The Student Room Group

rubbish boyfriend

Scroll to see replies

Anonymous

am i right to be annoyed? should i say something to him or just let it slide? do i wait around until he's finished watching the football then see him? or do i just go out with someone else?

For me, important football matches you can't really see again, they are kinda like really good gigs or even better, they only come around like 10 times a year. That said I don't know if I'd cancel something important on my girlfriend, but only big football fans can understand why it is such an important thing to them because they can relate, noone else can.
punkyrocker
Your points might have some backing if he wasn't cancelling on a pre-organised date to watch football without her... If he was planning to watch the game and she kept pestering him to miss it for her, and they hadn't planned something for a week, then I'd agree with you.

The OP isn't more interested in her wants than his, she's said that if he offered to miss the game for her she wouldn't ask him to - it's the way he's approached this, by just telling her that he's not going to be seeing her as a football game is on telly, and cancelling on her.

Like I suggested, it's possible to turn this round and turn the football game itself into a date situation for you, OP. Try that, if it'd make you feel better/happier? :h:

Hit the nail on the head. It just sounds like poor communication. OP maybe he thought you were busy revising and wouldn't want to deal with talking about social plans. There are a million reasons why he might not have told you sooner or whatever, talk to him and tell him you were looking forward to spending time with him alot. It might just make him realise that he is that important to you. And that'll make him feel good.
you should of offered to contribute for the date

Football FTW!!!!
Yeah I'd be upset too OP..but I think guys think a bit differently to us..

This way he gets to watch the game AND spend time with you the next day...which I guess to him is the 'rational' thing to do. I don't think guys realise how much little things like this upset their girlfriends..he probably isn't aware how much it has upset you. How long have you been together? Iv'e been with my boyfriend for 3 years and it sounds like something he'd do..he doesn't do it to be nasty, he just figures that we love each-other and takes things for granted a bit sometimes.

could you not go with him to watch the game (have a few drinks to make it more interesting! :P) ..and then organise the date for another night? He might appreciate the fact that you're taking an interest in something that obviously means a lot to him.
Reply 44
Football is more than a game - a football club represent the area it is in and the ethical values of the people that live in the area - most clubs have deep links with the people of the area it represents - a lot of the player from my local club are heavily involved in community and youth schemes. Supporting a club is a lot of people is more than watching a game - it is taking pride in who you are and where you live.

Attending a games is thus important to people as it is a form of taking pride ones identity - as well as having fun time with family and friends.

Maybe you should go and watch game with him and experience the atmosphere.. you may even enjoy it. (Watching live and watching it on TV are 2 totally different experiences).

Football is the male equivalent of shopping for females I guess...
Reply 45
didgeridoo12uk
how on earth do you come to that conclusion

i'd be hugely pissed off. its only ******* football,

Simple, i agree u should appreciate a relationship, but u cnt just ignore football...
Reply 46
no but if you do get pissed off then he reserves the right to curbstomp you. chill out, dont make an issue out of it
Reply 47
Your boyfriend is the MAN !!

:rofl:
Anonymous
i finish my exams on wednesday and my boyfriend was taking me out as a treat for a meal and the cinema, just because i've been quite stressed and worked really hard and we've not had much time together recently as he's had exams too. i've been really looking forward to this, which he knows. it's been the kind of thing i've been able to say ugh i don't want to do this last exam but oh yay when its over i can do that with my boyfriend :o:

however, he's just cancelled on me because theres a football game on that he forgot about. it's the team he supports and it's a very big game and normally i wouldnt mind but i got so excited about our date and it's like he's chosen football over me (actually, that's exactly what he's done) and now i just feel a bit done. he was very apologetic and promised to make it up to me. but i can't help but feel quite annoyed that i'm going to have to find something else to do now. very few of my friends have finished their exams by then so it's not like i have many options.

am i right to be annoyed? should i say something to him or just let it slide? do i wait around until he's finished watching the football then see him? or do i just go out with someone else?

UMMM. LOL. do you realise that your boyfriends posted a thread about the same tpic on TSR, just obviously from his point of view?!:yep:
Reply 49
Go the pub and watch the match with him (just don't be an annoying 'talking' girl whilst the match is on if you aren't actually talking about anything football specific - commenting on someones fashion sense/hotness is not cool!) and then go to the cinema after the match finishes, although if his team lose be prepared for a sulky git for a couple of hours.
Yeah. I'd be totally miffed. At least he was nice about it *shrug*
Depends on what team is playing. If its the manc derby in the cup, you're in the wrong and should apologise.
Let's put this into perspective, guys. It's football! Football! Football!
Reply 53
exursist
i'd be hugely pissed off. its only ******* football,

Simple, i agree u should appreciate a relationship, but u cnt just ignore football...

Just because he if going to watch football and delayed a date doesn't mean he doesn't appreciate a relationship. By the sounds of it he made a genuine human mistake.

Where as the date can easily be re-arranged the football game cannot - as I explained in my previous post, football to a lot of people- including girls, is very a important part of their lives.

exursist, maybe you should go watch a football game at your local clubs stadium and make an effort to understand it. You may then realise why billions of people around the world find it such an important part of their lives. exursist - have you ever blown off your BF to go out with mates or shopping????

To the op - by what you have wrote it sounds as your bf made a genuine mistake. Maybe, as suggested go and watch the game with him? You will probably enjoy the experience of going to a stadium and enjoy the atmosphere which you can't experience by watching games on TV, its something that everyone should try out.
Reply 54
swordedstone
UMMM. LOL. do you realise that your boyfriends posted a thread about the same tpic on TSR, just obviously from his point of view?!:yep:

lol i did read that, but it's not my boyfriend as he's in work atm
meskell
Go the pub and watch the match with him (just don't be an annoying 'talking' girl whilst the match is on if you aren't actually talking about anything football specific - commenting on someones fashion sense/hotness is not cool!) and then go to the cinema after the match finishes, although if his team lose be prepared for a sulky git for a couple of hours.

Was going to suggest this. At least you'll be out and get to relax a bit after exams with a drink. I guess as long as it's not to a mainly football pub with all his mates and you're completely uninterested, then you'd just be more pissed off lol But try above! Or if he's staying in, then get a takeaway or whatever and watch together.
nothing should get between a man and his football! seriously!
i'd be so annoyed, you'd be looking forward to it as a treat, only to be blown out by football!
Anonymous
lol i did read that, but it's not my boyfriend as he's in work atm

haha. alright then. tbh, guys are such dickheads. give them two options, theyl always choose the wrong one.

my boyfriend is no different. he chose football over an all expenses paid trip to a beautiful place :frown:

lol. ul be alright. just whack him once a while to show his who's boss :smile:
hmm..id be slightly hurt...but then might aswell keep him happy so he keeps coming back :biggrin::

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending