The Student Room Group

Can I get into actuarial profession with a Music degree...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by m:)ckel
I actually kind of liked CT5 by the end, though I'm not sure I could cope with familiarising myself with all the notation and taking that exam again.

I'm planning to watch some tennis the day after results so that could be pretty hit and miss as well.

Especially is Andy Murray is playing Nicolas Mahut again :tongue:
Reply 601
Original post by JohnnySPal
I have to start studying for CA1 soon. Not looking forward to it. CT5 is horribly boring, though.

Results in two weeks' time. I'll probably be on a train to Devon for a long weekend with the lady, so obviously I'm going to fail miserably and she's going to hate me for the whole weekend :colonhash:

CA1 sounds like the devil's work, do not envy you.

My only plan is to get drunk before the results actually come out in an attempt to shield myself from the pain. Also to not bother checking myself - that way, if I get congratulatory texts I will know it's good, and if there's silence I can assume the worst. Also, someone is bound to tell me how I did.

Wish I had a lady :cry: Not my first choice of gender, but beggars can't be choosers.

(Bit drunk.)
Original post by Jelkin
CA1 sounds like the devil's work, do not envy you.

My only plan is to get drunk before the results actually come out in an attempt to shield myself from the pain. Also to not bother checking myself - that way, if I get congratulatory texts I will know it's good, and if there's silence I can assume the worst. Also, someone is bound to tell me how I did.

Wish I had a lady :cry: Not my first choice of gender, but beggars can't be choosers.

(Bit drunk.)

This made me laugh so hard I think ice cream is stuck in my nose. Thanks for that!
Reply 603
Original post by wanderlust.xx
This made me laugh so hard I think ice cream is stuck in my nose. Thanks for that!

I aim to please :bhangra:

Don't waste the ice cream though.
Reply 604
Hello,

Just wondering, does anyone work in the Towers Watson in Manchester?

I have a few questions about the company and the general area.

Thank you.
Reply 605
For actuarial degrees specifically, most firms do require a mathematical degree, at least for the big four, which could be possibly mitigated by having a certain qualification. However, for other service lines such as Audit, Management Consulting and Tax, it isn't necessary. Prior to where I will be working in September, I worked as a Corporate Governance analyst for around 2 years which gave me a bit more of a financial background, but for my degree I did Japanese and Korean as my degree and had no real background in economics or finance, but now I will be starting as a Tax Consultant (Japanese services) at KPMG from this September. If you research the company and role well and intensively, and educate yourself from the basics to the more broad conceptual details of the service line you are applying for, from a knowledge/experience point of view, it is a sufficient level to have to land the job. Any other prior experience you can gain which is in a similar field and has transferable skills towards your desired role is also helpful.
Reply 606
Original post by Eien
For actuarial degrees specifically, most firms do require a mathematical degree, at least for the big four, which could be possibly mitigated by having a certain qualification. However, for other service lines such as Audit, Management Consulting and Tax, it isn't necessary. Prior to where I will be working in September, I worked as a Corporate Governance analyst for around 2 years which gave me a bit more of a financial background, but for my degree I did Japanese and Korean as my degree and had no real background in economics or finance, but now I will be starting as a Tax Consultant (Japanese services) at KPMG from this September. If you research the company and role well and intensively, and educate yourself from the basics to the more broad conceptual details of the service line you are applying for, from a knowledge/experience point of view, it is a sufficient level to have to land the job. Any other prior experience you can gain which is in a similar field and has transferable skills towards your desired role is also helpful.

1) no idea who you are addressing

2) use paragraphs
Original post by Chewwy

2) use paragraphs

Think it's one of those cases where people only read the thread title and respond with either "omg lulz with music degree? no chance bro!" or some really serious advice.
Reply 608
Original post by Chewwy

2) use paragraphs

I was addressing the OP and thought I'd do a "back on topic" post. Couldn't be arsed with reading several or all 33 other topic pages to see why the thread has become more 'chat' like.

Also I think nine lines isn't excessive for one paragraph. :cool:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Eien
I was addressing the OP and thought I'd do a "back on topic" post. Couldn't be arsed with reading several or all 33 other topic pages to see why the thread has become more 'chat' like.

Also I think nine lines isn't excessive for one paragraph. :cool:

Point taken, but the question was answered months, if not years ago. This thread became more of a 'chat' thread because several student actuaries started posting in here. Indeed we have collectively encouraged one person with a non-traditional degree (albeit not music, unlike the OP) to successfully apply for a graduate actuarial role. I'd like to think the previous 33 pages contain an invaluable insight into the world of a student actuary and how to get into an actuarial role

Anyway, back to the much more interesting chat :p:

I've pretty much knocked out work based skills for the last six months, and the requisite review questions, in an evening. They're surprisingly easy to complete, actually! I had what appears to be a BBC Four David Bowie evening on in the background, so I was quite entertained throughout.

