The Student Room Group

Optometry career prospects

Hi, Ive applied to study Optometry for 2010 entry and have got 4 unconditional offers so far ( im a gap year applicant ). However I have heard negative things about optometry which is getting me down. For example there are now fewer jobs as it is becoming more and more saturated and so it is difficult to get a job when you are qualified and also the salary is going down. Is anyone a newly qualified optometrist or does anyone know whether it will be difficult to get a job after qualifying and what is the salary currently like. Also are optometrists well respected at the moment. I really dont want to do a course where it will be hard to get a job afterwards and where the salary will be really low as I have worked extremely hard for my A levels and I managed to get AAB ( As in maths and chem B IN Bio) so I want this hard work to pay off. If this is the case I will consider changing courses to maths since I have always had an interest in maths and have heard the degree boosts very good career prospects.
Reply 1
Starting rate is around 25-30K a year in the bigger chains. Also it is difficult to get a job in most professions at the moment not just optometry, there's no telling what the job situation will be like by the time your finished Uni!
Reply 2
Hey, Im applying to optometry this year too and honestly I am going to do the course no matter what. My experience tells me to just do what you want to do and you will be okay. :smile:
Reply 3
zaf1991
Hey, Im applying to optometry this year too and honestly I am going to do the course no matter what. My experience tells me to just do what you want to do and you will be okay. :smile:

Good attitude to have!!! I completely agree :biggrin:
Reply 4
Thanks for your replies guys, they really helped.

Latest