The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

viviki
I don't have a profile on my cv because imo thats what the covering letter is for.

I don't either - I wanted to slim it down to a single side of A4 and work experience, education and skills were more than enough.
Reply 81
PQ
A Personal Profile is supposed to sum up who you are and where you are looking to go in the future.
A Cover Letter is supposed to explain your reasons for applying, if responding to an advert then the job applied for (and where you saw the advert) and why you think you'd be right for the job.

Thanks for the explanation.
Reply 82
I just got rejected by Claire's accessories. What an insult! Have you SEEN the tarts who work there? I must not be bitchy enough . Sigh.
Reply 83
i've had loads of rejections:frown:..for paid work, and volutary work:frown:
Reply 84
Got another rejection yesterday, 2 interviews, 2 rejections :frown: Hoping for another interview next week at some company about 10 mins ago. I'm well disappointed, just been offered an interview on the phone for this amazing IT apprenticeship, I got on holiday on the interview/assessment day, I'm so disappointed, I well wanted to be considered for the job.
trev
I got a rejection from one of the two jobs I applied too. :frown: However, the job agency will keep my CV for other positions, and will contact me if other jobs will accept me. Currently, I am waiting for my second job that I applied to, to reply to me. I hope the second job that I applied to accept me.

Anybody else got rejection from jobs (e.g. jobs after university, summer job, gap year job, etc...)?

I've had three rejections so far and no job offers. It's really depressing, especially as both my previous jobs I got straight after the interviews. I'm finding it really hard to find a job, I think because it's the wrong time of year. I've just applied to another and am about to send of yet another application form for another. Getting sick of filling in application forms!! :mad:
Reply 86
I really don't mind job rejections, a lot of rejections are not because you can't do the job but another candidate might be judged to fit in with the team better. As a result you probably wouldn't have wanted job anyway.
Reply 87
emma155
Got another rejection yesterday, 2 interviews, 2 rejections :frown: Hoping for another interview next week at some company about 10 mins ago. I'm well disappointed, just been offered an interview on the phone for this amazing IT apprenticeship, I got on holiday on the interview/assessment day, I'm so disappointed, I well wanted to be considered for the job.

I got one rejection so far. I am waiting for my second job to reply. It seems that they ignored me. I am assuming it's an rejection. :frown: O well. Have you applied for more IT apprenticeships?

I hope your interview will go well for your other job in some company.

Eeyore
I've had three rejections so far and no job offers. It's really depressing, especially as both my previous jobs I got straight after the interviews. I'm finding it really hard to find a job, I think because it's the wrong time of year. I've just applied to another and am about to send of yet another application form for another. Getting sick of filling in application forms!! :mad:

Yeah, it's hard to find a job and in the wrong time of the year. It's the only time that students can work, as students will go back to school in September and can't work weekdays anymore. In my case, I am taking a gap year, so I guess I could apply after the summer. Tommorow I'm going out to see if they have vaccancies over the summer. If there are, that would be good. If not, I hope they would accept me after the summer or something like that.

Did you call them to see why you got rejected? For me, I didn't call them yet. I would do that maybe tommorow.

hener
I really don't mind job rejections, a lot of rejections are not because you can't do the job but another candidate might be judged to fit in with the team better. As a result you probably wouldn't have wanted job anyway.

Indeed. In my case, there were higher calibre staff and and overwhelming response to the job!
trev
Yeah, it's hard to find a job and in the wrong time of the year. It's the only time that students can work, as students will go back to school in September and can't work weekdays anymore. In my case, I am taking a gap year, so I guess I could apply after the summer. Tommorow I'm going out to see if they have vaccancies over the summer. If there are, that would be good. If not, I hope they would accept me after the summer or something like that.

Did you call them to see why you got rejected? For me, I didn't call them yet. I would do that maybe tommorow.

