The Student Room Group

PPE

Hey :smile:

I'm in year 11 and thinking towards the future...

I aspire to study PPE at hopefully Oxford but obviously thats still a long way away. I would appreciate some advice on my post-16 option that would be good for PPE. I'm thinking of taking:

Mathematics (Cambridge pre-u)
Economics (Cambridge pre-u)
Further Mathematics (Cambridge pre-u)
Government & Politics (OCR)

Are those appropriate subject choices? :confused:

Also, is work experience important for PPE? I've already done 2 weeks work experience in Year 10 working for a parliamentary researcher and my MP at the House of Commons. Also, I worked one week with my dad's accountant. What do you think of my present work history?:confused: Do you have any other suggestions?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1

Replace one of mathematics or politics with philosophy, duhh...

Aside from that, yeah fine. Just get the grades, write a good PS and apply.
Reply 2
TWF

I'd replace politics with philosophy.
Reply 3
Everything your doing is great but have u considered doing history or philosphy instead of further maths?
Reply 4
TWF

Don't replace maths!!! Maths is the soul requirement to do ppe at most unis!
Reply 5
TWF

Uh no...

...Your subjects are really great. (And if you have Politics, why replace it with Philosophy?)

Maths is WAY more important than any three of the PPE components...you'd be a much more competitive applicant for Oxford with maths and FM. Not with all of the PPE subjects...

...in fact, there prefer you not to have all 3 as they want to teach you when you're there. You need maths though to suceed at Economics!

What is key, is keeping up to date with current affairs and getting involved in extra-curricular things which show you're keen, e.g. subject-based societies, debating, seminars, lectures...

Subject choices is not that important for PPE at all. It's your potential! I've just got an offer for PPE at Oxford and I don't do Politics or Philosophy, and study Maths, Physics and Chemistry (and Economics) at HL in the IB!

Good luck!

EDIT: Also, just on work exp. Don't think it's too important but if you have even the smallest releveant work exp. and you can say something worthwhile about it on your PS then that can't hurt! So, in that case, the work with the parliamentary researcher is great.
ideal is probably maths, history, economics, a language
Reply 7
goats
Don't replace maths!!! Maths is the soul requirement to do ppe at most unis!

I gave him a choice, whats your :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow: problem?
Reply 8
TWF
I gave him a choice, whats your :snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow::snow: problem?

You did suggest replacing FM maths though and that's what would make him one of the most competitive applicants!

And there's no point switching politics for philosophy (unless you have a distinct preference)! One or the other's fine...
Reply 9
nightrider94
Hey :smile:

I'm in year 11 and thinking towards the future...

I aspire to study PPE at hopefully Oxford but obviously thats still a long way away. I would appreciate some advice on my post-16 option that would be good for PPE. I'm thinking of taking:

Mathematics (Cambridge pre-u)
Economics (Cambridge pre-u)
Further Mathematics (Cambridge pre-u)
Government & Politics (OCR)

Are those appropriate subject choices? :confused:

Also, is work experience important for PPE? I've already done 2 weeks work experience in Year 10 working for a parliamentary researcher and my MP at the House of Commons. Also, I worked one week with my dad's accountant. What do you think of my present work history?:confused: Do you have any other suggestions?

Graphix is the only other person to reply to you here that you should listen to, I get so fed up with people who have no clue what they're talking about giving advice on Oxford PPE applications. Applying for PPE you need to chose decent subjects preferably with Maths and an essay-writing subject, you need to get decent grades and you need to care about the subject (i.e. keep up to date). There is no "perfect" set of subjects you need, or rather there are lots of equally good choices, and work experience will only be useful to add some interest to your personal statement and to show you are applying for a course you actually want to study. These things you seem to have covered.

