The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
hellohello.
I think it is extremely high. Considering many graduate jobs require 240 then they clearly do not believe that UCAS points are that important.

If you put entry to any university at 300 then you may aswell shut down over half the universities in the country.

Also that would provide an unfair disadvantage for Scottish students. I have BBCCC at higher which is 280 points. Are you saying that I should have missed out on university as the English education system is ran differently and A Levels are worth more points?

Like I said its a matter of opinion. Well we do have too many graduates for jobs, too few people doing practical training (plumbing) to name one, so would shutting down half be such a bad idea?

I have no idea how the scottish education system works.
chap54
Like I said its a matter of opinion. Well we do have too many graduates for jobs, too few people doing practical training (plumbing) to name one, so would shutting down half be such a bad idea?

I have no idea how the scottish education system works.

I think we have too few graduate jobs especially in Scotland where there are about ten graduate jobs lol.

Well the Scottish education system is entirely different if everyone was to get 300 UCAS points in one year they would basically have to get 5 B's. Considering many students struggle adapting from Standard Grade to Higher and some students wait until 6th year to do highers then 300 points is virtually impossible unless you are a straight A Grade student.
Reply 42
There should be a two tier system. One half gets 2 year courses and the other half gets 3 year courses based on MERIT.
Reply 43
YL_LDN
There should be a two tier system. One half gets 2 year courses and the other half gets 3 year courses based on MERIT.

What about those doing 4 or 5 year courses? :biggrin:
No it wasn't. We should probably turn new universities into higher education colleges, and build more of them.
_KilgoreTrout_
What do you think?

Also, if you wanted to do a non-academic degree-equivalent, NVQs and things, where do you go now?

Thanks

much of the output of the poly system was students who graduated with honours degrees, just that the degrees were validated by the CNAA rather than by the institution themselves.

NC and ND and other vocational Level 3 and 4 qualifications is was and remains predominantly in the hands of FE rather than HE with strong links to employers the FE/ HE divide is increasingly blurred especially as BTEC?EdExcel have pushed FE into delivering at level 4 and 5

Foundation Degrees and HNDs also remain in HE sector - often with strong links to employers.
That is another hole in the argument of not letting people with a certain amount of UCAS points into any uni, they would just go to college do an HND and end up in uni.
one of the great ironies of those slagging off 'vocational courses' is that they exclude from that tag a number of vocational courses which have been run in the HE sector for absolutely ages e.g. Medicine, dentistry, pharmacy , law etc ...

but then again it would also require some of the egos to admit that all these professions are just part of their respective teams ... and not prima inter paresor the Orwellian 'all animals are equal, just some are more equal than others '
Reply 48
hellohello.
Can I ask where the thousands of students who have gone to polytechnics this year were suppost to work if they hadn't changed them?

There are no jobs for young people.

You can't say that something that happened years ago was a good idea because it temporarily alleviates an unforeseen problem of the present, ignoring all other effects it's had :rolleyes:
I still think it was a good decision and gives people who do not have a privileged upbringing a chance of going to uni and showing what they are capable.

It is very difficult in school for some people and they do not shine until university.
Reply 50
They should be refocused, the old polytechnics changed back to their old designation and told to offer more technical based subjects, more apprenticeships and the like. Then it allows the older, better Universities to focus more on research and academia, rather than having like 30 ex polytechnics all offering poor quality History (random example) degrees accepting people with 200 UCAS pts.
The thing about all these apprenticeships is you are not encouraged to do them you are encouraged to go to uni.
Ehh, it's not that they were converted to universities is the problem, it's the fact that all these ex-polys suddenly interpreted that move as carte blanche to stop offering a wide range of technical courses and move into pseudo-humanities and non-subjects.

Give them some focus again.

This, pretty much.

I think they should be some form of polytechnics, and be more vocational, and leave arts/humanities/socialsciences/science etc to traditional universities. But I'm not against them being unis, so much.
Reply 53
I believe it was, yes.

Of course, 'university' is just a name, so that itself doesn't matter at all.

However, today's universities, so broad and diverse, combine to make an excellent education system where every individual can study a subject to suit them. Since the ex-poly universities came about, the range and diversity of courses has proven to be hugely successful, in my eyes - there are so many courses and combinations allowing EVERYONE to find something to suit them.
Reply 54
cpj1987
I believe it was, yes.

Of course, 'university' is just a name, so that itself doesn't matter at all.

However, today's universities, so broad and diverse, combine to make an excellent education system where every individual can study a subject to suit them. Since the ex-poly universities came about, the range and diversity of courses has proven to be hugely successful, in my eyes - there are so many courses and combinations allowing EVERYONE to find something to suit them.

You really think our education system is "excellent"? I've yet to come across an aspect of it I wouldn't consider shoddy.
Reply 55
Planto
You really think our education system is "excellent"? I've yet to come across an aspect of it I wouldn't consider shoddy.

I certainly think it is at university level, yes.
I think it's terrible at any earlier level, but as I say, the range of courses at least make university study infinitely better.
Reply 56
Aphotic Cosmos
Ehh, it's not that they were converted to universities is the problem, it's the fact that all these ex-polys suddenly interpreted that move as carte blanche to stop offering a wide range of technical courses and move into pseudo-humanities and non-subjects.

Give them some focus again.

What are pseudo-humanities?
Reply 57
cpj1987
I think it's terrible at any earlier level, but as I say, the range of courses at least make university study infinitely better.

Really, because I've been to two universities. One was absolutely terrible every respect, the other is poorly organised and seems to be more concerned with league tables than education.
Reply 58
hellohello.
I don't even know what a 'vocational course' is nor am I interested.

You don't know what 'vocational' and 'course' mean? :eek: 'University' education for you.
Reply 59
cpj1987

At least make university study infinitely better!? Oh-oh someone went to a poly . . .

Latest

Trending

Trending