The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 1
Have you thought about trying to change halls? Maybe to self-catered so you'll have space outside of your bedroom? It might also be a chance to sort of start again and you might settle better.
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 2
Also, out of interest, which halls are you in?
Reply 3
What year are you in? If you're in your first year then there's a possibility that you'll be able to transfer to a different university for second year entry.
jazzyjelly
I'm really not happy studying at Exeter, I would like to transfer to a uni so that I can live at home, but I'm not sure if this is possible part way through the year?

A few things really, not having a lounge or kitchen area being in catered accomodation really gets to me.

Being unable to pop home when I want to upsets me so much more than I ever thought it would (im about 3 hours away from home)

I have some good friends here, but I'm just not settled, and theres a constant nagging feeling in my head that I wont be staying here to graduate, I'm not remotely proud of being here and I know I should be.

I thought I was getting more settled, but having been home for christmas, it was heart wrenching to come back.

Do I need to give it more time and man up seeing what it might be like in houses next year? Or cut my losses and try to get accepted somewhere else where I can live at home?

Its driving me up the wall, I dont want to reapply through ucas because I'll be 21 by the time I start. :frown:

Any thoughts?

What course do you do? I think your best shot would be to move into the second year at another uni. Which unis are closer to home? Check if you have the A-level grades required for your course at those unis and then e-mail them to explain your situation.
Reply 5
To transfer for second year entry you have to apply via UCAS and the normal deadline still applies (15th Jan) so you've left it a bit late to do that, if you get a move on you can try and meet the deadline though.

I don't think 3 hours is that far away, you can surely go home for a weekend every now and again. Not having a kitchen and lounge area will change in your second year when you live in a house rather than uni flats so that problem won't exist next year any way.
Reply 6
A lot of people find it really hard to come back after Christmas in their first year - you really aren't alone in that.

In terms of your accommodation, have you looked into whether you can move into somewhere self-catered? It may be possible, talk to the accommodation office.
Reply 7
If you think about it, it is only 20 weeks you have left here when you'll be in halls. All in all, that isn't very long. Have you joined societies and things? I didn't really go regularly to any society until after Xmas, and it made a huge difference - made loads more friends, and I was out of my flat a lot more. Made the world of difference.

Latest

Trending

Trending