In terms of what you can do to improve, basically what Graphix said. Keep up to date with current affairs, try to discuss politics and other issues, and if you can try to engage with politics somehow. You could join a political party and help campaign for them, join a group that is involved in campaigning or go on demonstrations for things you believe in. But this isn't really necessary it just makes your PS more interesting and in a general sense its good to be involved in politics. What you need to know though is that you're doing fine right now, nothing needs to be changed from what you've said.
What type of work experience would one need to attain?
Reply 11
theseeker
What type of work experience would one need to attain?

None is needed, but useful things will be around the subject area. Working for an MP is a good idea, or working for a charity on campaigning for example, anything you can connect to either P, P or E.
Reply 12
TWF

U gave him appualing advice
Reply 13
Leviathon
Graphix is the only other person to reply to you here that you should listen to, I get so fed up with people who have no clue what they're talking about giving advice on Oxford PPE applications. Applying for PPE you need to chose decent subjects preferably with Maths and an essay-writing subject, you need to get decent grades and you need to care about the subject (i.e. keep up to date). There is no "perfect" set of subjects you need, or rather there are lots of equally good choices, and work experience will only be useful to add some interest to your personal statement and to show you are applying for a course you actually want to study. These things you seem to have covered.

In terms of what you can do to improve, basically what Graphix said. Keep up to date with current affairs, try to discuss politics and other issues, and if you can try to engage with politics somehow. You could join a political party and help campaign for them, join a group that is involved in campaigning or go on demonstrations for things you believe in. But this isn't really necessary it just makes your PS more interesting and in a general sense its good to be involved in politics. What you need to know though is that you're doing fine right now, nothing needs to be changed from what you've said.

Thank you! :biggrin:
Reply 14
goats
U gave him appualing advice

He only needs one maths and he doesn't need politics, therefore I gave him a choice. Stop dick-jumping me.

Graphix
You did suggest replacing FM maths though and that's what would make him one of the most competitive applicants!

And there's no point switching politics for philosophy (unless you have a distinct preference)! One or the other's fine...

I said either of the mathses or politics. I didn't say FM.
Reply 15
TWF
He only needs one maths and he doesn't need politics, therefore I gave him a choice. Stop dick-jumping me.

Okay TWF, but you need maths A level before you can do FM, so I therefore assumed you were saying drop FM in place of philosophy...
Reply 16
TWF

He doesn't need philosophy either. Ffs, what is it that makes you qualified to tell people what subjects they should and shouldn't be doing to apply for PPE?
Reply 17
Leviathon
He doesn't need philosophy either. Ffs, what is it that makes you qualified to tell people what subjects they should and shouldn't be doing to apply for PPE?

Well, nothing tbf. You got me.
Reply 18
Graphix
Uh no...

...Your subjects are really great. (And if you have Politics, why replace it with Philosophy?)

Maths is WAY more important than any three of the PPE components...you'd be a much more competitive applicant for Oxford with maths and FM. Not with all of the PPE subjects...

...in fact, there prefer you not to have all 3 as they want to teach you when you're there. You need maths though to suceed at Economics!

What is key, is keeping up to date with current affairs and getting involved in extra-curricular things which show you're keen, e.g. subject-based societies, debating, seminars, lectures...

Subject choices is not that important for PPE at all. It's your potential! I've just got an offer for PPE at Oxford and I don't do Politics or Philosophy, and study Maths, Physics and Chemistry (and Economics) at HL in the IB!

Good luck!

EDIT: Also, just on work exp. Don't think it's too important but if you have even the smallest releveant work exp. and you can say something worthwhile about it on your PS then that can't hurt! So, in that case, the work with the parliamentary researcher is great.

Agreed. Furthermore OP wants to keep in mind the rules regarding blacklist subjects. No more than one (pol and philo would make two) and might also want to consider that FM is not always regarded as highly if it's alongside maths and only one other subject. In short Fm, Maths and two blacklist subjects aren't the best choice OP can make. OP I'd advise you to look on the oxford website PPE page. They have recommended history and maths. Perhaps you can keep your original 4 choices but substite FM with history.
Reply 19
Im Looking into this as well. My subjects are Maths, Economics, Politics and Geography. Good choices for PPE?

Latest