Not sure whether to try and backdate to before 2010 though, given that I only need one/three years of experience and I'm not even close to being an associate/fellow member yet. Anyone else got any thoughts? (I hope to be told I've passed my last two CTs next week.)

I'm also not sure what to do next. My plan is to sit CA1 in April next year and pass CA2 in between, but I'm not sure whether to try and also knock out ST8 either in September or April. But then that's all subject to whether I'll need to resit a CT or two in September. GOD this waiting for results malarkey is mighty frustrating.
Reply 610
Point taken, but the question was answered months, if not years ago. This thread became more of a 'chat' thread because several student actuaries started posting in here. Indeed we have collectively encouraged one person with a non-traditional degree (albeit not music, unlike the OP) to successfully apply for a graduate actuarial role. I'd like to think the previous 33 pages contain an invaluable insight into the world of a student actuary and how to get into an actuarial role

Anyway, back to the much more interesting chat :p:

I've pretty much knocked out work based skills for the last six months, and the requisite review questions, in an evening. They're surprisingly easy to complete, actually! I had what appears to be a BBC Four David Bowie evening on in the background, so I was quite entertained throughout.

Not sure whether to try and backdate to before 2010 though, given that I only need one/three years of experience and I'm not even close to being an associate/fellow member yet. Anyone else got any thoughts? (I hope to be told I've passed my last two CTs next week.)

I'm also not sure what to do next. My plan is to sit CA1 in April next year and pass CA2 in between, but I'm not sure whether to try and also knock out ST8 either in September or April. But then that's all subject to whether I'll need to resit a CT or two in September. GOD this waiting for results malarkey is mighty frustrating.

I think people should look at the date of the original post when they see that the thread is so long!

I keep meaning to get started on WBS so that I don't become one of those people who leaves them all until the last minute, but that's not going so well. I should just man up and get on with it really.

I reckon you should ask someone at work about that, or failing that email the Profession - I've wondered myself, as I'm fairly sure I will take more than three years to pass all my exams!

Results on Thursday :afraid: This is a stressful week as I also need two people to move into my flat in a week's time as the other tenants dropped out :colonhash: You don't know anyone who fancies living in zone 1 in east London and has the budget for it do you? My flatmate is moving to Woking with his lady friend and I am moving in with other work types, but we are slightly concerned that we won't find anyone ... had two viewings this weekend but both cancelled as they'd found something else.

Do you have any other CTs to resit? If not maybe you should try doing something else in September (I would because otherwise I wouldn't get any study days!). That being said, if you haven't started already you might find it hard?
Original post by Jelkin
I think people should look at the date of the original post when they see that the thread is so long!

I keep meaning to get started on WBS so that I don't become one of those people who leaves them all until the last minute, but that's not going so well. I should just man up and get on with it really.

I reckon you should ask someone at work about that, or failing that email the Profession - I've wondered myself, as I'm fairly sure I will take more than three years to pass all my exams!

Results on Thursday :afraid: This is a stressful week as I also need two people to move into my flat in a week's time as the other tenants dropped out :colonhash: You don't know anyone who fancies living in zone 1 in east London and has the budget for it do you? My flatmate is moving to Woking with his lady friend and I am moving in with other work types, but we are slightly concerned that we won't find anyone ... had two viewings this weekend but both cancelled as they'd found something else.

Do you have any other CTs to resit? If not maybe you should try doing something else in September (I would because otherwise I wouldn't get any study days!). That being said, if you haven't started already you might find it hard?

I don't think I'm going to go back, or if I do I won't go back to more than June last year (i.e. Accrue a year of WBS up until today). It seems pointless as I highly doubt I'll have passed all the CA, ST and SA exams in 18 months' time, and their guide docs suggest you have to continue building up a log even once you've built up three years of skill. Plus, I can't really remember what I was doing two years ago in enough detail to formally document it!

I reckon I could just about squeeze in ST8 before September as I'm a GI pricing analyst by trade, but that would then leave me with only ~7 months to study CA1, which would leave me in the same position as before. In some ways I wish I hadn't decided to take a short break (I haven't started studying again since the last exam sesh). I might wait until Thursday - to see whether I've passed my last two CTs - and decide then.

It's easy for me to say as I've become slight desensitised to the process, but there's no need to worry. You'll have almost certainly done better than you expected, unless you had especially disastrous exams.

I'd be tempted if I had a job in the city rather than the the outskirts of London. I don't know anyone, I'm afraid. I'm sure you'll fill rooms no sweat in a zone one place. What's the rent like in your area?

