.

Also u can do post graduate study when ever u like whether its 5 years or 20 years after your graduation so it doesnt really matter.
Omg, this is EXACTLY what I was thinking this morning after a phone call I made inquiring about physio postgrad, lol.

I mean I'm so keen on becomming a physio, but when I found out the workload involved in this 2nd degree, plus the price (like $20 000 per year!!! wtf?? :rolleyes: :eek: I swear she must've made a mistake over the phone!), I began to have 2nd thoughts :redface:

But yeah I like what people have said here, so I might work for a bit and see if I really like it anyway (with using the science degree I'm about to graduate from). Then if I feel I'm stuck in a dead end/or just want more options I'll prolly pick up the guts to go ahead and handle the physio one.

I dunno coz, I have all the qualifications so I know I'll get accepted, but it's just the case of being bothered :biggrin:
Reply 8
danni_bella83
Omg, this is EXACTLY what I was thinking this morning after a phone call I made inquiring about physio postgrad, lol.

I mean I'm so keen on becomming a physio, but when I found out the workload involved in this 2nd degree, plus the price (like $20 000 per year!!! wtf?? :rolleyes: :eek: I swear she must've made a mistake over the phone!), I began to have 2nd thoughts :redface:

But yeah I like what people have said here, so I might work for a bit and see if I really like it anyway (with using the science degree I'm about to graduate from). Then if I feel I'm stuck in a dead end/or just want more options I'll prolly pick up the guts to go ahead and handle the physio one.

I dunno coz, I have all the qualifications so I know I'll get accepted, but it's just the case of being bothered :biggrin:

would it not be cheaper to come to the UK? Fees for a post-grad in England are only 3k per year......they're paid for by the NHS (although I'm not sure if they are if you are a foreign student)
JackieS
would it not be cheaper to come to the UK? Fees for a post-grad in England are only 3k per year......they're paid for by the NHS (although I'm not sure if they are if you are a foreign student)
Really? That's a lot cheaper than the quote which was read to me this morning if I were to study it over here :biggrin:

Anyway I've yet to confirm whether that's the exact price or not (20k), but thanks for the information :smile: All of this is proving very useful for me atm :cool:
Reply 10
I think you'd need to pay international fees over here which are pretty steep, from memory £12k a year but I may be wrong...you'd have to check with the Uni's...

Also, don't just do Physio on a whim or because you don't know what else to do, unless your heart is in it I wouldn't bother, it's such a tough profession if your not sure about it don't do it :smile:
SamJL
Also, don't just do Physio on a whim or because you don't know what else to do, unless your heart is in it I wouldn't bother, it's such a tough profession if your not sure about it don't do it :smile:
Oh no, I defo wanna do it!!! :smile: I'm heaps keen - and I'd prefer the atmosphere to that of an office-type job that would bore me no end :frown: I've wanted to be a physio for about two years now, but it's only this year (2005) that I'm actually doing something about it, as I've almost finished my BSc.

I'll prolly be doing it (the course) post-grad at either Adelaide Uni or University of Canberra - and possibly QLD, but I'm gonna have to ask about pre-requisites and stuff 1st for the latter uni b/c they do things differently in the north... of Australia :p:

Thx everyone, and BTW cool thread,

DB_x

Latest

Trending

Trending