The first one was over-subscribed and there were people with better qualifications than me. The second one I apparently didn't seem keen enough on, which is ridiculous- I couldn't have been more enthusiastic without looking like a complete fraud! That really annoyed me, because I'd thought that the interview had gone really well. The other one I didn't even get an interview. :frown:

I'm having a gap year too, so I guess it's not so urgent. I'm going to Italy at the weekend though and it would have been nice to have earnt some money for souvenirs and stuff. I'm registered with three job agencies and still nothing. When you register they give you the impression that they can find you work to start the next day, but only one has come back to me, with only one job! Unbelievable! :mad:
Why you taking a Gap Year Trev?
Reply 90
Eeyore
The first one was over-subscribed and there were people with better qualifications than me. The second one I apparently didn't seem keen enough on, which is ridiculous- I couldn't have been more enthusiastic without looking like a complete fraud! That really annoyed me, because I'd thought that the interview had gone really well. The other one I didn't even get an interview. :frown:

I'm having a gap year too, so I guess it's not so urgent. I'm going to Italy at the weekend though and it would have been nice to have earnt some money for souvenirs and stuff. I'm registered with three job agencies and still nothing. When you register they give you the impression that they can find you work to start the next day, but only one has come back to me, with only one job! Unbelievable! :mad:

I think the first one I applied for (got a rejection for it) has around 50 applicants applied for that job (found that on the job agency website. By the way, I applied through a job agency website)! They kept my CV for further reference, so incase there is a job that I applied that is similar to the one I preivously applied for, they would contact me about it.

I really want to start before August if they employ me, so I could get a head start on earning money instead of starting from September.
Reply 91
Eeyore

Never wait for an agency to get back to you. If you want work you have to phone them every morning as soon as they get into the office. That way you cantch them as they're going through the days requests for staff.

Waiting for them to call you results in not a lot.
trev
I think the first one I applied for (got a rejection for it) has around 50 applicants applied for that job (found that on the job agency website. By the way, I applied through a job agency website)! They kept my CV for further reference, so incase there is a job that I applied that is similar to the one I preivously applied for, they would contact me about it.

I really want to start before August if they employ me, so I could get a head start on earning money instead of starting from September.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I hate having no money - it's only when you have none that you realise how much you rely on it!

The second job I interviewed for was an admin job in a small company, and they were recruiting from FIVE job agencies just for that one position!! Seems a bit ott?!
Fluffy
Never wait for an agency to get back to you. If you want work you have to phone them every morning as soon as they get into the office. That way you cantch them as they're going through the days requests for staff.

Waiting for them to call you results in not a lot.

So I seem to have found out, indeed... still, I'm not relying solely on the job agencies - I've been applying for jobs I've seen advertised in the local newspapers as well.
Reply 94
trev
I got one rejection so far. I am waiting for my second job to reply. It seems that they ignored me. I am assuming it's an rejection. :frown: O well. Have you applied for more IT apprenticeships?

I hope your interview will go well for your other job in some company.

Thank you. I haven't applied to any more IT apprenticeships. If you assume you got rejected, you should phone the company and ask whether they've considered you for the job or not. Last week I got a phonecall from a training place(which sorts out application process for companies doing apprenticeships) for a job I applied for about 2/3 months ago, start date september, and they've only just started looking at applications, I was really suprised to hear from them, I assumed I got rejected, I'm hoping to hear from the company this week whether I've got an interview or not. Good luck with your job hunting! :smile:
Reply 95
emma155
Thank you. I haven't applied to any more IT apprenticeships. If you assume you got rejected, you should phone the company and ask whether they've considered you for the job or not. Last week I got a phonecall from a training place(which sorts out application process for companies doing apprenticeships) for a job I applied for about 2/3 months ago, start date september, and they've only just started looking at applications, I was really suprised to hear from them, I assumed I got rejected, I'm hoping to hear from the company this week whether I've got an interview or not. Good luck with your job hunting! :smile:

I can't call the company as on the job agency website that i applied online (fish4jobs), didn't say the company name.

Thanks for the luck.
Reply 96
Those big sites like Fish4Jobs are a bit useless really, I've not got a single response from any of the jobs I applied for via them. From my university careers department I got one part time job and have an interview for a full time job.

The job centre is not too bad if the job is advertised correctly but they are famous for making mistakes. At least most the jobs advertised with them seem to be genuine though.
Reply 97
I had 4 interviews and a temp job through fish 4 jobs a few years ago so I wouldn't knock it.
Yep, fish4jobs has worked for me too...
Reply 99
Eeyore
Getting sick of filling in application forms!! :mad:

I know! Me too! I wish I had a big ink stamp that would print my GCSE/AS/A Level grades, I'm getting so fed up writing them up!

Latest

Trending

Trending