Also, loving the six points worth of negative rep I received because of a clearly facetious comment I made at teh Jelkorz. I hope you pass with flying colours on Thursday xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Reply 612
I don't think I'm going to go back, or if I do I won't go back to more than June last year (i.e. Accrue a year of WBS up until today). It seems pointless as I highly doubt I'll have passed all the CA, ST and SA exams in 18 months' time, and their guide docs suggest you have to continue building up a log even once you've built up three years of skill. Plus, I can't really remember what I was doing two years ago in enough detail to formally document it!

I reckon I could just about squeeze in ST8 before September as I'm a GI pricing analyst by trade, but that would then leave me with only ~7 months to study CA1, which would leave me in the same position as before. In some ways I wish I hadn't decided to take a short break (I haven't started studying again since the last exam sesh). I might wait until Thursday - to see whether I've passed my last two CTs - and decide then.

It's easy for me to say as I've become slight desensitised to the process, but there's no need to worry. You'll have almost certainly done better than you expected, unless you had especially disastrous exams.

I'd be tempted if I had a job in the city rather than the the outskirts of London. I don't know anyone, I'm afraid. I'm sure you'll fill rooms no sweat in a zone one place. What's the rent like in your area?

Also, loving the six points worth of negative rep I received because of a clearly facetious comment I made at teh Jelkorz. I hope you pass with flying colours on Thursday xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dang, I didn't even notice! I'm sure you realise it wasn't from me, although I did once pledge to rep you every two weeks forever until I die (or forget), and I did not specify positive or negative :u:

Yeah, probably best to wait until Thursday. I hope I do better than expected! Particularly with CT3, as I recall coming out and thinking that I probably hadn't passed. CT2 was a really odd one and because everyone found it hard it was difficult to assess my own performance. If I don't pass CT1 I will just be really embarrassed.

You'd think we'd fill the rooms no sweat, but we've been trying to find people for a while! I don't think it helps that our landlord has put the rent up. We had two girls who were mega keen and seemed really nice, but they said they couldn't sign until today, but then this morning we got a text 45 minutes after they were meant to turn up saying they'd got terrible news and had to fly back to India today and might not even come back. V suspicious but you can't get mad at them in case it's true. Oh well, guess I'll keep slogging ...
Reply 613
Original post by Chewwy

2) use paragraphs

Gotta say, it doesn't take a genius to work out who he's trying to address.
Original post by Jelkin

Hey Jelkin, let me know the details, might be interested if it's close to Northern/Jubilee line. Have you put it up on Spareroom.co.uk? Lettings usually go quickly on there.
Reply 615
Original post by Tokyoround
Hey Jelkin, let me know the details, might be interested if it's close to Northern/Jubilee line. Have you put it up on Spareroom.co.uk? Lettings usually go quickly on there.

I'm afraid it's not really - it's close to district/circle/hammersmith & city.

We only put it on SpareRoom really recently as we had been relying on Gumtree - mistake! SpareRoom seems quite a lot better. Stress stress stress.

I have set up a pre-exam results mash-up event at work (as in, I set it up at work. It would take place elsewhere). Might help ...
Original post by Jelkin
I'm afraid it's not really - it's close to district/circle/hammersmith & city.

We only put it on SpareRoom really recently as we had been relying on Gumtree - mistake! SpareRoom seems quite a lot better. Stress stress stress.

I have set up a pre-exam results mash-up event at work (as in, I set it up at work. It would take place elsewhere). Might help ...

Yeahhh someone at my work set up an evening of beverages and bowling. Woulda taken my mind off it all a treat, were I not travelling for hours on a train with nothing to do but be jittery and get myself worked up. Mash-up sounds good. Make sure the passers buy the failers lots of soothing booze.
Yes if you can play guitar

Troll troll troll troll :biggrin:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 618
Yeahhh someone at my work set up an evening of beverages and bowling. Woulda taken my mind off it all a treat, were I not travelling for hours on a train with nothing to do but be jittery and get myself worked up. Mash-up sounds good. Make sure the passers buy the failers lots of soothing booze.

Unfortunately the day after exams there is a traditional pub trip at lunch involving all actuaries, and the passers fit the entire bill! So I don't think I'd make them pay at the mash-up if I were a failer. Luckily Thursday is the day we get paid though :u:

Sorry to hear about your train trip tedium. Maybe watch some hilarious stand-up or something if possible? Or play something addictive like Angry Birds.
Reply 619
Original post by Jelkin

Hey, I might be interested in that place. I'm a fellow actuarial student, waiting on CT6 & CT8 results (:afraid:) this Thurs. Have a few posts buried in this thread somewhere in fact, and always find myself drawn back here every so often- usually around exam time, or exam results time!

Can you drop a link to the spareroom ad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending